Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 26 Feb 2017 (Sunday) 20:07
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Photojournalism Section?

arch-vandelay
30 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Post has been edited 4 months ago by arch-vandelay.
Feb 26, 2017 20:07 |  #1

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I noticed that there wasn't a section to share and discuss photojournal photos. Is there a specific reason? Or is it placed and talked about in an existing section? I'm just curious since I have questions for those who are veteran photojournalist.

Edit: Sorry I misplaced this thread and would like to request it being placed in General Photography Talk.

sponsored links
Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Post has been edited 4 months ago by Nogo.
Feb 26, 2017 22:24 |  #2

The way to move a topic is to report it to the moderators and when it asks why you are reporting it, select "Posted in wrong forum." To report a topic or comment first look under the users name and then click on report.

The right section for your question would AMASS Forum Software Talk
There is a family photojournalism topic on here, but other than that I am not sure where a photojournalism topic should go.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

arch-vandelay
THREAD ­ STARTER
30 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Mar 01, 2017 02:34 |  #3

Does anyone have any experience?

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,678 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
MI/CO
Mar 01, 2017 05:43 |  #4

A definition might be in order.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43external link

EveryMilesAMemory
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
Cedar Key Florida
Mar 01, 2017 06:02 |  #5

Would make for an interesting topic to discuss, especially with the topic that so many journalists these days simply use a cellphone

Pat Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.​comexternal link
www.patbonishphotograp​hy.comexternal link
500pxexternal link

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Mar 01, 2017 10:06 |  #6

I can see some merit to having such a sub-forum here.

It would be especially interesting if we had a few paparazzi photographers join the forum and contribute regularly. It would interest me greatly to hear their accounts about how they obtain their images. Probably one of the most interesting jobs in the world, at least in my opinion. That is the area of photojournalism that I am most interested in.

Tell us about your avatar here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=62390
Wildlife Photographed in the Wild: http://www.tomreichner​.com/Wildlife (external link)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/9036119@N02/ (external link)
Please feel free to send me a PM, or to email me at tomreichner@yahoo.com

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,010 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Post has been edited 3 months ago by kf095.
Mar 01, 2017 12:09 |  #7

arch-vandelay wrote in post #18288544 (external link)
Does anyone have any experience?

It is super easy! Be socially active. Listen local news on the radio, meet local activists on protests, politicians on events and volunteer yourself with community. Once you are engaged with community, region, country life, all you need to do is to take picture of where you are and share it on Twitter and Facebook. At event, politician, community, party and so on page. This is what photojournalism is these days. At least in my own experience.
Time for big magazines sending photo expeditions overseas are over. NG is posting pictures from amateurs and giving awards to amateurs. If you are interested to take pictures of melting Antarctica, AP is no help, but you have to be in touch with activists groups to get where.

And I'm agree with Pat Bonish on mobile phones. News departments are begging for amateurs to share their mobile phone images and videos. It is not only cheaper, but much more effective.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

arch-vandelay
THREAD ­ STARTER
30 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Mar 01, 2017 21:48 |  #8

kf095 wrote in post #18288917 (external link)
It is super easy! Be socially active. Listen local news on the radio, meet local activists on protests, politicians on events and volunteer yourself with community. Once you are engaged with community, region, country life, all you need to do is to take picture of where you are and share it on Twitter and Facebook. At event, politician, community, party and so on page. This is what photojournalism is these days. At least in my own experience.
Time for big magazines sending photo expeditions overseas are over. NG is posting pictures from amateurs and giving awards to amateurs. If you are interested to take pictures of melting Antarctica, AP is no help, but you have to be in touch with activists groups to get where.

And I'm agree with Pat Bonish on mobile phones. News departments are begging for amateurs to share their mobile phone images and videos. It is not only cheaper, but much more effective.

Thanks for the tips.

Also thanks for the initial feedback. In our current political and social environment I've been seeing more news worthy events, but not sure how to approach these oppurtunities. There are a lot of questions that I would love to ask anyone who's well versed in this area. Such as:

What kind of situations have you personally encountered?
Was it easy to talk to those who were present? (It probably depends of the situtation of course)
What are some things to look out for while at events like (riots, protests, political campaigns, environmental stories, etc)
What type/kind of gear is best for specific situations?
Any fear of getting caught in the action yourself?
Since you're not affliated with any new organization how do you interact with the police?
Is there animosity from those who are professional photojournalist about the media using your average Joe's photos/videos for the news?

These are just some subjects I would love to discuss and learn more about these and more.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Mar 01, 2017 23:19 as a reply to arch-vandelay's post |  #9

You really need to watch Nightcrawler, starring Jake Gyllenhaal. . It's fiction, and probably strays from reality quite a bit, but nonetheless, it will feed your desire to learn more about this stuff. . The one saying I remember from the film is, "If it bleeds, it leads!"

Tell us about your avatar here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=62390
Wildlife Photographed in the Wild: http://www.tomreichner​.com/Wildlife (external link)

J ­ Michael
Joined Feb 2010
Atlanta
Mar 03, 2017 12:57 |  #10

arch-vandelay wrote in post #18289319 (external link)
Thanks for the tips.

Also thanks for the initial feedback. In our current political and social environment I've been seeing more news worthy events, but not sure how to approach these oppurtunities. There are a lot of questions that I would love to ask anyone who's well versed in this area. Such as:

Was it easy to talk to those who were present? (It probably depends of the situtation of course)
What are some things to look out for while at events like (riots, protests, political campaigns, environmental stories, etc)
Since you're not affliated with any new organization how do you interact with the police?
Is there animosity from those who are professional photojournalist about the media using your average Joe's photos/videos for the news?

These are just some subjects I would love to discuss and learn more about these and more.

I've been shooting protests since the late 80s. I usually record audio whether I shoot video or not since you can put stills and audio together in a video like a slide show. I find those participating very willing to talk. I like to focus on the personalities rather than the landscape, although I'll occasionally shoot wide. So for me a 100-400 works well on a 5D. The only thing you usually need to watch out for is getting corralled into a place you can't escape. As far as interacting with those trying to maintain order just be polite. They don't care whether you are affiliated with a news org or not and I usually shoot things the news orgs aren't interested in (yet) like the early Tea Party protests. Occasionally I'll get a request from a media outlet to use something. If you start shooting this type of thing hook up with a good stock agency like Alamy. Watch your local Twitter feed for info on upcoming events.

Photo: Brotherhood March II, Cumming GA 1987

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

arch-vandelay
THREAD ­ STARTER
30 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Mar 06, 2017 22:58 |  #11

J Michael wrote in post #18290785 (external link)
I've been shooting protests since the late 80s. I usually record audio whether I shoot video or not since you can put stills and audio together in a video like a slide show. I find those participating very willing to talk. I like to focus on the personalities rather than the landscape, although I'll occasionally shoot wide. So for me a 100-400 works well on a 5D. The only thing you usually need to watch out for is getting corralled into a place you can't escape. As far as interacting with those trying to maintain order just be polite. They don't care whether you are affiliated with a news org or not and I usually shoot things the news orgs aren't interested in (yet) like the early Tea Party protests. Occasionally I'll get a request from a media outlet to use something. If you start shooting this type of thing hook up with a good stock agency like Alamy. Watch your local Twitter feed for info on upcoming events.

Photo: Brotherhood March II, Cumming GA 1987

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by J Michael in
./showthread.php?p=182​90785&i=i156458792
forum: General Photography Talk

Thank you very much, this was very helpful.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,010 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by kf095. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 07, 2017 11:56 |  #12

arch-vandelay wrote in post #18289319 (external link)
Thanks for the tips.

Make your own page with free press. Call it "free press", order five hundreds of business cards with your name, "Free Press" name, web address and e-mail. Wear it on events, give business cards if asked.

You don't have to talk to anyone. Your camera has to tell the story. To tell the story you need to be as close as possible to the action. Do not use tele for it. Use 35 or 28 mm equivalent for it.

http://ccp-emuseum.catnet.arizona​.edu ...cb-4677-a074-6fddf064db51 (external link)

http://ccp-emuseum.catnet.arizona​.edu ...cb-4677-a074-6fddf064db51 (external link)

http://ccp-emuseum.catnet.arizona​.edu ...5b-4c36-9ad3-a1738d080c0e (external link)

I left DSLR long time ago. Personally, I prefer film Leica for it. Digital Leica is my second choice if I need to post few hours, one hour later or while it is still going on. I don't need hundreds of shots, but one to document it. Any digital camera with rangefinder style shooting will do. Avoid SLR style cameras, they force you to tunel vision and it is not only limiting your picture taking, it is less secure to walk with them and frame in the crowd. RF style camera allows you to have one eye to be open and observe all the time.

Take photos of action. Not posed ones on camera.

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7727/16887480853_175b15b015_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rJhK​GZ] (external link)

You have to start it at your own. Post it at local community forums. If you are good, you'll be noticed and politicians will ask for pictures. It is up to you to grow your relation with them deeper or to keep distance, but be involved.
News media is always asking for pictures. Take picture, load memory card into your mobile phone and send it to them, ASAP. If you are good it will be posted. Use it as the reference, post it at your "Free Press" blog.

But if you are already asking about animosity, police and getting caught do not get into the riots right now. Take pictures of civilized protests, local events, first It is about helping your community isn't it? More events you will document, more you will learn and more confidence you will gain.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

arch-vandelay
THREAD ­ STARTER
30 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Mar 07, 2017 23:30 |  #13

kf095 wrote in post #18294384 (external link)
Make your own page with free press. Call it "free press", order five hundreds of business cards with your name, "Free Press" name, web address and e-mail. Wear it on events, give business cards if asked.

You don't have to talk to anyone. Your camera has to tell the story. To tell the story you need to be as close as possible to the action. Do not use tele for it. Use 35 or 28 mm equivalent for it.

http://ccp-emuseum.catnet.arizona​.edu ...5b-4c36-9ad3-a1738d080c0e (external link)

I left DSLR long time ago. Personally, I prefer film Leica for it. Digital Leica is my second choice if I need to post few hours, one hour later or while it is still going on. I don't need hundreds of shots, but one to document it. Any digital camera with rangefinder style shooting will do. Avoid SLR style cameras, they force you to tunel vision and it is not only limiting your picture taking, it is less secure to walk with them and frame in the crowd. RF style camera allows you to have one eye to be open and observe all the time.

Take photos of action. Not posed ones on camera.

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rJhK​GZ] (external link)

You have to start it at your own. Post it at local community forums. If you are good, you'll be noticed and politicians will ask for pictures. It is up to you to grow your relation with them deeper or to keep distance, but be involved.
News media is always asking for pictures. Take picture, load memory card into your mobile phone and send it to them, ASAP. If you are good it will be posted. Use it as the reference, post it at your "Free Press" blog.

But if you are already asking about animosity, police and getting caught do not get into the riots right now. Take pictures of civilized protests, local events, first It is about helping your community isn't it? More events you will document, more you will learn and more confidence you will gain.

Wow, that's great information thanks for the reply. For sure, I'm not looking to get into any riots but some of the protests around my area have devolved into them. Also the reference photos are exactly I want to capture. Thanks again and hopefully I'll be posting up some photos soon. Any one else with knowledge please feel free to reply, I'd love to know more.

EOS-Mike
Joined Oct 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Mar 08, 2017 19:57 as a reply to arch-vandelay's post |  #14

You can get police scanner apps on your phone. I personally have a difficult understanding what they're talking about, but it's interesting.

Some municipalities use what's called a trunk scanner, which (if I am correct) means you can't access it through an app but need to buy a police scanner (Radio Shack, Amazon, etc.).

Then drive into the city, listen for a report, and you might even get to the scene before the emergency crews.

You can also predict news events (president coming to town, extreme weather on the way, protests, etc.).

Personally, I've thought of doing it myself. If I ever get into it I won't be using a DSLR. I'd much rather have a mirrorless that's discrete but able to shoot quickly (like the Sony A6300 or the Fujis). I'd also make sure the camera has a silent shutter mode. The two newest Sony's do (A6300 and 6500). I think the Fujis do as well. It would help (especially if they have viewfinders AND if you can switch off the back screen).

Stealth is the way to go, because if things get crazy, whoever is the bad guy in a situation isn't going to like the press.

Canon 6D, 24-105L, 50mm 1.8 stm

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Mar 09, 2017 00:31 |  #15

EOS-Mike wrote in post #18295822 (external link)
You can get police scanner apps on your phone. I personally have a difficult understanding what they're talking about, but it's interesting.

Then drive into the city, listen for a report, and you might even get to the scene before the emergency crews.

Sounds like you've seen that movie that I suggested in post #9 .-. Nightcrawler

sponsored links

1,562 views & 6 likes for this thread
Photojournalism Section?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.