Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive
Thread started 27 Feb 2017 (Monday) 14:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Mitakon 35mm f0.95

iplayazi
544 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Calgary Alberta
Post has been edited 8 months ago by iplayazi.
Feb 27, 2017 14:26 |  #1

Thought I would start this thread. Not many people have this lens. IMO It's a character lens that brings canon 50mm 1.2 full frame goodness to a crop camera. Manual focus lens

Taken with a Fuji Xt2

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Todd Kwiczak
Canon Gear
www.tkshotz.comexternal link

sponsored links
iplayazi
THREAD ­ STARTER
544 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Calgary Alberta
Post has been edited 8 months ago by iplayazi.
Feb 27, 2017 14:27 |  #2

2 more. Shot at 32,000 shutter and ISO 200 f0.95

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Todd Kwiczak
Canon Gear

iplayazi
THREAD ­ STARTER
544 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Calgary Alberta
Mar 14, 2017 15:28 |  #3

Just for sh*ts and giggles I took a couple same frame shots. focus is slightly different but it compares my 5dmkiv with 50mm f.12 (first one) and my Fuji xt2 and 35mm Mitakon F0.95. Pretty comparable. Both wide open. I never do these kind of shots I am more of a real world shooter but it got me curious Just a side note that the contrast is very similar the xt2 is slightly more exposed

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Todd Kwiczak
Canon Gear

philodelphi
Joined May 2008
King of Prussia PA USA
May 30, 2017 13:02 |  #4

I am pretty smitten with this lens... here are two:

HOSTED PHOTO
HOSTED PHOTO

Canon EOS 6D | Sony α6300 / ILCE-6300, DSC-RX100M2 |

ecka
Joined Oct 2009
May 31, 2017 13:10 |  #5

Nice shots.
Actually, F0.95 on APS-C is eqvivalent to F1.4 on FullFrame. Considering that it is twice as expensive and has no AF :( ... no wonder why not many people have this lens. Too bad it doesn't work on FF.
Thank you for sharing. Keep them coming ;)

Gear List ~(Size Matters!)~ flickr (external link)

F2Bthere
725 posts
Joined Oct 2015
May 31, 2017 23:05 |  #6

Great thread. Thanks for starting this. This is an interesting lens.

Looking forward to seeing more images!

ecka wrote in post #18367545 (external link)
Nice shots.
Actually, F0.95 on APS-C is eqvivalent to F1.4 on FullFrame.

Umm....no.

Light gathering is the same on both. f0.95 is f0.95.

DOF does not change by more than a stop between FF and APSC on Fuji. Perhaps you are thinking of the Canon crop sensor size?

https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

ecka
Joined Oct 2009
Post has been edited 5 months ago by ecka.
Jun 01, 2017 06:55 |  #7

F2Bthere wrote in post #18368008 (external link)
Great thread. Thanks for starting this. This is an interesting lens.

Looking forward to seeing more images!

Umm....no.

DOF does not change by more than a stop between FF and APSC on Fuji. Perhaps you are thinking of the Canon crop sensor size?

Well, clearly you don't know what you're talking about :)
F0.95 * 1.5 = F1.425 as simple as that.
DOF (as well as everything else) actually does change by more than a stop between FF and APS-C. If there was a 1.4x crop APS-C, then the difference would be around 1 full stop exactly.
Light gathering is NOT image brightness. This is digital, not film. ISO 100 on FF and crop have different values, different noise levels. Basically, camera manufacturers are cheating. They show you whatever number they like, just to fit the old and redundant exposure calculation formulas, or even to fool consumers into thinking their products are superior. You can test it by comparing the exposure of different cameras side by side. If you put the same lens on both and set the same exposure settings, you will get different exposure values, specially with Fuji, who's actual ISO numbers tend to be lower than competition, which makes them look cleaner, at the cost of the slower shutter speeds required to match the EV (like I've said - cheating). Fuji uses Sony sensors. But why Fuji base ISO is only 200 and not 100 like the rest of the them? - Maybe because Fuji ISO 200 = normal ISO 100. Look at those side by side CocaCola images and their exposure settings - FF 1/160 F1.2 ISO1600 vs Fuji 1/125 F0.95 ISO3200. It doesn't match, there's 2 stops difference. Was the FF underexposed by 2 stops? - I don't think so. Todd said "slightly" and I believe him :). OK, maybe twice, which is only 1 full stop, so where's the other one?
In a perfect world, to get the same image (DOF, noise, EV, etc.) on both FF and crop, you would need FF 1/160 F1.4 ISO4000 and APS-C 1/160 F0.95 ISO1600
FF sensor area is ~864mm²
1.5x crop sensor area is ~368mm², so it gathers 864/368~2.35 times less light than FF with the same lens and aperture.
1.6x crop sensor area is ~332mm², so it gathers 864/332~2.60 times less light than FF with the same lens and aperture.
However, real world results are a bit different, due to various light losses, like vignetting, F-stop and T-stop differences, etc., which leaves us with just a little over one stop, let's say 1⅓ stop for 1.6x crop and 1¼ stop for 1.5x crop.

Gear List ~(Size Matters!)~ flickr (external link)

philodelphi
Joined May 2008
King of Prussia PA USA
Oct 23, 2017 15:10 |  #8

I recently shot a wedding for some friends, so I felt comfortable taking a risk and tried using this lens at a tiny, badly lit restaurant. Pretty happy with the results!

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Post has been edited 27 days ago by Two Hot Shoes.
Oct 23, 2017 17:33 |  #9

ecka wrote in post #18368141 (external link)
Fuji uses Sony sensors.

Well as we are on the topic of people not knowing what they are talking about...  :p

Although Sony make the sensors used in Fuji's cameras they are made to Fuji's design. No other camera uses that sensor, it is unique to Fujifilm. Now for ISO measurements, brands like Canon or Nikon are using the REI [Recommended Exposure Index] standard for their ISO values. Fujifilm use the SOS method or Standard Output Sensitivity. Japanese manufactures are required by law to use one of those. The standards are just different & in many ways the SOS method is probably more objective anyway.

As for the sensor gathering more light, go take a photo. OK? Great. Now tape up either side of your lens about 1/3 of the way to block the light falling on the sensor has your exposure changed? No? WOW!

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,150 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 27 days ago by Wilt.
Oct 23, 2017 17:37 |  #10

F2Bthere wrote in post #18368008 (external link)

Equal DOF for equal framing is achieved when the APS-C is shot with a 1.6X smaller aperture than the FF shot. And that has nothing to do with brand name, and everything to do with optical physics.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Post has been last edited 27 days ago by Two Hot Shoes. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 23, 2017 17:41 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #11

Yes, but Fuji's APS-C value is equal to 1.519 like Nikon's. So that has something to do with brand names as those names use a different size sensor to Canon's smaller 1.6ish one.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,150 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 27 days ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 23, 2017 17:43 |  #12

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18479322 (external link)
Yes, but Fuji's APS-C value is equal to 1.519 like Nikon's. So that has something to do with brand names as those names use a different size sensor to Canon's smaller 1.6ish one.

re: 1.5x vs. 1.6x, you are correct and I neglected to account for that sensor size implementation difference.

nevertheless, the statement "DOF does not change by more than a stop between FF and APSC" was incorrect -- whether 1.5x or 1.6x applies!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Colorblinded
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
Oct 24, 2017 21:45 |  #13

I'm quite curious how this compares to the Saisonic Kamlan 50 1.1. Both are available in EF-M mount but the Saisonic is a lot cheaper and could be fun for portraits.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.comexternal link
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.comexternal link

philodelphi
Joined May 2008
King of Prussia PA USA
Oct 25, 2017 07:25 as a reply to Colorblinded's post |  #14

I actually have both now, but with Sony mount. They are similar, but Mitakon is clearly sharper so far.

Colorblinded
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
Oct 25, 2017 08:31 |  #15

philodelphi wrote in post #18480487 (external link)
I actually have both now, but with Sony mount. They are similar, but Mitakon is clearly sharper so far.

I would hope so!

Still, I have trouble justifying this at its price for how much I'd probably use it. The Saisonic, being both a focal length I'd use more on that sensor size and in the price range I'd be ok splurging on a toy I might hardly use, is a lot more tempting.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.comexternal link
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.comexternal link

sponsored links

2,139 views & 11 likes for this thread
Mitakon 35mm f0.95
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.