Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk
Thread started 04 Mar 2017 (Saturday) 09:12
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Are Trail Cams useful to you as a wildlife photographer?

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Post has been edited 22 days ago by Pondrader.
Dec 31, 2017 20:25 |  #31

My grand daughter just sent me this text on her way into town lol best cam on the market... word of mouth

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Dec 31, 2017 23:17 as a reply to Pondrader's post |  #32

Holey Smokes - that's incredible!

We have Lynx around here, but I have never seen one. . A very special sighting indeed.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Dec 31, 2017 23:23 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #33

That’s for sure..: my turn next lol. That’s about a mile down the road from the house. It’s -27c right now and dropping so I kept my look see short and sweet.

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

ShadowHillsPhoto
Joined Aug 2015
Schoharie, NY
Jan 11, 2018 14:52 |  #34

I recently set up a woodpecker feeding station near the edge of the woods behind my parents house, with the goal of attracting a pileated to photograph. I can only get up there on the weekends and it isn't visible from the house so I have a plot watcher style camera monitoring the setup (it takes a picture every five seconds regardless of activity). This way I'll know when the pileated finds it and won't waste time prior to that.

Grizz1
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Northeast Missouri
Jan 11, 2018 18:50 |  #35

ShadowHillsPhoto wrote in post #18538829 (external link)
I recently set up a woodpecker feeding station near the edge of the woods behind my parents house, with the goal of attracting a pileated to photograph. I can only get up there on the weekends and it isn't visible from the house so I have a plot watcher style camera monitoring the setup (it takes a picture every five seconds regardless of activity). This way I'll know when the pileated finds it and won't waste time prior to that.

I do not like to discourage anyone in their efforts but I question how this system works and if it will be over whelming with useless information. It may work fine and I would like to know the outcome and how it produced info for you.
I've only used cameras and video that detect motion, they have a timer setting on them and the only time I use the 5 sec setting is when I'm trying to catch game passing at a right angle on the trail. When setting up on a food source I will up the timing to 30 seconds because the amount of pics will become too many to record and process, it's not impossible just frustrating to me.
For my cameras I have to consider: storage space on the sd card, battery life, and time to view the photos.
If I'm doing my math correctly you should have 17,280 pics in 24 hours and 120,960 in a week if if it were to run on a 24 hour schedule as my cams do. Yours may have a schedule setting for daytime only which would help.
Some game camera's that detect motion (I won't mention the brands here) will take pics of objects blowing in the wind like a long stalk of grass or blowing leaves resulting in hundreds of pics per day that can be so frustrating because you still have to look at them. Because of the ridiculous amount of junk pics they take they are no longer used.
I would also like to know if you're successful or not in getting a Pileated to the feeding station as I've never had one drop into mine that I'm aware of and I live in the country between two large tracts of timber. I have feed out for Woodpeckers in a natural setting,close to large trees in front of my house with Pileated flying overhead traveling from one tract of timber to the other and they simply do not hit the feed, They have landed on my roof, light pole and garage but have yet to catch one going for any feed I put out.
I also have no real nice photos of a Pileated which probably proves you shouldn't listen to me. Any way, I wish you the best of luck and hope all works out. Look forward to hearing the results whether they be good or bad or somewhere in between.

Steve
2 Canon 60D's, 70D 18-135,-55-250, Sigma 150-500 OS,Sigma 50mm 1.4 ,Sigma 120-300 Sport,Sigma 10-20. 580EXII

ShadowHillsPhoto
Joined Aug 2015
Schoharie, NY
Jan 11, 2018 19:24 as a reply to Grizz1's post |  #36

I should have provided more information and not assumed everyone is familiar with all the different camera types. The cam in question is a PlotWatcher Pro (http://day6outdoors.co​m/ (external link)). It doesn't create thousands of individual photos, it creates a single file for each day and you use software that comes with the camera to play back the images like a video. You can speed up and slow down the playback, and go frame by frame if needed. Running at the fastest playback speed you can go through an entire day in just a couple of minutes. Even at that speed I can tell the difference between the blue jays, juncos, nuthatches, titmice, hairy and downy woodpeckers, and the red bellied woodpecker that have been coming to the feeders frequently. Something the size of the pileated will be obvious, even if it only shows up for one frame. Also, the camera doesn't have an IR illuminator or any flash so it is daytime photos only and not a full 24 hour cycle.

As for the setup, I have two standard suet cages to draw in the smaller woodpeckers with the goal of increasing general activity in the area. I also have a large log feeder hanging specifically for the pileated, with holes drilled into it and packed with suet. It is located in an area with several natural dead snags which already had woodpecker activity (including occasional visits from the pileated) and I have added some holes and suet to the snag closest to the feeders. I feel pretty good about the setup and believe it is only a matter of time before the pileated locates it.

Grizz1
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Northeast Missouri
Jan 11, 2018 20:41 |  #37

Well I should have researched your system before commenting, this makes sense. As you can tell I'm probably not up to speed on the latest systems. And yes, I agree, you will find the Pileated quickly over all the other small birds.

It also sounds like you have a good set up that may work well to attract them, I would think this is about as good as can be done anyway and you just may be onto something.
I'm in the process of building another permanent blind that I will be placing on my East farm when it's finished, so if I find your baiting for Pileated works I just may try this in front of the new blind. It will be one that is comfortable in all weather so on days like we had today with a 30 degree drop in temps, rain to freezing rain, to snow, it was a day that the Woodpeckers fed heavily at my feeders. I will be able to sit in this blind for hours in bad weather, if knowing a Pileated may show up at a feed station set up just for them would make the waiting much easier.

Steve
2 Canon 60D's, 70D 18-135,-55-250, Sigma 150-500 OS,Sigma 50mm 1.4 ,Sigma 120-300 Sport,Sigma 10-20. 580EXII

ShadowHillsPhoto
Joined Aug 2015
Schoharie, NY
Jan 11, 2018 21:15 as a reply to Grizz1's post |  #38

Like I said, I feel good about the setup. It's been up less than two weeks at this point, so only time will tell. The small woodpeckers and songbirds had found it within the first two days. When I checked the camera last weekend I found that the red-bellied had found it by the fourth day and started coming daily after that. The pileateds are in the area so eventually I think they will find it. Between my parents place and the adjacent property that I own there are about 70 acres there, and on any given day that you spend more than an hour or two out in the woods you will hear or see them. Last Sunday I refilled the suet just before sundown and when I walked back to the house one of the pileateds flew right over the yard.

I'm also running several StealthCam P12 units on the property that Amazon had on sale for $40 before Christmas. So far they have confirmed that there are still some foxes hanging around the place. A couple years ago they had a den right next to the driveway but then last summer we seemed to have some diseases sweep through (I ended up having to shoot a rabid racoon and woodchuck and another woodchuck that had distemper over the course of about a month), and fox sightings dropped off after that. Glad to see they are still there, they are on my photo hit list as well.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4613/39641589901_557f0e56e0_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/23oZ​vzX] (external link)STC_0027 (external link) by Shadow Hills Photography (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4651/24773242837_a64297b784_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/DK8m​1v] (external link)STC_0022 (external link) by Shadow Hills Photography (external link), on Flickr

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Jan 11, 2018 21:42 as a reply to ShadowHillsPhoto's post |  #39

I'm loving that Eastern Cottontail!

It'd be awesome if you were able to find him in the daylight and photograph him. . Rabbits in the snow are, like, one of the coolest things ever!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

4,027 views & 29 likes for this thread
Are Trail Cams useful to you as a wildlife photographer?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.