Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 12 Mar 2017 (Sunday) 19:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Have You Ever Needed Your Backup?

nordlysBW
299 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Mar 14, 2017 11:59 |  #16

With airlines getting meaner and meaner about carry-on weight allowances I've given up on backup bodies. I'd rather pack an extra lens to use my allowance to the max and if my one body goes bust, hard luck!

Second reason I do without a backup is that hiking requires compromises about the weight you can haul around.

sponsored links
Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,305 posts
Joined Apr 2003
British Columbia
Mar 14, 2017 12:33 as a reply to nordlysBW's post |  #17
banned

My main camera is the Sony A7R and I always bring along the A6000 as a backup or a camera to use when out not strictly looking for photos. The weight / size of the A6000 is minuscule yet the images it can produce stand on their own.

I'd never think of traveling with the spare A6000.

K ­ Soze
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Post has been edited 3 months ago by K Soze.
Mar 14, 2017 12:36 |  #18

nordlysBW wrote in post #18300776 (external link)
With airlines getting meaner and meaner about carry-on weight allowances I've given up on backup bodies. I'd rather pack an extra lens to use my allowance to the max and if my one body goes bust, hard luck!

Second reason I do without a backup is that hiking requires compromises about the weight you can haul around.

I don't take commuter flights so no one has ever checked my carry one weight. Even so, for a trip I would want a second body for a few reasons.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Mar 14, 2017 12:57 |  #19

Hogloff wrote in post #18300813 (external link)
. . . . I always bring along the A6000 as a backup or a camera to use when out not strictly looking for photos.

I'd never think of traveling with the spare A6000.

These statements appear to contradict one another.

Tell us about your avatar here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=62390
Wildlife Photographed in the Wild: http://www.tomreichner​.com/Wildlife (external link)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/9036119@N02/ (external link)
Please feel free to send me a PM, or to email me at tomreichner@yahoo.com

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,305 posts
Joined Apr 2003
British Columbia
Mar 14, 2017 15:34 |  #20
banned

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18300837 (external link)

These statements appear to contradict one another.

Yes, iPhone typing mistake. Should be without an A6000

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
46,967 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Mar 14, 2017 16:40 |  #21

A few times indeed. Dead shutter, camera dropped into the pacific, camera locked up,.

I will be in Africa this summer,. I shoot with two bodies all the time. I am likely to pack a 3rd just in case. I'd hate to be stuck with only one!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

nordlysBW
299 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Post has been edited 3 months ago by nordlysBW.
Mar 16, 2017 11:04 |  #22

K Soze wrote in post #18300817 (external link)
I don't take commuter flights so no one has ever checked my carry one weight. Even so, for a trip I would want a second body for a few reasons.

Travel in, to or from Europe and you will see that even reputable companies, and not only the low-cost bunch, can be very mean about carry-ons. And that applies to weight as much as size.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
34,872 posts
Gallery: 96 photos
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Mar 16, 2017 17:56 |  #23

yes I was shooting for NATO when they were here in Chicago in 2012 and had a complete shutter failure on one of my 5DIIs. I would never shoot anything without backup.

ejenner
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2011
Denver, CO
Post has been edited 3 months ago by ejenner.
Mar 18, 2017 23:52 |  #24

Yup. 3 times. Twice on vacation - one stopped working soon after getting a bit wet after I got soaked by a geyser (although it is not clear this was the cause) and on another vacation I had intermittent problems. One never turned on when I got to a shoot for a friend. That's why I've kept the 5DII.

https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

sponsored links

1,772 views & 22 likes for this thread
Have You Ever Needed Your Backup?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.