Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 16 Mar 2017 (Thursday) 20:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon 80D body for $839???

RodneyCyr
590 posts
Joined Feb 2005
New Mexico, USA
Mar 16, 2017 20:17 |  #1

I found this deal too good to be true, which means it probably is.

http://www.abesofmaine​.com ...etargeting&utm_medi​um=CPC (external link)

The advertisement does not mention a factory warranty, but does mention extended warranties, but provided by DOP, whatever that is. I have seen other advertisements for $855, but they say "no warranty".

Has anyone done business with this company? I know the company has been around a while. I remember thinking about ordering a lens from them over thirty years ago.

Canon 70D, 60D, Canon 10-22EFs, 15-85EFS IS, 70-300L IS, Canon 60mm EFs Macro, Rokinon 8mm fisheye, Rokinon 85/1.4, 550EX flash, Olympus TG2 underwater P&S
Postprocessing: DxO10, DxO Viewpoint 2.5, Paint Shop Pro X7
Speak softly and carry a big zoom.

sponsored links
DJHaze596
Goldmember
1,337 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2012
Florida
Mar 17, 2017 02:37 |  #2

Wouldn't trust that. you have two options below:

$989.99 via Street Price

http://www.canonpricew​atch.com .../Canon-EOS-80D-price.html (external link)

Or $885.00 via International Model

https://www.amazon.com ...sr=1-4&keywords=canon+80D (external link)

Canon 1DX Mark II | Canon 5D Mark IV | Sigma 12-24 ART | 24-105mm f4L
50mm STM | 70-200mm f2.8L II | 100-400mmL II | 400mm f2.8L IS USM
Previously Owned: 7D Mark II | 80D | 1D Mark IV | 17-40L | 200mm f2.8L II USM

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
37,488 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 6 days ago by Wilt. 3 edits done in total.
Mar 17, 2017 13:51 |  #3

Gray market goods...Canon USA could refuse to service it under warranty.
Nikon even refuses to fix gray market stuff, even if you wanted to pay them!

https://www.usa.canon.​com ...oducts/groups/gray-market (external link)

For opinions of Abe's of Maine, try these comments http://www.resellerrat​ings.com/store/Abe_of_​Maine (external link)

International model? (from the above)...

"Jeff: Just wanted to confirm you want the International model?
Me: Why would I order the international model, and have it shipped to Los Angeles?
Jeff: The website clearly states it is a 240V, and I wanted to confirm that is what you wanted before I charge your card.
(At least *courteous* enough not to charge it right away)
Me: I do not recall seeing the 240V (to myself, why would I even be vigilant for 240V on a US website...at least warn me that it is an international model...ffs)
Jeff: Well this is the international model, I can give you the the US model for $500 more.

"

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

Bassat
"I must be the worst photographer on the planet"
4,654 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Mar 17, 2017 15:02 |  #4

I got mine straight from Canon for $899. It included a 12-month warranty. The next day it went down to $849. $839 and no warranty does not sound like a deal.

Tom

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Post has been last edited 5 days ago by TreeburnerCT. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 18, 2017 11:07 |  #5

Abes of Maine is a bait-and-switch retailer - if you search Google for "abes of Maine complaint" you will find thousands of people with the same experience I'm about to share.

When I was shopping around for my Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary lens I found it at Abes of Maine for about $200 less than anywhere else. I knew it had no warranty, but I was willing to trade the warranty for the savings so I placed my order with them online.

Two days later I still hadn't received any email detailing the shipment so I called Abes of Maine and was forced to speak with one of their [expletives removed] scamming salespeople. He explained that the model I ordered was the international version and suggested I buy the US model, still with no warranty, for $200 more as it would also include the tripod foot, front and rear lens caps and protective case. I pointed out that the specs page listed these items as coming with the international version, but he claimed that was a typo and that if I wanted any accessories I should buy the US version. I told him I understand his job is to up sell but that I wanted the version I ordered and that if it didn't come with the items listed I would stop payment through my credit card company.

So he finally put my order through after about 10 minutes of this, but not before trying to sell me "top of the line" filters for only $150 more (the same junk filters found on Amazon for under $10) and an aftermarket warranty through some company I never heard of who had equally horrid reviews online.

I felt like I needed to take a shower after buying from Abes of Maine, but I did end up with a grey market lens for a good price. However, I vowed to never again contribute to their shady business practices, and try to warn others not to fall for their scams. There's TONS of other reviews of their business claiming the exact same thing. Apparently many years ago when they were actually located in Maine they were a legitimate company, but now they simply rely on their previously established reputation and bait-and-switch tactics to scam unsuspecting buyers. The State of Maine didn't pull their business license for no reason. I would strongly encourage you to shop elsewhere.

-Joe

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,266 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Mar 18, 2017 11:30 |  #6

You can buy refurb from canon directly for 832.32, with the 18-55mm...use code POTATOES
https://shop.usa.canon​.com ...urbished?WT.mc_id=C​126149 (external link)

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Mar 19, 2017 15:53 |  #7

Wilt wrote in post #18303508 (external link)
Gray market goods...Canon USA could refuse to service it under warranty.
Nikon even refuses to fix gray market stuff, even if you wanted to pay them!

https://www.usa.canon.​com ...oducts/groups/gray-market (external link)

For opinions of Abe's of Maine, try these comments http://www.resellerrat​ings.com/store/Abe_of_​Maine (external link)

International model? (from the above)...

"Jeff: Just wanted to confirm you want the International model?
Me: Why would I order the international model, and have it shipped to Los Angeles?
Jeff: The website clearly states it is a 240V, and I wanted to confirm that is what you wanted before I charge your card.
(At least *courteous* enough not to charge it right away)
Me: I do not recall seeing the 240V (to myself, why would I even be vigilant for 240V on a US website...at least warn me that it is an international model...ffs)
Jeff: Well this is the international model, I can give you the the US model for $500 more.

"

I hate the mains voltage scam shown here, since the OEM charger, well just about any charger really, will run on anything from a minimum of 100 up to 240 volts, and at either 50 or 60 Hz. All that happens is that you draw more current where you have lower voltages, to get the same power. So for a 20W device here in the UK at 240V you would only draw 83 mA, while in the USA at 110V you pull 182 mA for the same 20W of power. The ability to work across a wide range of voltage inputs is now pretty much universal on most consumer electronics devices. Usually the only thing that will differentiate consumer electronics across international markets is the language choices in the instructions, and the form the the moulded on plug that is provided on the included mains cable.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

559 views & 1 like for this thread
Canon 80D body for $839???
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.