Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases
Thread started 01 Mar 2017 (Wednesday) 16:30
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Lowepro Protactic 450 AW

Fast351
46 posts
Joined Jan 2014
Minnesota
Mar 01, 2017 16:30 |  #1

So my wife and I recently traveled to Saint Lucia for a winter vacation. We actually scheduled a guided photo tour with a photographer there, so I wanted to make sure I could bring both our cameras, and we also just got a GoPro for shooting underwater while SCUBA diving, so that needed to come with. Additionally, I always bring my laptop so I can upload pictures as we go, both for backup purposes and to keep family in the loop as we enjoy the warmth of the Caribbean!

Anyway, I initially ordered the 350AW size of this bag, and while it was nice, it just BARELY didn't fit my Dell laptop with a 13.3" screen (it's advertised as holding a 13" laptop, and they weren't kidding, not a millimeter bigger).

The 450, while a little bigger, fit everything just right.

My list of gear hauled in this bag:

Dell Latitude 3330
Canon SL1 with 18-55 EF-S attached
Canon 55-250
Canon 70D with 17-55 EF-S attached
Canon 24-105L
Canon 35/2.0
Tokina 11-16
Speedlite 430II flash
B&W 77 polarizer
4 hoods for lenses
4 batteries + charger for SL1
3 batteries + charger for 70D
GoPro Hero5
GoPro SuperSuit housing
GoPro housing handle

Miscellaneous cables and flash cards and thumb drives.

The total weight of the pack was 22#. It isn't something I'd want to haul around while hiking but it worked great for getting the gear down there safely on the plane. I brought a small Adorama slinger bag for daily use.

The good:

Very secure system, hardish shell, fit great in overhead bins, stored lots of stuff, relatively comfortable to carry (as comfortable as a 22# backpack can be anyway).

The bad:

Kind of expensive ($180). The bag itself weighs a couple pounds, so heavy for hiking use. The access to the lenses is awkward since it goes through a panel that faces your back.

I would definitely buy it again! It will be my haul gear bag for all future trips, but you need a day bag for walking around.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mike
flickr (external link)
Canon 70D | Tokina 11-16 f2.8 DX | Canon 17-55 f2.8 | Canon 24-105 f4L | Canon 35 f2.0 IS
Canon SL1 | Canon 18-55 IS STM | Canon 55-250 IS II

sponsored links
bigVinnie
795 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Roaming the USA
Mar 03, 2017 10:49 |  #2

Thank you for posting this. I was JUST looking at this very pack.

I currently have a Lowepro Slingshot 302. I hate it. Not really a backpack, not really a shoulder bag. Since I now use my iPad pro a lot to shoot with it really doesn't do much for me.

Sounds like the 350 might be just the ticket. Do you know if the mounting system is standard Molle? Lowepro just calls it sliplock.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

fplstudio
Joined Jun 2015
Sydney, Australia
Mar 10, 2017 00:45 |  #3

Got the same few weeks ago for my birthday and like it a lot. The only issue I can complain about is the excessive weight of the backpack itself.
The biggest plus are the unexpected comfort for such a huge bag and the 3 way access (top, sides, back). I highly recommend it, particularly if you carry long lenses (70-200 2.8 ii, 100-400 ii, 150-600s)

Canon 5Ds R | 16-35 4L IS | 24-105 4L IS | 70-200 4L IS | 100-400 4.5-5.6L IS ii | 14 2.8 Samy | 35 1.4 Art | 85 1.8 | 135 2L | EXT 1.4X II | AD200 | V860ii-C | 2x TT600

MiamiC70
Joined Apr 2009
Mar 10, 2017 20:18 as a reply to bigVinnie's post |  #4

Get the 450 AW if you will use with a gripped body otherwise will not fit in a 350 AW.

MOLLE is not standard but close enough. It is a hybrid of MOLLE and LowePro MOS system.

bigVinnie
795 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Roaming the USA
Mar 11, 2017 10:32 |  #5

Good info. I've been scouring youtube for info on this thing. I'm glad you said that about the 350. I was thinking about going with that one.

Most complaints I've seen have been about the weight of the bag and the straps being a little thin on the padding.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

remotehuman
I'm not into that
Joined Nov 2010
Quincy, MA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by remotehuman.
Apr 21, 2017 15:40 |  #6

I've had this bag for several months, thought I was having an issue with my camera being too tall for the bag and it was true but only because I left the L bracket on the gripped body. Without the L bracket it fits perfectly fine. I think that is similar for most bags I assume

Max | Gear | flickr (external link)

Anandnra
31 posts
Joined Jan 2016
Tennessee, USA
Jul 26, 2017 08:08 |  #7

I have this as well and use it for storing most of my equipment. It's a bit big to tote around. I generally use smaller one for travel taking only what I think I might need on the trip.

sponsored links

1,662 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lowepro Protactic 450 AW
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.