Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 14 Mar 2017 (Tuesday) 08:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Do you care about shutter sound?

travisvwright
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2013
NC
Mar 14, 2017 08:17 |  #1

I'm having trouble falling in love with my 6D because the shutter sounds so soft. Honestly my t3i had the best sound, but I like my 70D also. With the 6D I keep checking to make sure I don't have it in silent shutter mode.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, T3i, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Mar 14, 2017 08:22 |  #2

Really pretty meaningless in most situations, but before I read your post I was already thinking about how much better my 6D sounds than my Rebel.

:lol:

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

tonylong
...winded
54,534 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Post has been edited 10 days ago by tonylong.
Mar 14, 2017 08:36 |  #3

I was once taking shots of a nice big Great Blue Heron that was lounging around a nearby pond, and in fact the shutter sound did get the notice of the critter and it skittered off, sad to say...

You do occasionally notice the sounds when watching an "event" involving press photogs, Oh Well...I can't let it bother me much except to avoid scaring off "subjects" like that heron!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

travisvwright
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2013
NC
Mar 14, 2017 09:02 |  #4

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18300608 (external link)
Really pretty meaningless in most situations, but before I read your post I was already thinking about how much better my 6D sounds than my Rebel.

:lol:

I'm always worried about too slow of a shutter causing blur, and the sharp clack of the t3i sounds faster than the soft lackadaisical 6D sound. Like hearing the 6D I can't believe it actually happened in 1/1000th of a second.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, T3i, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
1,675 posts
Joined Nov 2009
It's Grim Up North
Mar 14, 2017 09:45 |  #5

Stand at the side of a motor-racing circuit when 30 high powered motorcycles roar past you at full throttle and then tell me that the sound of your camera shutter matters.

Right now I'm the oldest I've ever been

gjl711
"on par with David Cassidy"
51,539 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Mar 14, 2017 10:07 |  #6

I'm one who wishes that it was completely silent like a P/S. The shutter sound has ruined more shots than it makes. From taking the time to sneak up on wildlife and have them scatter at the first shutter press, to that annoying click-click-click at a wedding or a family event. A sound guaranteed to ruin a any stealthy candid shot.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited 10 days ago by Left Handed Brisket.
Mar 14, 2017 12:27 |  #7

john crossley wrote in post #18300679 (external link)
Stand at the side of a motor-racing circuit when 30 high powered motorcycles roar past you at full throttle and then tell me that the sound of your camera shutter matters.

Stand at the back of a one man piano concert in a small room filled with 30 people and then tell me that the sound of your camera shutter doesn't matter.

:D

6D silent shutter is really pretty amazing in such situations. I can tell you that even the quiet regular shutter of the 6D would have been too awkward to use without getting dirty looks from the patrons.

and travis, i think you are just saying it is your perception, but the only difference is the sound and the slight shutter lag increase before opening the shutter. Remember the silent "shutter" is really silent mirror! That is the sound we are here talking about.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
37,490 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 10 days ago by Wilt.
Mar 14, 2017 12:27 as a reply to john crossley's post |  #8

Don't need much noise to cover a shutter, the average conversational voice more than covers the 40dB shutter noise (measured at 10')
My wife snores louder than my shutter!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Mar 14, 2017 12:36 |  #9

I would love for my shutter to not make any noise at all, nor produce any vibration.

I'm fine with the minor click sound on my mirrorless with no moving parts there.

All my dSLR's are noisy. I always wish they were quieter or dead silent. My 7D is quieter than my other cameras, funny enough.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: Please donate to POTN, support this forum!

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Mar 14, 2017 12:44 |  #10

gjl711 wrote in post #18300694 (external link)
I'm one who wishes that it was completely silent like a P/S. The shutter sound has ruined more shots than it makes.

MalVeauX wrote in post #18300818 (external link)
I would love for my shutter to not make any noise at all, nor produce any vibration.

I'm with you guys on this. Shutter noise sucks. No matter what the sound is like, the fact that there is noise can ruin an opportunity very quickly. And silent shutter mode isn't much help because most of the time I want to shoot bursts, which cannot be done in silent mode. I wish the shutter & mirror just didn't make any noise at all.

Tell us about your avatar here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=62390
Wildlife Photographed in the Wild: http://www.tomreichner​.com/Wildlife (external link)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/9036119@N02/ (external link)
Please feel free to send me a PM, or to email me at tomreichner@yahoo.com

kf095
Cream of the Crop
5,930 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Mar 14, 2017 12:55 |  #11

Well, where are some who are turning shutter sound on mobile phones and taking hundred of pictures while you have to hear it. :twisted:

For me one case with shutter sound to be cared was with 5D and street photography. Not what I care about it, but it was making children near by to be afraid. The only shutter sound I was afraid on the street was from Bessa L. I feel like I have to say - "I'm sorry, it wasn't me", every time it was farting its shutter blades on empty street.
But I have M8 for now. :-D

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

AZGeorge
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Southen Arizona
Mar 14, 2017 13:07 |  #12

For me the quieter the better with one exception. When posing an experienced model with available light the noise helps cue changes in expression and posture.

George
Image Editing Okay

Luckless
Goldmember
2,985 posts
Joined Mar 2012
PEI, Canada
Mar 14, 2017 13:27 |  #13

"It depends"

Loud sporting event? Probably not going to think too much about it. Also not overly worried about it when outdoors in many cases. Much of the wildlife I have photographed will look up and be curious about the shutter I've found more so than they startle and run off in many cases.

Not a fan of it during times when people are trying to actively listen to something.

Ironically I find that the leaf shutters in some of my old film gear are quiet enough to get me in trouble... Press the shutter release, think I hear nothing, then get to stand there and try to remember whether or not I've confirmed the shutter was cocked before I tripped it... I have a few 'interesting' frames thanks to this and being very confident that I had just screwed up. The line between have screwed up, and are about to screw up, can be a rather fine one with leaf shutters apparently.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Lucklessexternal link

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
1,675 posts
Joined Nov 2009
It's Grim Up North
Mar 14, 2017 14:57 |  #14

john crossley wrote in post #18300679 (external link)

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18300803 (external link)
Stand at the back of a one man piano concert in a small room filled with 30 people and then tell me that the sound of your camera shutter doesn't matter.

Aye, well that’s the beauty of photography there is no right or wrong it’s all about personal preference.

Right now I'm the oldest I've ever been

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Mar 14, 2017 15:28 |  #15

I really like the sound of the shutter on my M3, not sure why but it's a more pleasant sound than the clacking sound made by my T6s or the machine gun 7D2. Have definitely spooked a few birds with the 7d2. The M3 is almost a metallic brush sound and doesn't have the typical shutter sound.

-Joe

sponsored links

819 views & 11 likes for this thread
Do you care about shutter sound?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.