Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk
Thread started 02 Mar 2017 (Thursday) 10:38
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Shooting Basketball Tournament

ChrisMc73
Goldmember
3,205 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Edmond, OK
Post has been edited 6 months ago by ChrisMc73.
Mar 02, 2017 10:38 |  #1

Hello, I've been hired to shoot some photography during one of NCAA Mens and Women's conference basketball tournaments in the next two weeks and it will be my first time to shoot in the two different venues and honestly my first time to shoot any college sporting event.

I'm mainly getting shots of the sponsors choice such as these:

Outside of arena:
o Any branding of the tournament that include clients logo or name of company.
o People walking around the arena with any clients branded items.

Inside of arena:
o Game day concourse with clients branded tent and activation
o People walking around the arena and at the clients tent, partaking in our activation and using/wearing our giveaways.
o Branding of the court (clients & conference logo).
o Photos of the clients promotions during the game
o Photos of the clients mascot interacting with patrons at the arena
o Photos of check presentation and trophy presentation

So not a lot of the actual game I guess, but I'll try to get some of the game with the client's logo in the shot etc as well. I'm getting full floor media badge etc.

The questions I have are having never done this kind of a shoot before I just don't want any gotchas, and I don't know what the lighting is like in these big time college sporting arenas, hoping the natural light because of TV cameras etc is going to be enough? I have my 5D Mark II and a 24-70 MK1 and 70-200 IS MK1. I plan to rent a 2nd body and 3rd lens to have and use. What are some of your thoughts on a camera body and lens to add to my arsenal? I'm leaning towards renting a 5DMK3 or MK4 or 1DX, since my gear is older this is a good time to test some newer gear out for a future purchase. I thought about trying the newer 24-70 or the newer 16-35 or 11-24? Or should I get a bigger zoom, 300 or 400? Seems like these shots are more walk around "street" photography type shots, so maybe just a prime lens would do?

All your opinions and thoughts are welcome...

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,205 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Edmond, OK
Mar 02, 2017 14:15 |  #2

The more and more I read over the shot list, it just seems like I'm more of an event photographer or street photographer, party pic style, lol.
I'm going to shoot some of the game though, just for my own satisfaction, since I'll have the pass etc.

So maybe my two current lenses are good for now, but I still want to add a third lens, just not sure if i want a prime or maybe a super wide angle zoom ala 16-35 or 11-24?

pat.kane
559 posts
Joined May 2005
Arlington, VA
Mar 03, 2017 18:14 as a reply to ChrisMc73's post |  #3

I provided an answer in the other thread you posted, but now that I've seen the list of photos you need to capture, I wouldn't recommend the 300mm f/2.8 lens as your 3rd lens.

With a 5D Mk II with 24-70mm on one shoulder and the 1D X (or II) with 70-200mm on the other, you already have enough gear to get the shots.

If you really want to try something different, are you creative enough to get unique photos with something like a 11-24mm lens? I keep thinking it would be a great lens, but then realize I'm photographically challenged at the wider angle shots.

1Dx, 5D3 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,205 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Edmond, OK
Mar 05, 2017 23:19 as a reply to pat.kane's post |  #4

Thanks, yeah I had some of the same thinking you did and ended up with the 16-35 Mark III lens, to get some creative wide shots, since a lot of what my client wants is their logo and corporate type stuff.
We'll see how this goes, I'm excited and nervous all at once.

2,294 views & 1 like for this thread
Shooting Basketball Tournament
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.