Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 16 Mar 2017 (Thursday) 09:41
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

The Great Battery debate

Frodge
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Mar 16, 2017 09:41 |  #1

What is yo be gained by sticking with lp-e6 batteries branded by canon vs wasabi or sterlingtek? I know the canons cost more, but do you feel they are worth the cost if money is not an issue?

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited 7 days ago by MalVeauX.
Mar 16, 2017 09:52 |  #2

Heya,

I would argue that there really isn't a debate about it, most trust Wasabi and other third party brands to power their equipment. Some swear by Canon batteries. But most of it is anecdotal evidence.

I'd rather have 3 Wasabi batteries than 1 Canon battery, any day, any application. The performance is so similar that I don't stress the insignificant difference other than the obvious: price. There's just no time I'm going to be worried about the performance of a single battery with a dSLR application unless its video, and with video, I use an external 11aH battery anyways. For still shooting, there's just no argument. Even if a third party battery was better than Canon's, it wouldn't matter, if its the only battery you have, as two lesser capable batteries are better than a single slightly better one. I'd rather shoot several batteries to low capacity, and recharge them, than deplete a single better battery completely and recharge it. The lesser discharged ones will live longer. But it's probably not worth the fuss, for the time it would take to matter. And this is not to imply that Canon's battery is the better one, it's not in many instances.

There's no magic, so if the capacity (true capacity) and quality of materials are essentially the same or very close, the performance will not be effected by the brand name on the side. Obviously comparing a much lesser capacity battery to a higher capacity battery is not going to prove anything other than the obvious.

I'll take the $15~20 batteries. I have 20+ of them. They're excellent. My Canon branded ones perform no better or worse from my testing of them. So I have a mix of both and can't tell.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: Please donate to POTN, support this forum!

bigVinnie
775 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Roaming the USA
Mar 16, 2017 10:04 |  #3

I've seen people say the 3rd party batteries don't last as long. Not my experience.

But even if they did I can buy 3 wasabi lp-e4's for less than one cannon one. So big whoop.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
Mar 16, 2017 10:23 |  #4

I bought 2 wasabi's. They worked great for about 6-7 months. After a year they really started to crap out. Didnt hold a charge for beans. my 3 yr old Canon OE batteries were still going strong. Buying 2 more canon OE to replace the Wasabi's that crapped out

Hope that helps

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

sjnovakovich
60 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Central PA
Mar 16, 2017 10:51 as a reply to umphotography's post |  #5

This has also been my experience.

Frodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Mar 16, 2017 10:56 |  #6

Hmmm....so there are two totally different camps here, diametrically opposed as they say.

Elton ­ Balch
Joined Dec 2005
Mar 16, 2017 11:08 |  #7

Frodge wrote in post #18302484 (external link)
Hmmm....so there are two totally different camps here, diametrically opposed as they say.

I'm from the "you get what you pay for" camp. That doesn't mean I'm a brand snob but I'd rather be harassing Canon than some third party vendor if there is an unexpected issue (fire, camera damage, etc). Considering the amount of money this equipment costs, I'm not going to quibble over a few extra dollars for an OEM battery or two.

Elton Balch
5D Mark III, 7D Mark II, 24 mm f/1.4 L, 35 mm f/1.4 L, 50 mm f/1.2 L, 85 mm f/1.2 L, 100 mm f/2.8 macro, 135 mm f/2 L, 300 mm f/4 L, 16-35 f/4 L IS, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS ii, 580 EX Flash, Speedlight 600 EX RT, 1.4 extender, extension tubes and other stuff.

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
37,488 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 7 days ago by Wilt. 3 edits done in total.
Mar 16, 2017 11:34 |  #8

umphotography wrote in post #18302456 (external link)
I bought 2 wasabi's. They worked great for about 6-7 months. After a year they really started to crap out. Didnt hold a charge for beans. my 3 yr old Canon OE batteries were still going strong. Buying 2 more canon OE to replace the Wasabi's that crapped out

Sterlingtek has been around for a very long time, and has long been used by photographers as a reliable alternative to the Canon BP-511.
Meanwhile Wasabi is a more recent name on the market (since 2008).

According to Wasabi web site, "Wasabi Power products include a 3-year warranty from Blue Nook in which we guarantee each product to be free of manufacturing defects."
Y'oughtta be able to get Wasabi to replace them, Mike, if within the 3 year window since purchase. That is a much better warranty than what Sterlingtek offers (1 year, 110% money back).

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Mar 16, 2017 11:58 |  #9

I have one canon and one wasabi. Had them for 2-3 years. They rotate back and forth to get even usage. Unless I look at the branding on the battery I would never know which one I was using.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,379 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Central New Jersey
Mar 16, 2017 12:48 |  #10

One possible issue not yet discussed is communication. Do the newer Canon bodies communicate better with Canon branded batteries? I know from my own experience that the Watson batteries supplied by B&H don't communicate correctly with my 7D2. The percentage of remaining power​ jumps up and down inconsistantly every time I check, and taking the batteries out and reinstalling then also changes the available power reported by the camera. This happens with 3 different Watson batteries, one that was included with the camera as a bonus and two others I bought seperately. OEM LP-E6N batteries don't exhibit the same behavior on my camera.

Mark
Canon 7D II, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, and 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM. Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, Lightroom 6, Elements 15

Tapeman
Sliced Bread
3,655 posts
Joined Jan 2004
Twin Cities
Mar 16, 2017 12:59 |  #11

I have been happy with the performance of my Canon batteries. I know I could save a few bucks with some other brands and they work well in most cases. Wasabi seems to be a good option based on what I have read in forums.

I plan to stay with the Canons as it is a small amount of money compared to what I have already spent on gear.

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5DSR, 5DIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII, 2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2.
Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

gjl711
"on par with David Cassidy"
51,539 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Mar 16, 2017 13:33 |  #12

bigVinnie wrote in post #18302445 (external link)
I've seen people say the 3rd party batteries don't last as long. Not my experience.

But even if they did I can buy 3 wasabi lp-e4's for less than one cannon one. So big whoop.

Trouble with third part is that there are some quality ones like Sterlingtek which seems to be every bit as good as OEM and then there are those from Billyjo-Bob's house of cheap batteries (HoCB for short). THose are the ones we see on the news where someones pants catch fire. I have no experience with Wasabi so I can't comment on them but I have several Sterlingtek batteries and have not noticed any difference between them and OEM.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

lowrider
724 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Tucson
Mar 16, 2017 13:46 |  #13

^^^^Not really. The fire issue is with lithium ion batteries. And yes, the Canon batteries are LI-ion, but I have never heard of one bursting into flames. I don't believe Samsung bought Billy-Bob's batteries for the Galaxy Note 7. The e-cigarette and hoverboard fires - Yep, maybe battery supplier, maybe just crappy design. I haven't seen any investigative results.

Lou

Frodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Mar 16, 2017 14:03 |  #14

It looks as though we are starting to lean toward oem at this point, just by the temperature of the thread. I think k the Watson batteries are terrible. I've had one totally fail with little use. I have one OEM l-ep6 with two green bars after less than 6000 shots, I have one wasabi l-ep6 with little use. Id like one more l-ep6, but would of course rather spend 20 than 60. This thread has me up in the proverbial air. My wasabi has hardly been used, so I can't really critique it too well.

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,379 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Central New Jersey
Post has been last edited 7 days ago by mwsilver. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 16, 2017 14:36 |  #15

Frodge wrote in post #18302606 (external link)
It looks as though we are starting to lean toward oem at this point, just by the temperature of the thread. I think k the Watson batteries are terrible. I've had one totally fail with little use. I have one OEM l-ep6 with two green bars after less than 6000 shots, I have one wasabi l-ep6 with little use. Id like one more l-ep6, but would of course rather spend 20 than 60. This thread has me up in the proverbial air. My wasabi has hardly been used, so I can't really critique it too well.

Having read many dozens of threads on this topic here and elsewhere over the last few years, the one 3rd party battery that seems to consistently get high ratings from users are the Wasabis. While I've never used one, at the price it may be a reasonable alternative if it communicates well with the camera.

Mark
Canon 7D II, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, and 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM. Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, Lightroom 6, Elements 15

sponsored links

1,745 views & 9 likes for this thread
The Great Battery debate
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.