Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 10 Mar 2017 (Friday) 19:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Great opportunity for a wedding photographer

F2Bthere
750 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Mar 10, 2017 19:50 |  #1

Found this on Craigslist.

DOWNTOWN WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER/ VIDEOGRAPHER WANTED- for JULY XX (XXXX)

compensation: BO
Hello!

My fiance and I are looking for a wedding photographer and Videographer (separately of course), for our low key downtown church wedding on July XX, 2017.

We are very focused on the marriage itself, and want to budget appropriately for a wedding that shows our love-filled spirit and low key personality.

Although we might sound cheap looking for photographers/videogra​phers on Craigslist, we are actually two attractive (and humble) young professional attorneys and this would also be a great start/networking opportunity for anyone who wants to start being connected in XXXX.

We really don't want to spend more than $600 on photography or video (each), but do realize that a large amount of time goes into editing and shooting weddings. Please submit a bid of what you think this wedding coverage would cost, covering about 6 HRS, including family pictures before and during the reception after. Let me know if you also throw in bridal portraits, engagements or some other specialty.

Please reply with samples of your photography/work, and a approximate cost. I would love to meet up with people who really fit our taste and discuss further the details of a contract.

https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

sponsored links
F2Bthere
THREAD ­ STARTER
750 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Mar 10, 2017 19:54 |  #2

Does this sound like a good opportunity to you? Why or why not?

Thanks for your candid feedback. ;)

dynamitetony
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Joined Sep 2007
london UK
Mar 12, 2017 13:48 |  #3

you want to pay less than a photogrpaher would probably normally charge

how exactly is this "a great opportunity" ? i dont get it

5Dmk4 : 5Dmk3: Sigma 24mm F1.4 :Sigma 35mm F1.4 : Canon 50mm F1.4 : Canon 85mm F1.8 : Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro : Canon 24-105 F4 : Canon 70-200 F2.8L mkii : Flashes, lights & Stuff

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,272 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by Wilt. 4 edits done in total.
Mar 12, 2017 14:19 |  #4

Put yourself into the shoes of anyone you hire, and ask yourself,

• "What time do I expect my photographer (and videographer) to arrive on the day of the wedding"
    ▪ to shoot photos of the bride during final preparations before the wedding ?
    ▪ only to shoot the wedding and/or the formal shots of the bridal party ?
  • "How long do I expect my photographer (and videographer) to stay on the day of the wedding?
    ▪ to cover the reception early on, and stay until B&G drive off into the sunset ?

I have shot my share of weddings and spent my share of 10-12 hour days, they are often very tiring endurance marathons! 6 hours at $600...does that expectation of time match your expectation of what is covered (above).

1.5 hours to shoot preparations of bride, then drive to the wedding
1.5 hours (rushed) to shoot ceremony and group formals
3.0 hours to drive to and be at the reception, then leave -- even though cake cut, key wedding party dance shots, garter toss and bouquet toss have not take place?!

Yeah, you might find a novice at wedding coverage will to try to do a reasonable job in exchange for the experience and material for a portfolio. Would you want to hire an attorney who just passed the Bar who is willing to work for half the going rate, simply 'for the experience'?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Amadauss
Joined Nov 2010
Lehigh Valley Pa
Mar 13, 2017 09:49 |  #5

If building a portfolio, might be worth it, especially if the couple is attractive. But you better have a great contract that covers all the bases. Anytime I see attorney listed, should just make you aware that they could become an issue. Their legal costs are free, yours are not. You better know what you are doing.

1-1Dx II 1-5D Mark 4, 3-5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 2-7D's, 70D, canon 70-200 2.8 L IS II, 24-70L II, 85 1.8, 85 1.2, 50mm, 135 mm F2 L, 17-40 , 24-105, Sigma 35 Art and 18-35 1.8, 600 EX's, Elinchrom RX and Phottix 500 strobes

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Mar 20, 2017 19:20 |  #6

WMSL! (I don't swear).

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

F2Bthere
THREAD ­ STARTER
750 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Mar 20, 2017 19:50 |  #7

Colin Glover wrote in post #18306341 (external link)
WMSL! (I don't swear).

What does that stand for? Google says a radio station or soccer league :).

I posted this hoping for a lively discussion ;).

Average wedding photography in our area costs about four times as much without engagement sessions or an album.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,276 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Mar 20, 2017 19:54 |  #8

The engaged couple wrote:
Let me know if you also throw in bridal portraits, engagements or some other specialty.

The thing to throw in is the towel.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,843 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Mar 21, 2017 06:10 |  #9

Newsflash... person posts ad on Craiglist wanting something but not wanting to pay a lot... erm... using the medium as most people wanting something on Craigslist do.

Good opportunity if you are just starting out and can't get any wedding gigs to build a portfolio. I've come across plenty of togs who haven't been able to get gigs even offering their services for free.

Not a good opportunity if you are running a full time toggery business. Not financially viable.

Bottom line... there are market segments from free to tens of thousands. This just happens to be one of those falling near the bottom end.

Couple being perfectly upfront about what they want and what they are prepared to pay. Any tog who tries to get the gig does so with full knowledge of what they are bidding for. Where is the problem with that?

Peter

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Mar 21, 2017 06:51 |  #10

Two attorneys and they can only come up with 600 bucks between them?

Must not be very good attorneys. :rolleyes:

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com ...282@N06/with/382034​70844/ (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,276 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Mar 21, 2017 10:46 |  #11

saea501 wrote in post #18306689 (external link)

That occurred to me, but then they may be paying off big student loans.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

dynamitetony
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Joined Sep 2007
london UK
Mar 21, 2017 10:56 |  #12

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #18306680 (external link)
Couple being perfectly upfront about what they want and what they are prepared to pay. Any tog who tries to get the gig does so with full knowledge of what they are bidding for. Where is the problem with that?

thats all fine but dont dress it up a "Great opportunity for a wedding photographer" because its not a great opportunity

5Dmk4 : 5Dmk3: Sigma 24mm F1.4 :Sigma 35mm F1.4 : Canon 50mm F1.4 : Canon 85mm F1.8 : Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro : Canon 24-105 F4 : Canon 70-200 F2.8L mkii : Flashes, lights & Stuff

AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
Joined Aug 2012
Applecross, Scotland
Mar 21, 2017 11:18 |  #13

saea501 wrote in post #18306689 (external link)

My thoughts exactly. And, anyway, why did they mention they are attorneys? Why would it be relevant? Is it a warning?

flickrexternal link

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Mar 21, 2017 13:13 |  #14

WMSL = Wet My Self Laughing. Told you I don't swear. Peter is right about the couple being honest for budget. I knew a social club who had a budget for acts. Any who charged more would get booked at what they asked for but on arrival were told they would only get the small fee. If they insisted that the booking was honored they let the act go on but would "Pay Them Up" towards the end of the first spot which is akin to getting buzzed off in the "Got Talent" auditions for a fee that covered expenses. Usually clubs only did it to terrible acts, but this one club were always doing it to get acts for cheap. However, Tony is also right. Here in the UK, goodwill stores (charity shops) don't ask for volunteers but instead advertise as 'Volunteer Opportunities" as if it's like a full time job, and that's a cheek. You now have to fill an application to volunteer.They should be grateful for people volunteering when in fact they are trying to make volunteers feel grateful for being given an opportunity. And this is creeping into paid photography, not just weddings, as companies promise 'Great exposure' in return for free or heavily discounted fees, when in reality it's hardly exposure at at all. How long before some so called 'Brands' want to charge togs for the opportunity to work with them for the 'Promise' of well paid gigs when the brand takes off, only for another struggling pro getting offered the same meagre crumbs next time? Or for a major brand to charge a tog for the (admittedly real) exposure?

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

bigVinnie
795 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Roaming the USA
Mar 24, 2017 15:42 |  #15

Just to be devils advocate here (literally?) Attorneys due a lot of work pro bono. So it's not like they are asking for something they don't do.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

sponsored links

5,801 views & 19 likes for this thread
Great opportunity for a wedding photographer
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.