Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 10 Mar 2017 (Friday) 23:31
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

35mm 1.4 ii need calibration?

dylan84
86 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Mar 10, 2017 23:31 |  #1

I am about to get the 35 mm mark ii lense, and was wanting to know of those of who own one, if you had to calibrate it. If so was was the focus much off with micro adjustment?

Thanks

sponsored links
CheshireCat
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008
*** vanished ***
Post has been edited 11 months ago by CheshireCat.
Mar 11, 2017 00:45 |  #2

Not sure why you ask.
If a brand new lens is not focusing correctly, then it means it is defective and/or the body is defective.

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

dylan84
THREAD ­ STARTER
86 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Mar 11, 2017 00:49 as a reply to CheshireCat's post |  #3

From what i've heard there are various opinions on this, especially when it comes to sigma lenses which are hit or miss, but can be adjusted. I have also heard that many people do this with all their lenses, canon or other

CheshireCat
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008
*** vanished ***
Mar 11, 2017 00:56 as a reply to dylan84's post |  #4

Indeed. Manufacturers have managed to offload their production problems onto customers.

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

Keith ­ Taylor
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Sep 2012
Adelaide
Mar 11, 2017 07:20 |  #5

I am using the 35mmf1.4L11USM on a crop body (7DII) and find it needs less micro adjustment than the other lenses I have. It has +6 dialled in currently, and complex subject material like tree leaves can produce 15MB JPEG files. These tend to be confined to using a tripod. This is regarded as Canon's best lens, but they don't come cheaply!

Keith

notastockpikr
387 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Canada
Mar 11, 2017 08:18 |  #6

I have the 35L II and mine needs no MFA. A new lens needing MFA does not mean it's defective. Many variables such as body used, focus testing procedure and interpretation of results all play a factor.

If you have the cash, don't mind the added weight and need/use the focal length, then the 35L II is a worthwhile purchase. YMMV.

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
Post has been edited 11 months ago by wallstreetoneil.
Mar 11, 2017 08:28 |  #7

As background, I own the 35L ii and I shoot with a 1DXii, a 5DSR and a A7Rii.

Lets start off with the fact that there is no downside of going through the process of checking your new lens with the Dot Tune method to see where it is on each camera - I will say that you have to be careful to try and do this in the similar type of light you will be shooting in. If you find your new lens way off, bring it back and get another one - or better yet, do as I do, and in store take 100 pictures before you pay for the lens to see what you have - and if you don't like it, ask for another until you find one you like.

Even with the above said, I think it is very important to understand the inherent variability of what any mirrorbox camera can do from a repeatability perspective especially at F1.4 (yes even the 1DXii) so it is far better to shoot in Live View using on sensor Phase Detect focus in order to actually be testing the lens because otherwise you are actually testing the DSLR's ability to focus the lens (obviously both are extremely important but you have to know what you are testing)

It is only when you have a comparison such as the Sony A7Rii (IBIS + on sensor Phase Detect) that this immediately becomes brutally obvious because you just never, ever miss a shot that is in focus - whereas this is just not the case with mirror box cameras.

So, yes you should always check new lenses and set them up as best as possible for each camera body but then also understand that unless you are shooting in LV with your Canon body, and you are shooting at F1.4, it isn't 'always' going to be tack sharp. There is no camera comparison that makes this more obvious than using the same lens on both the 5DSR and the Sony A7Rii and then taking 30 pictures at outer focus points and then comparing the results (it is sort of a mind blow when you see it the first time). For lower megapixel cameras (5D3 / 1DX), some, but not all, of this is hidden - on higher megapixel cameras (5D4 / 5DSR) it becomes more and more obvious until you actually reach the point with the 5DSR that you come to the conclusion that you need IS on every lens you use. My personal journey on this topic took place over the last 2 years and I completely revamped my lens ownership such that I sold the following lenses (Canon 35L, Canon 50L, Canon 85Lii, Canon 135L) and replaced them with (Canon 35Lii, Tamron 45 VC, Tamron 85 VC) and I only use the Canon 35Lii on the 1DXii - I don't use it on the 5DSR.

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

CheshireCat
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008
*** vanished ***
Post has been last edited 11 months ago by CheshireCat. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 11, 2017 12:41 |  #8

notastockpikr wrote in post #18298002 (external link)
A new lens needing MFA does not mean it's defective. Many variables such as body used, focus testing procedure and interpretation of results all play a factor.

At this point, I think we need to dig further into what AF and MFA really are.

Skip below to the short story if you have no time :)

LONG STORY

A modern reflex AF system is very good at nailing focus, and it does this seeing "through the lens".
However there are two important facts to notice:
1) What the AF sees "through the lens" is actually a reflection bouncing on the mirror.
2) The lens is focused wide-open, regardless of the final exposure aperture.

About number 1, if the mirror is not perfectly calibrated (factory QA issues, dropped camera, etc), then the AF sensor and the image sensor will not be at the same distance from the lens. This means that what is in focus for the AF sensor is not in focus for the image sensor.
MFA was invented to fix this issue, i.e. by shifting the focus of a certain amount before taking the shot, so to account for the image sensor offset with respect to the AF sensor.
MFA can be used to temporarily "fix" this camera problem (e.g. dropped camera) so you can continue shooting, but the only real solution is fixing the camera. This is why Canon asks you to also send the camera in for calibration.

About number 2, if a lens suffers from "focus shift", then what is in focus wide open is not when stopped-down. This phenomenon might be by-design (e.g. EF 50/1.2) or because a lens is defective. In any case, shifting the focus by a preset amount won't fix your lens, also because a single preset amount won't work in all use cases. In this case, simply send the lens in for repair (but don't send the 50/1.2 as there is nothing to repair, that is a pro lens and is supposed to have this issue as a compromise for rendering quality).

Now, it is easy to rule out problem number 1: just test with the lens wide open, if it is ok, then your image sensor and mirror are calibrated. If not, send your camera in for calibration.

It is not that easy with problem number 2: first of all, you need to know if your lens suffers from focus-shift by design. If so, everything is working as expected, and you just need to know how to use the special lens (hint: focus stopped-down with Live View). Unfortunately manufacturers don't provide information about which lenses have focus-shift by design, which is stupid because it frustrates users and would avoid lot of lenses returned because thought defective.

And then there's user error, such as not using only center-focus to test. And camera error, with crappy AF systems. And lens error, like the old 50/1.8 with a motor so bad that it could not be moved with precision.

SHORT STORY

In any case, MFA:
- won't fix your camera
- won't fix your lens
- won't fix you

;)

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

Sameer
Hatchling
Joined Mar 2002
Nepal
Feb 02, 2018 04:49 |  #9

My 35mm 1.4 II needed +6 MFA on my Canon 6D, and 0 MFA on my 5D Mark III. So I guess it depends on the body and not on the lens.

I blame my 6D because I needed +3 MFA for my 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, and again zero on my 5D Mark III.

5D Mark III (gripped) | 6D (gripped) | 35mm f/1.4L II | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 24-70mm f/4L IS | 50mm f/1.8 STM
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,552 views & 2 likes for this thread
35mm 1.4 ii need calibration?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.