Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 13 Mar 2017 (Monday) 15:14
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

good all purpose soft box

Prime ­ Visual ­ Productions
24 posts
Joined Aug 2016
Mar 13, 2017 15:14 |  #1

I have a Paul C Bluff Einsein 630. What is a good all purpose soft box to purchase fot his flash? Im interested in possibly doing studio work/ fashion/ boudour/ ect...

Please let me know a good well recommend soft box that can be used in a multitude of situations. What would be the average size softbox that can handle most situations and what would be a good brand to purchase that can be used with a diffuser and other accestiories? also one that can be attached to the Paul Buff Einstein?

sponsored links
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
17,945 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Mar 13, 2017 16:30 |  #2

AB foldable softboxes are good. Another nice brand is Photoflex. There are cheaper options but I am quite happy with AB and Photoflex. A 3x4 would be nice one to have, I only have 2x3.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

THREAD ­ STARTER
24 posts
Joined Aug 2016
Mar 13, 2017 16:57 as a reply to bobbyz's post |  #3

AB? is this alien bee soft box?

RicoTudor
390 posts
Joined Jul 2014
Chicago, IL
Mar 13, 2017 19:48 |  #4

3'x4' is a good first choice, and the only size I own. 4x6 is pretty large, although suitable for full body, while 2x2 is perfect for headshots on the go. In a dedicated studio like mine, SB advantages of breakdown and mobility are immaterial, so I use panels.

Canon, Nikon, Contax, Leica, Sony, Profoto.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
17,945 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Mar 13, 2017 21:51 |  #5

Prime Visual Productions wrote in post #18300052 (external link)
AB? is this alien bee soft box?

yes.

https://www.paulcbuff.​com/softboxes.php (external link)

THREAD ­ STARTER
24 posts
Joined Aug 2016
Post has been last edited 9 days ago by Prime Visual Productions. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 13, 2017 22:18 as a reply to RicoTudor's post |  #6

If I plan to do some full body shots as well, would it be best to go with the 4x6 and just cut back some of the light if needing less of it, or do you believe a 3x4 would be sufficient to start with as I would still need to buy the thing for using the Profoto softbox with my Einstein as well as the sync controller for my camera to controll the einstein.

Also, if you know and don't mind sharing, what would be needed to connect the profoto softbox to my einstein light?
would this be all that is needed to connect the light with the softbox? https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...051678762%2C&A=deta​ils&Q= (external link)

THREAD ­ STARTER
24 posts
Joined Aug 2016
Mar 13, 2017 22:26 as a reply to bobbyz's post |  #7

would you recommend Profot modifiers over Paul Buff

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
17,945 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Mar 13, 2017 22:51 |  #8

Prime Visual Productions wrote in post #18300321 (external link)
would you recommend Profot modifiers over Paul Buff

Hell yes. Are you shooting indoors in studio or outdoors? If indoors how big the space. If considering profoto I assume budget is not an issue then forget photoflex and look at Chimera also. Another nice softbox are from larson particularly 4x6 size or bigger.

THREAD ­ STARTER
24 posts
Joined Aug 2016
Mar 13, 2017 23:17 as a reply to bobbyz's post |  #9

budget is definitely an issue, but I like to buy things once as opposed to constantly upgrading. Is the difference in profoto softboxes that big of a difference over its cheaper competitors that warrants the higher price tags? Shooting would be all over. *possibly* outside, but also indoors. rooms, basements, hotels. some small some larger spaces. should I just go for the 3x4 foot soft box? that $524 price tag seems a bit expensive for just a softbox for the 4x6' one. ouch!

RicoTudor
390 posts
Joined Jul 2014
Chicago, IL
Post has been edited 9 days ago by RicoTudor.
Mar 14, 2017 00:21 |  #10

Prime Visual Productions wrote in post #18300317 (external link)
If I plan to do some full body shots as well, would it be best to go with the 4x6 and just cut back some of the light if needing less of it, or do you believe a 3x4 would be sufficient to start with as I would still need to buy the thing for using the Profoto softbox with my Einstein as well as the sync controller for my camera to controll the einstein.

Also, if you know and don't mind sharing, what would be needed to connect the profoto softbox to my einstein light?
would this be all that is needed to connect the light with the softbox?

The linked item (speed ring) looks correct, and you can make 3'x4' work full body with some flagging. I generally follow the buy-it-right-buy-it-once school of thought, and have owned the Chimera Medium SB and quick-release speed ring for the last decade. If you buy a SB for keeps, or intend to drive it hard, then the build quality and refurbishment options are a reason to pay the premium. But taking the cheap and disposable route is also valid. :) The Balcar mount used by Buff lights is feeble and I question the investment of a large and expensive SB from Profoto or Chimera. I originally chose Profoto lights because of the mount but, of course, pay dearly for the privilege. No free lunch, as they say.

THREAD ­ STARTER
24 posts
Joined Aug 2016
Mar 14, 2017 00:44 |  #11

after a search of chimera vs profoto softboxes, it seems that most would rather a chimera. they also seem to be cheaper than profoto. for a 3'x4' softbox, which of these would be the best option, and why? I don't know much about the modifiers.

Profoto RFi 3.0 x 4.0' Softbox
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...4704_3x4_rfi_softbo​x.html (external link)

Chimera Super Pro X Plus Lightbank (Medium 36 x 48", White Interior)
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...130_super_pro_x_plu​s.html (external link)

Chimera Pro II Softbox for Flash Only - Medium - 36x48" (90x120cm)
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...0_Pro_II_Softbox_fo​r.html (external link)

Chimera Super Pro X Plus Lightbank (Medium 36 x 48", Silver Interior)
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...030_super_pro_x_plu​s.html (external link)

Chimera Shallow Super Pro Plus Softbox, Silver - Medium
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...allow_Super_Pro_Plu​s.html (external link)

RicoTudor
390 posts
Joined Jul 2014
Chicago, IL
Mar 14, 2017 00:54 as a reply to Prime Visual Productions's post |  #12

In general, silver interior gives greater efficiency but less even distribution at the face. Similarly for shallow versions, but those are more compact if shooting space is cramped. I would skip the II version and stay with the Pro line which allows the front diffuser to be removed and also has the deeper lip. The lip confines stray light and allows accessories to be mounted (e.g. grids).

THREAD ­ STARTER
24 posts
Joined Aug 2016
Mar 14, 2017 01:09 |  #13

RicoTudor wrote in post #18300415 (external link)
In general, silver interior gives greater efficiency but less even distribution at the face. Similarly for shallow versions, but those are more compact if shooting space is cramped. I would skip the II version and stay with the Pro line which allows the front diffuser to be removed and also has the deeper lip. The lip confines stray light and allows accessories to be mounted (e.g. grids).

thanks. so I should probably go with the Chimera Super Pro X Plus Lightbank (Medium 36 x 48", White Interior)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
17,945 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Post has been edited 8 days ago by bobbyz.
Mar 14, 2017 08:56 |  #14

Just remember that putting rods in the softbox is painful, particularly with octa boxes. That is why foldable designs are so nice if you shoot outdoors. See if you can get calumet quickring. I just piked one up from Amazon for like $20. Yo do need to have correct insert for it. Inside studio it matters less. Main issue with softboxes is the yellowing of the white diffusion material. And consistency of WB. For lot of stuff it doesn't matter. Nobody can look at a shot and say it was with profoto vs alien bees.

BTW I never had any issues with AB mount. My biggest is 5' photoflex octa, no issues. Folks don't get all the fingers in the mount and then lift and complain the modifier fell. At work we got Elinchrom and now I use strobes with Bowens.

THREAD ­ STARTER
24 posts
Joined Aug 2016
Mar 14, 2017 13:59 |  #15

bobbyz wrote in post #18300635 (external link)
Just remember that putting rods in the softbox is painful, particularly with octa boxes. That is why foldable designs are so nice if you shoot outdoors. See if you can get calumet quickring. I just piked one up from Amazon for like $20. Yo do need to have correct insert for it. Inside studio it matters less. Main issue with softboxes is the yellowing of the white diffusion material. And consistency of WB. For lot of stuff it doesn't matter. Nobody can look at a shot and say it was with profoto vs alien bees.

BTW I never had any issues with AB mount. My biggest is 5' photoflex octa, no issues. Folks don't get all the fingers in the mount and then lift and complain the modifier fell. At work we got Elinchrom and now I use strobes with Bowens.

I wont be getting any octoboxes. is it really that hard to put the rods in the 3x4 chimera box? I seen someone setup the profoto box and it didn't seem to be too hard. if it's the same, I'm sure it won't be much of an issue.

sponsored links

978 views & 2 likes for this thread
good all purpose soft box
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.