Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Fashion, Editorial & Commercial
Thread started 09 Mar 2017 (Thursday) 15:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Is it impossible to shoot this kind of bottle 100% in camera?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,902 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 09, 2017 16:45 |  #31

It wasn't a hard edit to remove the label on the back. The hardest part was the weight/volume labeling that was affected by the label coming through. It took about as long as it did for me to set up some lights and try some tests of my own.

The left image is the original, the middle is with the label removed, and the final is blending of the liquid at the top.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

sponsored links
BJWOK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,303 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2007
Sydney, New South Wales
Aug 10, 2017 03:12 |  #32

Team, the issue here is the back sticker, the really large one!

We see through the bottle to the back of that massive sticker.

The question from my boss was is it possible to shoot so that is not seen (without removing it from the bottle, or removing any of the liquid). Check the video again, I explain it in a more clear manner:

I'd say the answer is no, but I am open to anyone who might have a better idea?

My name is Benon (BJWOK are my initials) :)
www.bjwok.com (external link) <<-- NEW LIGHTROOM 6 PRESETS FOR MUSIC PHOTOGRAPHERS
Benon Koebsch - Photographer (external link) (Facebook)
Gives A Minute (external link) (YouTube channel)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,902 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Aug 10, 2017 05:52 |  #33

OK, it looks like the large black label was on the front as part of the labeling, even when I looked at the file and edited it. Strange, I didn't even see after the emails? It was that back sticker at the bottom that I (and others maybe) thought was the issue. :(

There isn't anything that can be done unless you light the liquid from the inside out with a dark background so no light is coming from back to front. There is nothing that can be done with photoshop's either, not reasonably or to show a true representation. You have to overpower that label in the back, but since you need a white background, and you want the liquid to look like its natural lighting state, you have a seemingly impossible task.

If there is a way to either, I would think suggestions would have come forward, but the requirements make it nearly impossible to do this.

You may have to shoot with a black background and then edit that to white afterwards but that would take some time to make it look right using a bit of masking. What is the largest viewing resolution for the customers on the site? That is easier photoshopping than cloning out labels though.

davesrose
Goldmember
2,774 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Aug 10, 2017 09:56 |  #34

I've seen that product photographers will cut out reflective materials close to the size and shape of the bottle, that can also stand upright. They'll then place it behind the bottle. Depending on camera and light angles, that could take out the reflection of the smaller label. Since the back black label is not a reflection, I'm not sure there is a way to take that out in camera.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

FFFCFF
Joined Dec 2016
Warsaw/Poland
Aug 10, 2017 14:58 |  #35

I have an idea. Could You put the matt black background . Light the bottle from bottom (not flash). Then remove the black backgroud in PS.

Still learning English. Sorry for language bugs.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Aug 10, 2017 15:02 |  #36

Worse case scenario, you could try lighting it from underneath so the label is illuminated, making it beige instead of black.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

FFFCFF
Joined Dec 2016
Warsaw/Poland
Post has been edited 2 months ago by FFFCFF.
Aug 10, 2017 15:06 |  #37

OK. I have just found this bottle cost is about 50USD in Poland. Go to a shop, buy one, put it to a hot water, remove labels , make image, send it to a clinet, drink it - smile :-).

HOSTED PHOTO

BJWOK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,303 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Sydney, New South Wales
Aug 10, 2017 19:43 |  #38

Thanks all.

I'd say that this is the only time I've come across an instance in my photography career where it is impossible to "do it in camera".

Interesting!!

www.bjwok.com (external link) <<-- NEW LIGHTROOM 6 PRESETS FOR MUSIC PHOTOGRAPHERS

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,902 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Aug 10, 2017 19:50 as a reply to BJWOK's post |  #39

Daverose's idea of putting a black "mask" behind the bottle could work. Put enough light on the front of the bottle. black mask behind it evenly darkening the contents (but the light should be bright enough to overtake that), then also get the white background in the back. I think it is worth considering. I might try it myself, it could be interesting.

BJWOK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,303 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Sydney, New South Wales
Aug 10, 2017 19:55 |  #40

I'd be keen to see how you balance the front light to not change the colour of the liquid, but yes I agree, this might be the only real way to solve this one.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,902 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Aug 10, 2017 20:01 as a reply to BJWOK's post |  #41

Even though the idea is logical, I tried and couldn't get a black label to blend with a black background, and also not to get the liquid to be too dark. The clearer the liquid, the more difficult. If the liquor isn't crystal clear, ie. it would work a bit better. The only thing it did was perhaps make it easier to photoshop.

I guess if the label makes the bottle more valuable, then perhaps it adds value to the purchase by having it in the photo? :)

BJWOK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,303 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Sydney, New South Wales
Aug 11, 2017 00:02 |  #42

Heheh! Well the label does add value, but in this case I would shoot the back of the bottle to showcase the label, the front shot should not include it :(

FFFCFF
Joined Dec 2016
Warsaw/Poland
Aug 11, 2017 04:13 |  #43

Could You tell me one think:

If You can answare: How much do You charge for this pictures?
If You can't remove the label from oryginal why can't You just buy another one. I have foud it is not most expensive whisky on the world http://www.liquorama.n​et ...ourbon-whiskey-750ml.html (external link)
I think You charge much more than this is worth.
You can take a picture at the back with oryginal and take the front picture with the copy (label removed)
Sorry for my arguments but I thik it is the simple and fast way.
Client will newer know that You bought another whisky. Charge additional cost for post production and averybody win. (and You still own a $30 to $50 USD good whisky)

BJWOK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,303 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Sydney, New South Wales
Aug 11, 2017 05:14 |  #44

Thanks FFFCFF

To answer your questions:

1. I do not charge per picture, I invoice my time per shoot (usually a 6 hour shoot with 2 hours post to deliver the photos as required.)
2. I am not buying any of the bottles, they are provided by the client
3. I definitely do not charge nearly enough! I just spent a few days trying to negotiate a higher rate with my client but the end result was a resounding "NO"! (familiar tale with this industry, right?)
4. I am not able to remove the label (as already stated)

Additional info (in case you didn't watch the video in my initial post): I shoot in situ on location (mybottleshop premise: http://mybottleshop.co​m.au (external link)) and this bottle is one of approximately 80 bottles I shoot in any given shoot.

Here's a link to the types of bottles I shoot on a regular shoot for this client: https://www.facebook.c​om ...61102&type=1&l=1fc4​5fcec6 (external link)

It should be noted that all of the final images are provided in the same format: 1000x1000 pixels, floating on a pure white background.

I do not spend any great deal of time in post, I have a LR preset applied on import and then I simply use a photoshop path to remove the bottle from the "stand" (as seen in this image) and crop out the black reflectors so it's on a 100% white. Then I crop down to 1000 x 1000 and save out as jpg.

HOSTED PHOTO

FFFCFF
Joined Dec 2016
Warsaw/Poland
Post has been edited 2 months ago by FFFCFF.
Aug 11, 2017 06:00 as a reply to BJWOK's post |  #45

Thank You for the explanation. I understand now.
I thought that only in Poland are weird customers ;-)a

One more idea:

As I know this market (my colleague has such shop) sometimes manufacturers have high resolution photos of their products. May be it could be available for use in your client's store

sponsored links

5,623 views & 9 likes for this thread
Is it impossible to shoot this kind of bottle 100% in camera?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Fashion, Editorial & Commercial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.