Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk
Thread started 11 Mar 2017 (Saturday) 08:31
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

7d mkii vs 5dsr cropped for main Wildlife body.

CisherPhotography
Joined May 2013
Ontario, Canada
Mar 11, 2017 08:31 |  #1

Hi guys,

To start this forum is awesome. Just saying.

As per my post topic. I found a blog
( http://www.birdsasart-blog.com ...lations-i-finally-get-it/ (external link) ) and it made the 5dsr out to be a steller performer. But what if say a subject was shot from the same distance and the 5dsr was cropped to the 1.6 frame of the 7d mkii. Would it still hold its own?

I think a plus should be given to the 7d mkii's autofocus capabilities.

So which is the choice for someone already owning a FF (5d3) in terms of IQ/resolution. Im looking to have a better suited wildlife camera body.

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Post has been edited 8 months ago by Scrumhalf.
Mar 11, 2017 09:43 |  #2

Yes, many people have done this. The croppability makes it roughly equivalent in terms of "reach." However, it has considerably fewer fps, so the 5dsr may not be as good for BIF.
But if you have the lenses to fill the frame, the 5dsr produces stunning images.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been last edited 8 months ago by MalVeauX. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 11, 2017 10:02 |  #3

CisherPhotography wrote in post #18298018 (external link)
Hi guys,

To start this forum is awesome. Just saying.

As per my post topic. I found a blog
( http://www.birdsasart-blog.com ...lations-i-finally-get-it/ (external link) ) and it made the 5dsr out to be a steller performer. But what if say a subject was shot from the same distance and the 5dsr was cropped to the 1.6 frame of the 7d mkii. Would it still hold its own?

I think a plus should be given to the 7d mkii's autofocus capabilities.

So which is the choice for someone already owning a FF (5d3) in terms of IQ/resolution. Im looking to have a better suited wildlife camera body.

The 5D3 is already a fully capable wildlife camera. You're overthinking it a lot.

Put that money into incredible glass instead. The Sigma 150-600 that you're using is good, but a big white is a whole other level. You'd benefit more from better, faster glass, than a very minor camera upgrade (very, very minor).

Are you already handling a 300 F2.8L II, 400 F2.8L II or 500 F2.8L II or 200-400 F4L? Or Sigma equivalent? If not, then worry more about this. You already have a very capable body.

To your question, yes, the 5DSR will have the same pixel density as a 7D2 and basically has the same field of view once cropped to match, but the 5DSR has a wider field of view for composition and tracking purposes (which is nicer in my opinion). I'd take the 5DSR over the 7D2 for general wildlife. I would take the 7D2 or a 1DX if you needed RAW FPS for something moving incredibly fast to capture specific stances, poses, wing positions, etc. If it's a bunch of stationary or big lumbering flying birds, a slower FPS camera is totally capable with room to spare. But is splitting hairs in terms of benefits, compared to comparing a F6.3 entry zoom to a top shelf F4 or F2.8 super telephoto. I'd take the best lens possible and a junk camera any day over worrying about which top shelf camera to use with entry glass.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,153 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 8 months ago by Wilt.
Mar 11, 2017 11:57 |  #4

The 7DII has 244.3 pixels/millimeter (3648pixels/15mm) while the 5DS has 241.3 pixels/millimeter (5792 pixels/24mm).
IOW it matters very little from the standpoint of effective detail resolution (pixels on target) whether you mount a 400mm FL on either body, and crop the 5DS image from 24mm height down to 15mm height...the outcome is virtually the same in terms of the mythical 'reach'

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Tc202
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2012
Florida
Mar 11, 2017 22:12 |  #5

After using both, in my opinion, the 5DSR has marginal benefits in sharpness and contrast. The 7D Mark II gives you faster FPS and a bigger buffer. The 5DSR is my favorite camera, however the 7D II is great as well. Just like everyone said above I would focus on glass if you already have a 5D III.

IMAGE: https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5342/30958325692_c199e316a2_c.jpg
Photo from Tc202's gallery.

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1672/25790907574_b79e1e3835_c.jpg
Photo from Tc202's gallery.

Camera AF Guides:1DX Mark II (external link)5DS/ SR (external link)7D Mark II (external link)
Location Guides: Yellowstone Winter Guide (external link)Fort De Soto Guide (external link)
Instagram (external link)Guiding Services/ Blog: Outback Photo Adventures (external link)- Thomas

1,047 views & 6 likes for this thread
7d mkii vs 5dsr cropped for main Wildlife body.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.