Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 06 Mar 2017 (Monday) 21:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

aperture does not = DOF = how I think

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,391 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Mar 16, 2017 11:13 as a reply to post 18302480 |  #61

My cell is set up with manual "pro" settings, I cannot stand the defaults the S7 uses if you run it on auto. :)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,269 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 16, 2017 11:19 |  #62

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18302451 (external link)

Going back to the original post, it seems to me that your brain thinks this way because shutter speed is the most important part of the exposure triangle to you. So, anything that allows you more latitude with shutter speed is seen in that way only - all 3 sides of the triangle are important to you primarily because of what they allow you to do with the shutter speed. Is this correct?

I guess an example of what I am trying to say would be this:

You would value a 400mm lens with an f2.8 aperture, over a 400mm f5.6, because that f2.8 aperture would allow you to shoot at faster shutter speeds, whereas another photographer would value that f2.8 aperture because it would allow him/her to get parts of the photo more blurry.

Let me offer my own perspective on the discussion...I, too, used to think first of shutter speed, and aperture was the afterthought. Why?...
Because 1) my very first SLR (Topcon) had shutter priority automation and Manual modes. And 2) in high school, being on the staffs of the school newspaper and yearbook, my shooting was 'reportage' shooting...with a strong emphasis on 'get the shot!'
What mattered was that my shutter speed (for whatever film was loaded) was fast enough to get the handheld shot without camera shake blur, so shutter speed was primary consideration. With film speed determined by what film was loaded, and with shutter speed constrained by 'what was handholdable', aperture was simply 'inside the range of apertures' or 'not enough light'....whether I used my camera with its automation, or I used another camera with only manual settings and/or match-needle metering. I did not do a lot of 'creative' shooting, after all the cost of film and processing was a signficant consideration to a high school kid with no after-school job!

When I bought my OM-1 as my first camera after my student days, it had only match-needle setting and I would switch depending upon circumstance at first setting aperture or first setting shutter, situationally to suit my photographic primary motivation for that shot...DOF vs. motion control. And with more 'creative' shooting opportunities, my thinking morphed.

It was not until I purchased an Olympus OM-4 that I owned any camera with aperture priority automation, and I do recall it being a bit of an adjustment to go from Tv (Topcon) to Av (OM-4) way of thinking. Later my medium format camera also had aperture-priority automation. So coming to digital, it is most natural to use Av first, and I seldom use Tv... so the mental transition away from Tv is now pretty well complete. But if I were to again engage in 'reportage', my natural way of thinking will fall back to 'get the shot!' and DOF is a secondary consideration, and shutter speed is indeed the most important part of the exposure triangle in the 'reportage' genre.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,142 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Mar 16, 2017 12:34 |  #63

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18302451 (external link)

You would value a 400mm lens with an f2.8 aperture, over a 400mm f5.6, because that f2.8 aperture would allow you to shoot at faster shutter speeds, whereas another photographer would value that f2.8 aperture because it would allow him/her to get parts of the photo more blurry.

Ya this... 2.8 allows me to be more creative because I can create shallower DOF only IF I want and also allows for higher shutter speeds. Most think of 2.8 vs 5.6 = blurrier but I look at it two fold.. ya I get the blurry part but I also look mainly at when I'm riding the ISO line on lower light I get two more stops of shutter.

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,142 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Mar 16, 2017 12:35 |  #64

Wilt wrote in post #18302480 (external link)
^
I am perplexed that so many folks press the shutter button with the camera in any mode (like Av or Tv) and fail to SEE (in the viewfinder) any 'unsuitable' settings by the camera automation for the shot being taken -- too-slow shutter speeds or too-shallow-DOF apertures, for example. Whether I control everything in Manual, or control nothing (in the very rare use of P or Green box), I am aware of the trilogy of settings for a shot. That is very different from the 'brainless mode' smartphone camera, which does not display the currently selected aperture and shutter speed and ISO but which hides that information usually.

I watch my settings IN the viewfinder religiously and make adjustments as needed. If for whatever reason I'm at 1/500 and ISO 200 and the aperture is 2.8 but I don't want 2.8 I flick to 800 to get 5.6.... unless I want to slow the motion stopping shutter down... just depends what I'm shooting.

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

5,846 views & 40 likes for this thread
aperture does not = DOF = how I think
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.