Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk
Thread started 07 Mar 2017 (Tuesday) 14:23
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Another Europe camera thread

dmead516
135 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Mar 07, 2017 14:23 |  #1

Hi
I have read around the POTN and have digested all the info on the various recommendations for travel cameras. I am currently planning on a trip to Rome/Venice and was not wanting to drag around my 1d4, so I have compiled the following info:

Buying as to use existing lenses:

Canon EOS SL1
Canon EOS M5
Canon EOS 80D (then sell my wifes t4i and let her have this one)
Canon 5d3 or 4 (I am planning on FF upgrade this year so might as well be now)

New systems:
Sony A6000-played with one of these and not really excited about how it fits my hands but pretty good for the price.
Used Sony A7
Used Fuji XT1

I would like to not be that obvious as well as a potential target for thieves, so that is the reason for looking into the smaller cameras. I realize if I buy a 5d4 and it gets stolen I am screwed and out over $3k, and that was the reason for the 5d3 option.

I want to be shooting at night at the hot spots of Rome and maybe Venice, and am looking to take the 16-35 f4 and 75-300 to be able to be on the light side.

thanks for the info.

1DMK3, 1DMK4, 1NRS, 16-35 4.0, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 II, 70-300 4-5.6L, 85 1.8, 17-85, 50 1.8, 18-200, 135L, Mamyia 645AF, Metz 60-Ct-1, Metz 58

sponsored links
philmar
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2007
Toronto, Canada
Apr 19, 2017 13:29 |  #2

theft isn't a problem in Rome or Venice

A photo I took HERE published in National Geographic
Time on your hands? Then
HERE'S plenty more photos to nibble on
 (external link):

http://https ...photos/phil_marion/​albums (external link)

viennaweiss
Joined Dec 2016
Vienna, Austria
Apr 27, 2017 10:23 |  #3

Many times, when someone in America hears about cime (in this case, theft) they think "Oh my god!", but you would be surprised at how little crime exists in European cities (when compared to many comparable-sized American cities).

I would suggest you stay aware of your equipment, of course, but pick said equipment based on weight and what you'll need. Here in Central Europe, it's sometimes difficult to find a street that isn't packed full with people carrying carries in excess of five thousand dollars worth of camera equipment. Heck, I have stood on street corners at 2 o'clock in the morning with my photo-buddy, with (collectively) ten thousand dollars worth of lenses and cameras and never once have I even been uncomfortable about it.

Just keep your eyes open, and make sure you enjoy your time here.

viennaweiss.com (external link)

dmead516
THREAD ­ STARTER
135 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Apr 27, 2017 14:09 as a reply to viennaweiss's post |  #4

I understand. Thanks for the input, and I am always on alert when in crowded areas. I don't automatically think ill but just wanted to make sure I was not walking around with a target on my back, although in Atlanta that is really easy to do!

thanks again.

1DMK3, 1DMK4, 1NRS, 16-35 4.0, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 II, 70-300 4-5.6L, 85 1.8, 17-85, 50 1.8, 18-200, 135L, Mamyia 645AF, Metz 60-Ct-1, Metz 58

Manslide
39 posts
Joined Apr 2017
Apr 30, 2017 03:38 |  #5

I definitely agree with what has been said. I traveled to Europe for the first time earlier this year and traveled around a few different cities. I felt completely safe with my gear just about everywhere. Just keep an eye on it, especially in more touristy areas, as I'm sure you'll do and you'll be fine.

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
May 08, 2017 18:31 |  #6

I am going to both agree with and disagree with the above posters. There is a serious issue with theft (pickpocketing) in many European cities.... just as there is in many American and Asian cities. They key, as mentioned above, is to always remain aware. Especially if someone bumps into you or approaches you in a group to ask a question.

There used to be a "beware of pickpockets" sign on the platform at Piccadilly Circus Underground. the Police had it removed because the pickpockets would hang around and watch people tapping their wallets to make sure they were still there, then follow them and pick their pockets.

Similarly my wife went to Barcelona recently and while hanging around in a large square filled with tourists was able to easily spot the thieves moving through the crowd and casing the likely marks. Even worse, while in Prague some years back, the pocket on her backpack was slashed with a razor (she was wearing it on her front for security) while on a crowded tram. Luckily she felt the slight tug of it happening and was able to immediately move and then exit the tram.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Nick5
Goldmember
2,894 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Philadelphia Suburbs
Jul 28, 2017 09:34 |  #7

Dan.
Looking at your profile picture, I don't think a Pick Pocketer is going to mess with you!

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

sponsored links

4,047 views & 1 like for this thread
Another Europe camera thread
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.