Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 16 Mar 2017 (Thursday) 15:44
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Long Exposure Question..I am lost!!

RhodyPhotos
Joined Jun 2014
providence, ri
Mar 20, 2017 10:39 as a reply to post 18305904 |  #31

Thank you so much for all the details, the whens and the whys. It makes a lot more sense now.

I have never tried stacking. Is that something that can be done in DPP? Thats the only software I have for processing my raw images.

Thanks

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Mar 20, 2017 10:43 |  #32

smallick wrote in post #18305937 (external link)
I have never tried stacking. Is that something that can be done in DPP? Thats the only software I have for processing my raw images.

Thanks

Cannot be done in DPP. I use CS5 (old photoshop). I load the individual images (subs) as a stack, and use the stack -> median function to average them producing the same look as a blur equal to the sum of all the exposures. I used to do 8 minute exposures with a single exposure, and it was not good, the noise was unreal, the vignetting was bad, stacked too many filters to get there, etc. Found median stacking was a way better way to do extreme exposure values with much cleaner data. Especially with an old noisy sensor like mine.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Mar 20, 2017 19:05 |  #33

smallick wrote in post #18305881 (external link)
I do play around with the aperture between f/8 and f/16. When I'm shooting sunsets or sunrises I don't have time to expect autofocus to work. So, I dial in everything that can be left constant well before I need to start shooting. All I need to worry about will be exposure time. I might start with 4 secs just before sunset and end with 90 secs a few minutes after sunset (or vice versa in case of a sunrise) but that is easily adjustable based on the histogram.

Next time I'm out shooting in broad daylight I'll let the camera autofocus with the filter on and see if it can handle that.

Thanks a lot

I didn't suggest AF with the 10 stop filter, but auto exposure. I would not expect the Phase Detect AF system to work with a 10 stop ND, but you might get results from the Contrast Detect AF when using Liveview. When shooting stationary objects from a tripod I do tend to use LV anyway, since I have the time to use it. There is also the option of MF with 10× mag, which I would expect to be useable even with the ND.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

RhodyPhotos
Joined Jun 2014
providence, ri
Post has been edited 5 months ago by RhodyPhotos.
Mar 21, 2017 05:45 |  #34

BigAl007 wrote in post #18306327 (external link)
I didn't suggest AF with the 10 stop filter, but auto exposure.

Alan

Ok, that makes more sense, sorry I misinterpreted what you said in your earlier response. And yes, I totally agree about using live view and manual focus, but I do that before putting on the filter. As I said, once I get it all in place, I just play with the shutter speed to get the pic. Looking at the histogram usually gives a very good idea about what the SS needs to be.

2,889 views & 13 likes for this thread
Long Exposure Question..I am lost!!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.