Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 13 Mar 2017 (Monday) 18:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

5D classic, why should I not get one?

ct1co2
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2009
Mar 13, 2017 18:04 |  #1

Been having an itch to try full frame for some time for family/vacation/landsc​ape type stuff. Been reading a lot on the 5D classic and could pick one up (with the mirror fix) for a decent price. Kind of woo'd by the "look" of the images and not overly concerned with high ISO output for my intended needs. I generally print 10x12 max. My current lens lineup is in my sig. I know on the wide end I'd have to add something like an 85 to the mix and could either mod my 10-22 or get an EF mount wide angle of some type for wide landscape when needed.

Not looking at replacing my 70D as it's my go to for wildlife at this point and not looking to lay out significant cash. Any reason not to do it?

5D | 70D | 10-22 | 15-85is | 35is | 50stm | 85 1.8 | 70-300L | Σ150-600 C | 430ex | S100 |

sponsored links
elitejp
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Mar 13, 2017 18:27 |  #2

I wouldnt be surprised if the 70d didnt have better files than the 5dc. If youre going to spend money either save up and get a more current ff or continue to buy high quality lenses as that will also make a really big difference in quality.

But really the first thing i thought of when you asked youre question was why not buy a used fuji mirrorless instead

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,462 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Mar 13, 2017 19:08 |  #3

because it's old, and no longer serviced by canon, so when it breaks you're out money...also you don't have a ton of FF compatible lenses

that being said...i use a 70D as my main camera...but i picked up a 5Dc a couple years ago now...and it's great for portraits...when i'm looking for shallow DOF, i'll grab it...the images are always super pleasing to me, and i do still feel like if you are able to keep the ISO low, the files are as good as the 70D if not better...i still use the 70D for sports/wildlife, and landscapes...the 5D has pretty much become my portrait camera

they're pretty much dirt cheap right now, and you could probably get one for $350 or so...i do have to ask what your uses would be though, but i'd do it again if i were in your shoes.

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

ct1co2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2009
Post has been edited 3 months ago by ct1co2.
Mar 13, 2017 19:35 as a reply to DreDaze's post |  #4

My use would be exclusively portraits of my now 7yr old and landscapes. I recently added the 35 and really like it. The 50-135 (listed for sale) is an awesome lens but looking to go a bit lighter and faster.

I'm primarily a center focus point shooter and getting more and more into full manual vs AV mode. Have thought about a 6D or even waiting for the 6D2 whenever it comes out while slowly converting over to all EF glass.

5D | 70D | 10-22 | 15-85is | 35is | 50stm | 85 1.8 | 70-300L | Σ150-600 C | 430ex | S100 |

DreDaze
17,462 posts
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Mar 13, 2017 19:52 |  #5

for portraits of your 7-year old, i'd say go for it...for landscapes, i just don't see the use for it...but maybe that's just me...most of my landscapes are shot using live-view, so i'm used to that on the 70D...i also use the wi-fi occasionally for my landscapes...plus i tend to shoot UW for them, which would mean mounting my 1.4X on my 10-20mm to attach it to the 5D...there are times i've brought both cameras out to shoot landscapes, but i always resort back to the 70D

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

jcothron
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
Gainesville, GA
Mar 13, 2017 19:57 |  #6

Its not the best available these days for landscapes but it isnt a bad choice either. I used one for years and printed 20x30 just fine. Lens choice matters for sure, and exposing to the right is important as well. You can get good files for sure though.

Portrait use I would have to defer to the other guys here.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|500px (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Mar 13, 2017 20:28 |  #7

5D classics are so inexpensive now that there isn't really any downside to getting one.
You can buy one, use it for a year, and then sell it for what you paid for it, because it has already suffered about all of the depreciation that it will ever suffer. So you can look at it like you are renting a camera for free. And that is the worst that can happen!

The best that can happen is that you love the files and that it lasts for years and years and you get a huge amount of productivity and enjoyment for just a couplefew hundred bucks.

Tell us about your avatar here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=62390
Wildlife Photographed in the Wild: http://www.tomreichner​.com/Wildlife (external link)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/9036119@N02/ (external link)
Please feel free to send me a PM, or to email me at tomreichner@yahoo.com

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
5,275 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Mar 13, 2017 21:10 |  #8

The 5D classic is the only body I really regret selling. If I had it to do over again, I'd have just kept using until something broke, then given it a nice retirement on the mantle.

Tom

elitejp
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Mar 13, 2017 21:25 |  #9

^Then buy another 5dc
Im not trying to agitate but i see people recommending this camera and truly wonder how much use is it really going to see.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

jcothron
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
Gainesville, GA
Post has been edited 3 months ago by jcothron.
Mar 13, 2017 21:56 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #10

I put mine on the mantle!

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|500px (external link)

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
38,358 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Mar 13, 2017 22:28 |  #11

DreDaze wrote in post #18300180 (external link)
because it's old, and no longer serviced by canon, so when it breaks you're out money...

FWIW, there are independent shops that still work on 5Dc. Mine suddenly died in 2016, and I found a shop that would work on it. Apparently the main circuit had died in mine, and they replaced the circuit...works like new.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

nickgillespie
91 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Mar 13, 2017 22:42 |  #12

the 5dc is still my vacation camera. I slap the 50 1.8 on it and take it anywhere - in the ocean, on boats, ... etc. It's great quality still and cheap enough that if i dump it in the pool I'm not going to cry myself to sleep.

Wedding Photographer in Charlotteexternal link

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Mar 13, 2017 23:04 |  #13

Your crop zooms won't work on the 5D. You should factor that into your decision.

Sam
6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
38,358 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Wilt.
Mar 13, 2017 23:24 |  #14

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18300353 (external link)
Your crop zooms won't work on the 5D. You should factor that into your decision.

OTOH, only 10-22 and 15-85is are for crop sensor and with EFS mount, and his other 4 lenses all will work just fine on a 5D...only if he wants wider than 35mm does he need to buy something... 35 to 600mm are covered.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

DreDaze
17,462 posts
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Mar 13, 2017 23:28 |  #15

Wilt wrote in post #18300367 (external link)
OTOH, only 10-22 and 15-85is are for crop sensor and with EFS mount, and his other 4 lenses all will work just fine on a 5D...only if he wants wider than 35mm does he need to buy something... 35 to 600mm are covered.

the 50-135mm is a crop sensor lens as well...although it appears he's listed that for sale

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,562 views & 15 likes for this thread
5D classic, why should I not get one?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.