Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 10 Mar 2017 (Friday) 20:55
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon and Sony with Sigma EF lenses?

randy98mtu
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Michigan
Mar 10, 2017 20:55 |  #1

I've been a Canon shooter for about 8 years. I have a lot of L glass and a 5D4. There is just something about the A7R ii that I can't resist, so I bought it (again) last week. I bought it with the 50 f/1.8 and sold my 35L since I now have the 35 f/2 IS. Now I'm debating returning the 50 1.8 and getting the Sigma 35 Art with the MC-11 adapter. This got me thinking about swapping all my Canon L primes for Sigma Arts (over time) Is there anyone else running with such a setup? Looking for thoughts/advice.

Canon 5D Mark IV | 35 f/2 IS + 50L + 85L | Gear / Feedbacks | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link) | last.fm (external link)
Sony A7R ii | B25 + FE 50/1.8 + FE 85/1.8
"We buy things we don’t need with money we don’t have to impress people we don’t like.” - Chuck Palahniuk

sponsored links
mike1812
283 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Houston, TX
Jun 01, 2017 09:56 |  #2

Not yet, but I have similar thoughts. I have my Canon kit and an A7RII with a few Sony lenses. I have the Sigma MC11 adapter, and have been toying with changing out my Canon EF glass to Sigma glass. It's a tough call. My 135L works just great on the Sony with the adapter, and images are great. So do I need the Sigma 135 Art? Probably not. I've found all my glass works just fine with the adapter. My decision is more around filling in holes in focal lengths, not completely swapping glass.

Do you feel that your current L glass doesn't give you what the Sigma's will? Just wondering why you'd swap out. For example, to me, the 135L -> 135Art is a minor upgrade, very negligible difference in IQ (at least in final post-processed raws; back of camera jpgs show a major improvement).

1DX | 5DIII / BG-E11 Grip | EF 135L | EF 70-300 L | EF 24-70 L (I) | EF 50 1.4 | EF 200 2.8L | Sigma 85 1.4 | EF 16-35 f/4L | (2) 600EX-RT / ST-E3-RT | 430EX | (2) AB800s | (4) Einstein E640s | Sekonic L-758 | Sony A7RII Gripped | Sony FE 55 f/1.8 | Sony FE 85 f/1.4 GM | Sony FE 70-200 f/4 G | Sony HVL-60M | Sigma MC-11 | plus too many doodads to list

randy98mtu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Michigan
Jun 09, 2017 21:08 as a reply to mike1812's post |  #3

What I find with adapted L glass on the Sony is the center point is the only one that works acceptably. The images are fine, and if you manual focus it's fine (and you get peaking which is nice).

Canon 5D Mark IV | 35 f/2 IS + 50L + 85L | Gear / Feedbacks | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link) | last.fm (external link)
Sony A7R ii | B25 + FE 50/1.8 + FE 85/1.8
"We buy things we don’t need with money we don’t have to impress people we don’t like.” - Chuck Palahniuk

elitejp
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Jun 10, 2017 01:28 |  #4

So its like shooting with a canon 6d but with focus peaking. :)

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

jay25
Joined Sep 2010
Lawrenceville Ga
Jun 11, 2017 16:24 as a reply to elitejp's post |  #5

Did not know 6d has focus peaking. What I like about Sony is that it puts that square on any part of the frame automatically. I don't chimp with my sony. Now going back to lense question. I got rid of 2 of my L and swapped out for art. Why? Canons were soft, the sigmas are way sharp. No need to sharpen on ps! Still own 3 L lenses. Debating to sell 2 more and get 2 more sigmas arts.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Jun 12, 2017 01:08 |  #6

elitejp wrote in post #18375100 (external link)
So its like shooting with a canon 6d but with focus peaking. :)

jay25 wrote in post #18376133 (external link)
Did not know 6d has focus peaking.

It doesn't. Elite J.P. said that it is like shooting with the 6D, except that it has focus peaking.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Croasdail
Cream of the Crop
6,608 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2005
North Carolina
Jun 12, 2017 17:21 |  #7

Why sell your L lenses? I use my L glass with a Metabones or Sigma MC11, Depending on the lens, autofocus performance is sometimes amazing (70-200 f2.8).. to gets the job done, to don't waste your time trying to autofocus. But as mentioned, with focus peaking, I am good to go with even manual focus. I have a 7 inch HD monitor hooked up to my camera and it works perfect. I wouldn't go back to traditional SLRs if you paid me. And the additional dynamic range is to drool over. I am keeping my L stuff in hopes Canon gets their acts together on the sensors - but Canon menus and feel is way better. I am hoping the new 6D will be mirrorless as the rumors have it.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

figo
695 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Jun 20, 2017 08:37 |  #8

I'm a Canon shooter but I've been using the Sigma 35 f.14 and 135mm f1.8 and I'm seriously looking at getting the 20mm and 50mm. Sharp, good build quality and you cannot beat the warranty (7 years here in Canada).

Canon 1D MKIV, 1D MKIII, Canon 70-200 f2.8, Canon 400 f2.8, Canon 16-35mm f2.8.

110yd
756 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Post has been edited 5 months ago by 110yd.
Jun 20, 2017 16:08 |  #9

I have been a Canon shooter for more years than I want to count. I was relatively happy until I put the Sigma 85mm art on my 5D Mk III. The
sharpness of that piece of glass ruined me. I now have 35/85/135 mm art lenses. I have been contemplating Sony A7r ii with an adapter. (MC-11 or Metabones)
For the moment I am going to hold off on adding a Sony body. I am hoping the next generation of the A7r ii arrives with some upgrades to make it more
attractive. Current battery life is a downer, so I am staying put for the moment. The auto focus of the Sony A7r ii is tempting, but with
adapted lenses it makes me pause. To many L's to start from scratch.

sponsored links

1,634 views & 3 likes for this thread
Canon and Sony with Sigma EF lenses?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.