Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Fashion, Editorial & Commercial
Thread started 27 Feb 2017 (Monday) 14:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

HOW TO TAKE BETTER PHOTOGRAPHS OF BRASS ON WOOD

waynesplash
79 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Feb 27, 2017 14:22 |  #1

Hi all,

Using a Sony 4k Camcorder with 20 mp still. If you seen these in real life, there are super polished and mirror bras as you all have seen like on a saxophone, but these are my best attempts, and we are putting these on a web-Site, so want them looking as good as anything out there, any help would be great, thank you.

Wayne

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
waynesplash
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Feb 27, 2017 14:24 |  #2

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

waynesplash
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Feb 27, 2017 14:26 |  #3

Hi all,
Funny, the ones that look more gold color, are done at night with lights on, and the ones that are not so, are done in conservatory in daylight.

Wayne

bjbsav
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Savannah, GA
Feb 27, 2017 23:16 as a reply to waynesplash's post |  #4

Have you tried adjusting your white balance?

My name is Ben from Savannah, GA
Canon cameras and glass
Facebook - Brengman Photography (external link) My Website (external link)

PhotosGuy
74,727 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Post has been edited 7 months ago by PhotosGuy.
Feb 27, 2017 23:42 |  #5

Do you have a white wall? Try shooting the plaques with the white wall behind you & aim a light at the wall. Move it around a little & watch the effect on the plaque.
Look at the coins here for some ideas on how the light works with reflective metal surfaces: FAQ - Studio Lighting

Edit: And as bjbsav brought up, set the WB to the light you used.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

Scott ­ Spellman
Joined Oct 2015
Royal Oak MI
Feb 28, 2017 10:39 |  #6

Using a camcorder for stills is much harder than a regular DSLR or even point and shoot for good product photos. With a DSLR you can control White Balance in editing. You need to setup an area to shoot the plaques with a good background and large white cardstock mounted across from the mounting place to eliminate weird reflections and discolorations.

corndog ­ cabernet
Joined May 2010
State of chaos
Post has been last edited 7 months ago by corndog cabernet. 3 edits done in total.
Mar 01, 2017 15:40 |  #7

Prop them up on a table top well away from the background. Use incandescent (warm) light angled to both illuminate the plaque and somewhat reflect into the lens. Shoot with enough aperture to get the plaque fully in focus and no more, with camera close to subject, as to obscure whatever background there might be. Take multiple frames at different aperture settings to hedge your bet.
-or-
Get them outside. Green foliage or leaves or cloudy blue sky, or something reflecting off that brass. Isolate the plaques from their background. Shoot in shade and expose to bring out some detail in the wood.
Besides not highlighting the brass, the background sucks in your pics. You're photographing the plaques, not the homely background.

Remember, you photograph light. If it doesn't look good to your eye it won't look good as a photograph.

My two bits

Micro5797
Joined Dec 2013
Montana
Mar 01, 2017 17:20 |  #8

I would use a bare bulb lamp (no shade on it) using wax paper between the light and the plaques, closer to the light (but don't lite the wax paper on fire). This would keep the reflection even on the whole plaque, eliminating the issue with the right side of images 1,3. This will make the light act more like a softbox, giving even light across the whole plaque.

corndog ­ cabernet
Joined May 2010
State of chaos
Mar 01, 2017 18:32 |  #9

Micro5797 wrote in post #18289136 (external link)
I would use a bare bulb lamp (no shade on it) using wax paper between the light and the plaques, closer to the light (but don't lite the wax paper on fire). This would keep the reflection even on the whole plaque, eliminating the issue with the right side of images 1,3. This will make the light act more like a softbox, giving even light across the whole plaque.

Yeah, that sound right. Something to diffuse the light somewhat.

I have almost no experience using a camcorder, and none using one for stills so I can't really fully envision the process. But if he can manually set the aperture and pays attention to the light, he should be able to get it done. And, oh yeah, use a tripod.

Micro5797
Joined Dec 2013
Montana
Mar 01, 2017 21:07 |  #10

I have seen stills that my friend takes with his Sony ax100 with that ziss lens f/2.8. You wouldn't know that it wasn't DSLR.

waynesplash
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Mar 05, 2017 18:13 |  #11

Ok ths all. Yes it's a Sony AX 100.

Wayne

sponsored links

1,292 views & 3 likes for this thread
HOW TO TAKE BETTER PHOTOGRAPHS OF BRASS ON WOOD
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Fashion, Editorial & Commercial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.