Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk
Thread started 17 Mar 2017 (Friday) 09:18
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Shooting with a broken elbow?

BJWOK
Cream of the Crop
5,352 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2007
Sydney, New South Wales
Mar 17, 2017 09:18 |  #1

Is it going to be possible: https://youtu.be/zDqyy​fsPwQc (external link)

My name is Benon (BJWOK are my initials) :)
www.bjwok.com (external link) <<-- NEW LIGHTROOM 6 PRESETS FOR MUSIC PHOTOGRAPHERS
Benon Koebsch - Photographer (external link) (Facebook)
Gives A Minute (external link) (YouTube channel)

sponsored links
devin07
88 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Ft Frances, ON Canada
Apr 04, 2017 06:49 |  #2

Unfortunately, for me it was my right elbow that I broke. I just got my cast off last week. No problem now getting my hand up to my face, but was impossible with a full arm cast.

BJWOK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,352 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Sydney, New South Wales
Apr 06, 2017 03:28 |  #3

Yep, that's gonna make it A LOT harder!! Sorry to hear man.

How did you bust it?

www.bjwok.com (external link) <<-- NEW LIGHTROOM 6 PRESETS FOR MUSIC PHOTOGRAPHERS

devin07
88 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Ft Frances, ON Canada
Apr 06, 2017 15:31 as a reply to BJWOK's post |  #4

I was crossing a hotel parking lot and just about to go down three steps to the lower parking level when I noticed my hiking boot laces came unhooked. Instead of stopping and retieing, I opted to continue. As I took my next step my foot got tangled and I fell down the three steps. Camera bag went one way and duffle went the other. Luckily camera and lenses survived & I ended up photographing four dancers later that morning in a dance competition. During the drive home (six hours) i realized something was wrong and finally went to Emerg the next morning.
How'd you break yours?

BJWOK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,352 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Sydney, New South Wales
Apr 07, 2017 08:25 as a reply to devin07's post |  #5

Damn!! That sounds painful!! Feel for you man! And how did you continue to go about shooting before going to Emergency! Wow!!!

Here's how I broke mine: https://youtu.be/ulybz​bDemys (external link)

devin07
88 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Ft Frances, ON Canada
Apr 07, 2017 14:37 as a reply to BJWOK's post |  #6

Yep, your fall looked very painful! Surprised, as you also mentioned, that your right elbow wasn't the one broken.
I had more weakness than pain. I could only bring my hand about 8" to my face, but if I gripped my camera I found that I could 'pull' it up to my face to take pictures. Once I got my cast I couldn't even do that. Had to cancel some formal pictures at a hockey tournament and also figure skating photos. The dance studio photos I had arranged were rescheduled for next week. Trying to regain strength and continue on. Good luck with your rehab!

BJWOK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,352 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Sydney, New South Wales
Apr 07, 2017 20:47 |  #7

Thanks man. Yeah I was baffled as to how it wasn't the other elbow on me! ? Really odd way to land. I found the same as you said: couldn't bring my hand up to my face, for about 2 weeks.

I'm almost back to 100% health tho so I'm pretty happy :)

PMGphotog
325 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Apr 10, 2017 14:10 |  #8

Really enjoyed your video blog. Will subscribe to your channel next time I sign into YT.

I've not broken anything recently but tend to always travel light to gigs anyway as my right shoulder is constantly affected by arthritis and trapped nerves etc. ( I mainly just do photos but did a mini tour with a few bands in Italy last year and had to do video as well as stills. )

My son recently bought me a copy of a Black Rapid strap that I can put over my left shoulder and let my camera sit on my right hip ( only £12 UK :) ) and I use that a lot now along with spare lenses in my jacket pocket or camera bag. Works a treat for small and medium sized venues.

Hope your elbow gets better soon mate :)

Canon EOS 1000d /60d : 18-55mm IS kit lens. Canon 50mm 1.8 MK2. Tamron 55-200mm F4-5.6, battery grip to make my cam look pro..and 30mm Sigma F1.4 recently added
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/patmcguire2011/external link

BJWOK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,352 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Sydney, New South Wales
Apr 11, 2017 04:59 |  #9

Thanks a lot man :) Appreciate the support!

Yeah, I've heard those black rapid straps are pretty good - the only thing I dislike about them is that it limits you as to how high above your head you can raise the camera attached to it. For me, I like a high above the head with a wide angle lens shot, so the Black Rapid won't cut it :(

sponsored links

5,695 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting with a broken elbow?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.