Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 12 Mar 2017 (Sunday) 19:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Have You Ever Needed Your Backup?

NateD
Joined Mar 2015
Tucson, AZ
Mar 12, 2017 19:15 |  #1

Have you ever had a camera fail and actually needed your backup? I don't particularly mean through catastrophe (Fall, Water damage etc.) but has your camera just failed to work and you had to revert to your backup. I'm considering selling my backup to fund one of the two lenses I'm after. I have a very low shutter count 5D3 and a 1D3 as my backup and the 2 lenses in my want list right now are a 35 f2 IS and a 300F4. I realize for professionals a backup is sort of a must have. I kind of have a paid gig, I trade tuition at my Jiu-Jitsu school for photographing events, seminars, and some classes.

Just trying to be better than I was yesterday.

sponsored links
Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
37,489 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Mar 12, 2017 19:19 |  #2

Yes, in the middle of using the camera, all of a sudden it shut down and would not turn on again. I had to finish with the second body. It happens.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

K ­ Soze
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Mar 12, 2017 19:37 |  #3

Twice. My 5d MKiii had a massive failure on the mother board and died. The other time was my 1dX MKii focus screen popped out while shooting. Had to use my back up both times.

If you do not do a lot of paid shoots, or sports where you need to do a lot of fast lens changes, a second body may not be worth it to you.

photosbytw
Joined Jan 2015
Blue Ridge Mountains
Mar 12, 2017 19:38 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #4

Yes as well............had a garbage truck crossover center line to hit me head on. I acme out of it with some nasty bruises but my 5d2 had to be repaired. Canon did a great job but I was without 2 1/2 mos. You can't plan for this...............kee​p the backup and take it out every so often to play with.

tw
www.photosbytw.net (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,124 posts
Joined Apr 2003
British Columbia
Mar 12, 2017 19:48 as a reply to photosbytw's post |  #5

My 5D2 stopped working while shooting waterfalls on a photo trip to the Gorge. Lucky I had my 7D as a backup and allowed me to continue shooting that day. The 5D2 came back to life later when I let it dry out on the hotel radiator.

I always bring a backup body to places I might never return to. It's like insurance...the day you decide not to have it is the day you regret.

Bassat
"I must be the worst photographer on the planet"
4,666 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Mar 12, 2017 20:39 |  #6

Yeah, once at the mall a few Christmas seasons ago. I wasn't paying attention to the world around me when two unsavory gentlemen appeared right in front of me. Since I had my coat zipped up, I couldn't get to my FLETCH w/.45 ACP. Luckily I had my trusty Kel-tech .32 (Cor-Bon 71g FMJ) in my coat pocket. Whew! That was close.

Tom

photosbytw
Joined Jan 2015
Blue Ridge Mountains
Mar 12, 2017 21:21 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #7

:eek::eek:

tw
www.photosbytw.net (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Mar 13, 2017 00:36 |  #8

NateD wrote in post #18299243 (external link)
Have you ever had a camera fail and actually needed your backup?

No, never. And I shoot a lot and take my cameras to all kinds of rugged places and don't take particularly good care of them. I don't normally keep my cameras or lenses in bags or cases - they just sit out loose, whether they be in my car or in my home or out in the field with me. Yet, after years and years and years of shooting, I have never, ever had a camera or a lens fail to work, and I have never needed a backup.

Coincidentally, since I've started digital photography, I have never had a computer fail, either...........and so even though I back up my better photos, I have never needed to access any of my backup files.

Come to think of it, I have never had a memory card or a card reader or a battery charger or a battery fail, either. All of these things just seem to continually work, no matter how much use and abuse and misuse one puts them through.

Tell us about your avatar here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=62390
Wildlife Photographed in the Wild: http://www.tomreichner​.com/Wildlife (external link)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/9036119@N02/ (external link)
Please feel free to send me a PM, or to email me at tomreichner@yahoo.com

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Mar 13, 2017 05:06 |  #9

Yes once when my 300D was my only body, when it got wet. I was lucky the rain started at the very end of the airshow, so I did not actually miss any shots of the aircraft.

Then after I got my 20D I was at another airshow where I let my daughter use the 300D. I had bought a brand new 8GB CF card for it, as I was in need of more storage anyway. My daughter took quite a lot of shots of the aircraft in the museum, but decided not to shoot the flying display. So I figured I would use the rest of the space on that card in my 20D, and so shot accordingly. On filling up the rest of my cards I swap the card from the 300D to the new to me 20D, to find that the card would not write. On putting it back in the 300D it seemed fine, so I switched my rented 100-400L to the 300D and had to finish up shooting the show with that camera. This was a bit of a pain, since the AF in the 300D had failed, so I had to shoot it manual focus. Still I did get one of my all time favorite photos with it. Needless to say the card was the problem, and I returned it, but it did force me to use the "backup".

So yes I would really want to have a backup or reserve camera if at all possible, especially for situations where you might get the chance to take unrepeatable photographs.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,534 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Mar 13, 2017 10:38 |  #10

Well, offhand, I'd say "Hey, that's the reason for having a backup!!!" :)

In practice, though, I've not been in the habit of bringing a backup DSLR body to an active shoot, it would just be a bit too much to manage...

However, on occasions when something has gone bad in action, well, sure, that would be a challenge. I have, though, made use of the backup gear that I've had but that is kept at my home location, so, I just haven't been in the habit of packing it with me. Oh Well! I can always bring along a compact/ pocket camera with me if needed, I also have had the habit of packing spare batteries and memory cards, believe me, those are things that if you don't have spares, you will regret it!!!

Having spare lenses is something I would tend to "pack " (as in in an actual pack!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

Luckless
Goldmember
2,985 posts
Joined Mar 2012
PEI, Canada
Mar 13, 2017 13:13 |  #11

"No", but "Kind of".

I don't hold with the idea of having a 'backup' camera, but rather I actively shoot with duplicate bodies on a regular basis. I have a pair of 7Ds that are kept with the same general settings, and if I'm out somewhere shooting (and it is something important that I'm going to care about getting shots for, rather than say, a casual walk with a single lens) then they will both be readily on hand with different lenses, often on a dual camera harness if suitable.

So far the only problems I've had with either camera have been things like a battery running flat on me. (I haven't been actively using my digital gear as much lately for example, and was completely surprised when I pulled one out of the bag the other day and it didn't power on. - Second body to the rescue after only a moment's confusion.) Have also had issues with cards from time to time, once a random fault that was later cleared by popping and reseating the card, and other times being surprised by filling up a card while at a tournament.

Some of my friends have relied on keeping their old camera that had been their primary around as a 'backup', but then it is left in the gear bag, forgotten, and they've rushed to pull it out after something went wrong with their newer one only to find that the battery was long since dead, or that the images they made were terrible because of how out of practice with the older gear they were.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Lucklessexternal link

JohnnyLa
Mostly Lurking
Joined Feb 2017
Mar 13, 2017 20:30 |  #12

I'm currently going through this situation right now where I'm finally getting more paid jobs, and I'm always concerned that something might happen to my Canon 6D while on location. I've been browsing around Craigslist looking for a cheap alternative, and I'm thinking of picking up a Canon 60D. While it is not full frame, I think the thought of at least having SOMETHING in the case my camera fails is better than none.

Johnny La
Mr. La Photography
www.mrlaphotography.co​m (external link)

bpalermini
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2011
Ashland, Oregon
Mar 13, 2017 22:46 |  #13

For paid jobs or when I get to go to unique things I usually take two cameras but have never had one fail.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 1DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 300 IS 2.8L, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

nickgillespie
91 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Mar 13, 2017 22:53 |  #14

Yes. Everyone that I know that shoots professionally has had to use their backup at some point. If you're shooting for money and only taking one body with you, you are playing with fire. The only time that I feel like I have to have both on me (instead of in the bag, in the corner) is during the ceremony, first dance, etc. but it's always close by, just in case.

Crazy stuff happens too, like this past summer I had the camera in my hand run out of card space (crazy long ceremony and I wasn't paying attention) right in the middle of the recession. It wasn't a big deal... just dropped that one and picked up the other without missing a beat.

It WILL happen at some point. Get a second body if you're getting paid.

Wedding Photographer in Charlotteexternal link

Tessa
Playing with fire
Joined Sep 2008
Estonia
Mar 14, 2017 04:50 |  #15

Yep. In the middle of the shoot - bam! - the mirror assembly went belly up. It would have been a mess if I didn't have a second camera.

And, shooting racing, I always use two cameras, since I don't have time to change lenses when the action is happening. That's why I have two of the same camera - I know where the buttons are without looking at which one I'm using.

Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

975 views & 22 likes for this thread
Have You Ever Needed Your Backup?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.