Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk
Thread started 02 Mar 2017 (Thursday) 00:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

FPS

Michael ­ Frymus
63 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Mar 02, 2017 00:27 |  #1

I'm on the lookout for a FF DSLR, that I can use for nature (landscapes) and soon to be wildlife photography.
The 1DXII would be ideal, but the price tag is fairly high and I could rather spend that on glass, other gear, or on travel expenses instead.

I was looking at the 5DS-R, not sure as it's not the fastest and not a camera intended for such use.
5DS-R = 5fps
5D III = 6fps
5D IV = 7fps.

Not much of a difference in speed, but these seem to be my best options of the Canon FF cameras.

I'm not sure how much 'fast moving' wildlife I will be shooting, so I'm not sure how critical it will be.
Would it be sufficient enough to own a 5DS-R with its 5fps? Or would something like a 5DIII/IV with 6/7fps be a better option for its speed?

*I am not interested in a crop camera (7DII).

Michael Frymus
Travel Photographer || Filmmaker || Vlogger
Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/michaelfrymus (external link)

sponsored links
NateD
Joined Mar 2015
Tucson, AZ
Mar 02, 2017 00:31 |  #2

I'm not sure if you're willing to consider used but if so you can get a used 1DX for the price of a new 5DIV. 14fps vs 7fps.

Just trying to be better than I was yesterday.

Michael ­ Frymus
THREAD ­ STARTER
63 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Mar 02, 2017 16:10 |  #3

NateD wrote in post #18289430 (external link)
I'm not sure if you're willing to consider used but if so you can get a used 1DX for the price of a new 5DIV. 14fps vs 7fps.

Definitely considering used. DSLR's are not really worth buying new for me. As they are always being upgraded. Lenses on the other hand, I prefer new.

I never looked into the 1DX. Ill take a look and see if it something of interest. Thanks

Michael Frymus

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Mar 02, 2017 16:17 |  #4

Id say a 1Dx used also, seems like prices are in the same ball park as your 5D options.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

Michael ­ Frymus
THREAD ­ STARTER
63 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Post has been edited 8 months ago by Michael Frymus.
Mar 02, 2017 16:23 |  #5

It is a 18.1MP camera though.
Somewhat lacking, and when doing landscape, or cropping on the wildlife,
won't that be lacking that detail I'd need?

80% of the time I will be using it for landscape for now,
But progressively I will be doing wildlife more (relating more to my field of studies)

The rebel T3i that I am borrowing from a friend has the same number of pixels.

Michael Frymus

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,707 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Mar 02, 2017 17:05 as a reply to Michael Frymus's post |  #6

It is what I use and I find no lack of "Pixies" in my 1DX. Would more be nice, certainly, would their poorer ISO performance be nice? Not for wildlife!

I print to A3/A3+ and 18mp is more than enough even allows a bit of cropping.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

bettatail
159 posts
Joined Jul 2010
37:47:36N 122:33:17W
Mar 02, 2017 21:41 |  #7

buy two cameras.

Snydremark
Myth-informed
17,862 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Issaquah, WA USA
Mar 02, 2017 22:19 |  #8

Michael Frymus wrote in post #18290059 (external link)
It is a 18.1MP camera though.
Somewhat lacking, and when doing landscape, or cropping on the wildlife,
won't that be lacking that detail I'd need?

80% of the time I will be using it for landscape for now,
But progressively I will be doing wildlife more (relating more to my field of studies)

The rebel T3i that I am borrowing from a friend has the same number of pixels.

18MP should be fine; and if you're moving toward wildlife and want frame rate, the 1DX should be something to look at. I have been doing birds and wildlife with 10, 18 and 20MP (40d, 7d, 7d2) for a decade and been fine; and many of the birding folk use a 1D series to fine effect.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

ShadowHillsPhoto
Joined Aug 2015
Schoharie, NY
Post has been edited 8 months ago by ShadowHillsPhoto.
Mar 03, 2017 07:27 |  #9

The benefit of FPS is going to be somewhat dependant on what you mean by "wildlife". Unless you're shooting explosive action like a cheetah chasing a gazelle, then FPS is overrated for most wildlife applications. However, if you are including birds in flight when you say wildlife then FPS is very beneficial, although you can certainly get by without having the absolute fastest camera on the market. If you plan to shoot a lot of BIF or other fast action I would lean toward the 1DX, but as a general all around wildlife camera I would probably pick the 5D4 most of the time. You may find this review worth reading: http://arihazeghiphoto​graphy.com ...-5d-mark-iv-field-review/ (external link)

Another important question is what sort of glass you have for wildlife? There's no sense in spending $3000+ on a body without the appropriate glass to back it up. With that kind of budget for a body I would expect you to have a 100-400 II to use with it, at a minimum. Even better if you could pair it with one of the fast primes. If you don't have lenses like that you would probably get more out of spending the money on glass rather than an expensive body at this point.

*Edit - I forgot to say, the reason I would take the 5D4 over the other 5-series bodies you mentioned isn't the modest increase in FPS (although it's not a bad thing). The real advantage is the better AF and noise performance.

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Virginia
Mar 03, 2017 16:44 |  #10

Go with a 1D-IV. It's only slightly cropped, and you will be grateful for the extra reach when you start shooting wildlife. It also gives you lots of FPS if you ever need it.

flickr (external link)

ShadowHillsPhoto
Joined Aug 2015
Schoharie, NY
Mar 03, 2017 20:47 |  #11

Larry Johnson wrote in post #18290972 (external link)
Go with a 1D-IV. It's only slightly cropped, and you will be grateful for the extra reach when you start shooting wildlife. It also gives you lots of FPS if you ever need it.

The 1D4 is over seven years old now. You can make an argument for choosing it vs the 5D3, but against any of the other options that have been discussed here it is simply out-gunned. Also, the 1D4 is equivalent to a crop from a 27 MP full frame sensor. Of the 5-series bodies that the OP was considering the only one where the 1D4 has a "reach" advantage is against the 5D3. The 1D4 is still a very capable camera, and it's a great value at the current used prices, but aside from value it doesn't really have anything to offer vs bodies like the 5D4 and 1DX.

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Virginia
Mar 04, 2017 15:49 |  #12

ShadowHillsPhoto wrote in post #18291177 (external link)
The 1D4 is over seven years old now. You can make an argument for choosing it vs the 5D3, but against any of the other options that have been discussed here it is simply out-gunned. Also, the 1D4 is equivalent to a crop from a 27 MP full frame sensor. Of the 5-series bodies that the OP was considering the only one where the 1D4 has a "reach" advantage is against the 5D3. The 1D4 is still a very capable camera, and it's a great value at the current used prices, but aside from value it doesn't really have anything to offer vs bodies like the 5D4 and 1DX.

You're correct. The 1D IV is still very capable and a great value. At 10fps it certainly does have something to offer over the 5D bodies. Michael's thread is asking about fps. IMO, fps is critical in wildlife photography, even for portrait shots. Imagine taking shots of a stationary owl as it starts to turn its head. Five more fps could mean the difference between getting the perfect shot or missing it completely. Also, Michael has one wildlife image on his instagram, a redtail in flight. He'll want more fps at some point. I'd definately choose the 1Dx over the 1D-IV, but price may be an issue.

Michael, there's tons of threads on here about choosing the right landscape/wildlife camera. I even asked that question a few years ago. I remeber reading that crop cameras can indeed make good landscape cameras. My focus, however, is wildlife.

flickr (external link)

Michael ­ Frymus
THREAD ­ STARTER
63 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Post has been edited 8 months ago by Michael Frymus.
Mar 06, 2017 14:55 |  #13

I've been following along to the comments the whole time.

It is a tough decision. I do have about 3 months or so to figure it out and find a good deal.
I'm not in a rush as I have to wait until I get back home and have the time and money to start shooting again, as I'm out at school.

Michael Frymus

3Rotor
757 posts
Joined May 2009
Oklahoma
Post has been edited 8 months ago by 3Rotor.
Mar 06, 2017 15:09 |  #14

As someone has already mentioned, going with two bodies will provide many more options. I get the idea of having one camera that does it all but having two will provide you with a backup if anything were to come up.

I know you said you do not want a cropped camera but the extra "reach" is nice. I don't know what glass you have for wildlife? If you are after birds, you'll find a 400 is on the short side on a FF. Is there a reason a crop body is out of the question?

Pure Speed = 7D Mark II
Some Speed = 5D Mark III

If I had to make the decision, I think I would go with those two bodies. Both combined can be had for less than what a 1DX goes for.

JESSEMAK.COM (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,707 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Mar 06, 2017 17:01 as a reply to 3Rotor's post |  #15

I, currently, use a two body system namely a 1DX and a 7D2. My photography is very focal length limited due to my (often) small subjects and I don't like to crop much. I can't buy a longer lens as Canon/Nikon don't currently make one!

Even at these focal lengths the 7D2 does not give a great deal of extra reach, though it does offer more reach it is rather less than one would expect. Additionally this is only under ideal or close to ideal lighting. That is why the 1DX is what I take the vast majority of the time.

Whilst the 5D3 + 7D2 would be an excellent combination I would take a single 1DX (Mk1) in preference. For static work the 1DX will do everything that the 5D3 does and at higher ISO. For more dynamic subjects the AF/speed or response and ability to drive larger lenses on the 1DX takes it to a higher level than either of the others and at double the ISO of the 7D2. Just my experiences.

Regarding the 5D4? I don't have much experience of them but I was impressed with everything except the price! Though it is not as fast responding as the 1DX it is pretty good. The UK price for the 5D4 has now dropped to roughly what I paid for my 1DX brand new! Plus a decent used 1DX will be much cheaper and still have around double the design life left in it compared to a brand new 5D4 - that 5D4 is a lovely camera just £1000 overpriced.

Just my thoughts..........

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sponsored links

2,146 views & 5 likes for this thread
FPS
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.