Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 17 Mar 2017 (Friday) 01:42
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Light stand

Prime ­ Visual ­ Productions
24 posts
Joined Aug 2016
Mar 17, 2017 01:42 |  #1

What is a good light stand? One that is sturdy and won't constantly fall down. One that can be used in many ways as possible. One that is tall enough, but can also be broken down to fit into a suitcase if need be? I have a Paul buff Einstein with a chimera 36"x48x soft box that I will be applying to this light stand but I want the ability to put it into my luggage to travel with. Any ideas, or are cheap light stands not much different from the more expensive ones?

sponsored links
OceanRipple*
704 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Mar 17, 2017 07:09 |  #2

Prime Visual Productions wrote in post #18303071 (external link)
What is a good light stand? One that is sturdy and won't constantly fall down. One that can be used in many ways as possible. One that is tall enough, but can also be broken down to fit into a suitcase if need be? I have a Paul buff Einstein with a chimera 36"x48x soft box that I will be applying to this light stand but I want the ability to put it into my luggage to travel with. Any ideas, or are cheap light stands not much different from the more expensive ones?

Hi, It would help if you narrowed things down a little more . .

Define "tall enough". At some stage you are likely to want a stand that reaches 9 ft+ - is that now?
Is the "suitcase" limitation real? If so, we need an exact stand 'minimum length' to work with - if possible.
And that Einstein & S'box are not going on a boom - or are they?

Prime ­ Visual ­ Productions
THREAD ­ STARTER
24 posts
Joined Aug 2016
Mar 17, 2017 09:21 as a reply to OceanRipple*'s post |  #3

boom is not necessary, but as always I like to purchase once, so if I can get a light stand with boom in case I ever have a use for it, that would be ideal. definitely not a necessity though. I figure about 8-9' should be more than sufficient went put up properly. Suitcase is probably around 40" in height. in it, I will probably put the light stand, the einstein light(in its original box) and the lightbox. its a large enough suitcase tha just about maximum size to check in as luggage.

OceanRipple*
704 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post has been edited 1 month ago by OceanRipple*.
Mar 17, 2017 11:24 |  #4

Prime Visual Productions wrote in post #18303301 (external link)
boom is not necessary, but as always I like to purchase once, so if I can get a light stand with boom in case I ever have a use for it, that would be ideal. definitely not a necessity though. I figure about 8-9' should be more than sufficient went put up properly. Suitcase is probably around 40" in height. in it, I will probably put the light stand, the einstein light(in its original box) and the lightbox. its a large enough suitcase tha just about maximum size to check in as luggage.

The Einstein is 4lb 5oz - so, consider Manfrotto's 1052BAC
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...AC_Alu_Air_Cushione​d.html (external link)
- it's a good basic stand. They stack, if you end up with several. You could boom a Speedlite from it (with suitable extra kit), but IMO, not your light. A sandbag slung from the center column immediately above the apex of the tripod base would add stability. The 3.6 ft footprint D is a minimum - bigger would be better, IMO. Would it fit with your priorities?

SYS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Post has been edited 1 month ago by SYS.
Mar 17, 2017 12:24 |  #5

Or, an economic light stand that converts into a boom stand:

https://www.cheetahsta​nd.com/Cheetah-Boom-p/cboom.htm (external link)

I think there's a Manfrotto version, as well, but probably more expensive.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

SYS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Mar 17, 2017 12:29 |  #6

Any ideas, or are cheap light stands not much different from the more expensive ones?

One thing I learned after having purchased and used both cheap and expensive light stands over the years:

By the time I finally came to my senses to purchase expensive light stands, I paid a lot more than those who were smart enough to purchase expensive ones from the get go. It's what's called beginner's tax or something like that. ;-)a

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
37,933 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Wilt.
Mar 17, 2017 12:47 as a reply to SYS's post |  #7

That Cheetah stand has a nice footprint, at 47" diameter. I've only found one product that has a larger footprint, the Impact.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

texkam
907 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Post has been edited 1 month ago by texkam.
Mar 17, 2017 14:51 |  #8

For a recent out of the country shoot where I wanted to travel light, I got one from Cowboy Studio that is 7ft and folds to 20 inches which fits in my carry on luggage. For weights I just used 6 locally available bottled waters, slipped 2 of them into each ziplock bags and hung over each of the 3 extended legs. I used card stock and some gaffer tape to construct a hood to conceal the bare bulb of my DigiBee, which I bounced off a white ceiling. Worked like a champ. Here's a snap of it way over on the right and a test shot.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Mar 17, 2017 15:05 |  #9

Mathews reverse stand 7'

I'll slap a 7' octadome with Einstien with no hesistation!

5Dmkiii |5Dmkii | 80D | 24LmkII | 24mm STM | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 | 16mm f/1.4 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Mar 17, 2017 17:10 |  #10

Light stands do not break down so you will need the find the largest available to fit in your suitcase.

Any ideas, or are cheap light stands not much different from the more expensive ones? Yes the cheap one fall apart and break.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Blackey ­ Cole
456 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Alamogordo New Mexico
Mar 17, 2017 20:59 |  #11

The best stand for stability would be a c-stand.

Click Here and Join the POTN flickr Group Today!external link

Gear List

texkam
907 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Mar 17, 2017 21:42 |  #12

http://www.cowboystudi​o.com ...p/5%20section%20sta​nd.htm (external link)

This is the model I referenced above. For $32.00 it serves it's purpose well.

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by Alveric. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 17, 2017 23:18 |  #13

Cowboy Studio stands are so light that even a light breeze would probably knock them down. Interesting –and quite telling– that the stand's weight is not included in their specifications. You'll need a couple of sandbags, and even then it'd make me nervous to mount a monolight on them.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorably in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Darum still, füg' ich mich, wie Gott es will. Nun, so will ich wacker streiten, und sollt' ich den Tod erleiden, stirbt ein braver Reitersmann.

EricJrSax
Joined Sep 2013
Baltimore
Mar 17, 2017 23:22 |  #14

I got the Kupo Universal stand. Very sturdy and relatively cheap! Only a few bucks more than the Adorama (Flashpoint) and B&H (Impact) brand names but much better in my opinion.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Yucca Valley, CA
Mar 18, 2017 00:20 |  #15

Cheap stands bend, wobble, break. Hollow stands with riveted on spuds are not what I would recommend for booming a proper light.
The matthews reverse stand would be fine without a boom.

With a boom I'd look at the steel light stands from Mattthews, Kupo, Avenger, etc. Look at the Baby Boom arm from Avenger. That will give you a rock solid boom set-up, but it won't be too mobile. If you're working with a tight space (like I do) you can use a C-stand instead.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

sponsored links

1,526 views & 11 likes for this thread
Light stand
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.