Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings Talk
Thread started 18 Mar 2017 (Saturday) 09:40
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Transport Canada clamps down on Drone users & R/C flying too.

cicopo
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
Ottawa, Ont, Canada
Mar 18, 2017 09:40 |  #1

For those of you in Canada thinking about getting a camera drone or coming to Canada for your vacation this year hoping to fly a drone you own Transport Canada just passed new laws that effect anything that flies using a remote control device. There will be further laws introduced this June & I suspect one will force all pilots to be insured. One of the new laws requires all of your contact info to be clearly attached or written on your drone or aircraft.

https://www.tc.gc.ca ...g-use-model-aircraft.html (external link)

http://www.theglobeand​mail.com ...l-drones/article34318007​/ (external link)

And this from the MAAC but note the distance to buildings mentioned is incorrect due to a last minute change by Transport Canada. The distance to any building, car etc is 75 Meters.

March 16, 2017
Burlington, ON

For Immediate Release

Transport Canada Regulations Limit Model Aviation Activities

MAAC Members and Clubs See Exemptions

Transport Canada’s announcement of interim regulations for drone use will impact model aviation enthusiasts across the country that are flying any model aircraft between 250g and 35kg. The regulations place restrictions on how high model aircraft can be flown, and minimum distances from people and buildings when flying that will severely limit how and where people can enjoy the hobby. The announcement states that not only must recreational users put their contact information on drones, but also that they may not fly higher than 90 metres, within 150 metres of buildings, vehicles or people, or within 9 kilometres of the centre of any aerodrome.

However, within the regulations is an exemption for Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) Members flying at MAAC sanction fields and/or events. The exemption granted to MAAC members and sanctioned events is crucial to the continued operation of hundreds of clubs across the country.

The Transport Canada Advisory group of MAAC and the Board of Directors on behalf of The Model Aeronautics Association of Canada acknowledges Transport Canada's safety concerns and is appreciative for the clear recognition of the long history of safe operations by our membership. One of MAAC’s primary goals is keeping our members informed and educated on how to enjoy the hobby while keeping safety in the forefront, and that effort has paid off with this exemption.

One of the results of the regulations will be a surge of people looking to find a home within MAAC and MAAC member clubs. If we want this exemption to continue, it is crucial these new members be made to feel welcome and that they are educated on safe model operations. MAAC encourages members, clubs, and club executives to welcome these new members and/or actively assist them in forming their own interest specific clubs.

The interim regulations also call for active enforcement by local police forces, which may create issues for some members and clubs. MAAC recommends clubs contact their local authorities and ensure they are aware of the club’s existence, MAAC affiliation, and the Transport Canada exemption.

About The Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC):
MAAC is Canada’s internationally and federally recognized model aviation sanctioning body. Additionally, MAAC is a sitting member of Canadian Aviation Regulatory Advisory Council (CARAC), holds corporate membership with Unmanned Systems Canada (USC) and is a voting member of the FAI and the Aero Club of Canada.

For over 65 years the association has provided leadership, safety guidelines, and liability insurance to individual members, clubs, and field owners. MAAC serves over 11,500 members and more than 350 clubs across Canada. MAAC members are active in all disciplines of model aviation from free-flight models through radio controlled turbine powered models, including multi-rotor aircraft RC boating and rocketry.

For more information contact your zone director, the MAAC Office (maac.ca) or
Rodger Williams, President
President@MAAC.ca +1 418 564-5225

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

sponsored links
WaltA
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
White Rock, BC, Canada
Post has been edited 9 months ago by WaltA.
Mar 18, 2017 10:20 |  #2

I saw that in the paper yesterday. The other day I saw a drone over top of the house the next street over from me. There's a POTN member who lives in the next city over who regularly flies his drone down the river and out onto the beach in front of my condo.

My first thought was how the heck are they going to enforce this.

"90 meters away from any building or people"

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

Luckless
Goldmember
3,044 posts
Joined Mar 2012
PEI, Canada
Mar 18, 2017 12:37 |  #3

WaltA wrote in post #18304168 (external link)
I saw that in the paper yesterday. The other day I saw a drone over top of the house the next street over from me. There's a POTN member who lives in the next city over who regularly flies his drone down the river and out onto the beach in front of my condo.

"90 meters away from any building or people"

Has your neighbour pissed you off recently? Are you in Canada? Does he continue to fly his drone outside the parameters of the regulations? Well congrats, you could do you patriotic duty and help enforce these regulations by filing a report...

Basically enforcement is kind of similar to how radio spectrum enforcement is done in Canada: Regulations are in place, active enforcement is based on reports from the public and investigation into them rather than vans full of detecting gear patrolling around looking for violations. Active police involvement will likely continue to be limited to people acting like idiots with their toys by buzzing people in a park or similar, but it is unlikely anyone is going to be kicking in doors because a kid is quietly flying their new quad-copter in the backyard.

The regs are more about offering some more teeth to law enforcement for dealing with problems.

I am very happy to see a requirement on putting contact info on the craft. My 'collection' is up to three found drones, which thankfully have all gone back to their owner after a bit of legwork, but being able to just fire off an email of "Hey, found your stuff, where can I take it?" would be lovely.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Lucklessexternal link

cicopo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
Ottawa, Ont, Canada
Mar 18, 2017 13:42 |  #4

Enforcement will most likely be as a result of complaints but until now we only had guidelines. This is now LAW & will put an emphasis on sellers cautioning buyers that just because the Advertising says you can fly it without knowing how & have no previous experience you will now be breaking the law if you don't use some common sense. I had the pleasure of having someone fly a drone over me & the rest of the crowd at an outdoor concert last summer for roughly 40 minutes in total darkness. I made a formal complaint & as far as I know it wasn't flying on either of the remaining 2 days.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,280 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Mar 18, 2017 15:54 |  #5

cicopo wrote:
The announcement states that not only must recreational users put their contact information on drones, but also that they may not fly higher than 90 metres, within 150 metres of buildings, vehicles or people, or within 9 kilometres of the centre of any aerodrome.

So apart from flying outside the outskirts of Yellowknife, where are folks going to fly their drones?

WaltA wrote:

I saw that the Dutch police have been training hawks and eagles to intercept drones! Certainly Canada should have a good supply of these birds of prey as well.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

WaltA
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
White Rock, BC, Canada
Mar 18, 2017 15:56 |  #6

cicopo wrote in post #18304334 (external link)
Enforcement will most likely be as a result of complaints but until now we only had guidelines. This is now LAW & will put an emphasis on sellers cautioning buyers that just because the Advertising says you can fly it without knowing how & have no previous experience you will now be breaking the law if you don't use some common sense. I had the pleasure of having someone fly a drone over me & the rest of the crowd at an outdoor concert last summer for roughly 40 minutes in total darkness. I made a formal complaint & as far as I know it wasn't flying on either of the remaining 2 days.

I don't see how that can work. In the case where I saw one across the street, it was gone within the next 10 minutes.
We can't get them to enforce parking regulations around here. Not sure how they're going to catch drones.

Even if they (enforcement officers) see one - are they going to track it til it goes back to its home base.

Should be a good gong show.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

98kellrs
Joined Oct 2012
Perth, Australia
Mar 18, 2017 17:25 |  #7

Enforcement is no different to catching someone speeding. There are 1000 cars on a freeway but only 100 are speeding, at best they will catch 1 or 2 and use the potential to be caught as a reason to keep everyone else in line.

If they just said "do whatever speed you want" everyone would speed, it's the threat of a penalty that keeps the honest driver, honest.

Same situation with the drones I would suspect.

Ryan
Nikon D800
Fujifilm X-T1
RSK Photography Facebook - Automotive Photography page (external link)
Website (external link)

archfotos
87 posts
Joined May 2016
Mar 27, 2017 10:49 |  #8

98kellrs wrote in post #18304528 (external link)
If they just said "do whatever speed you want" everyone would speed, it's the threat of a penalty that keeps the honest driver, honest.

This is not true at all. I grew up in Montana when there was no speed limit and then when there was (because the feds pressured the state) it was only a $5 ticket. People drove safely to the conditions the roads and weather allowed. Now here on the East Coast where there are tickets for everything people drive the speed limit wether the road conditions are ridiculously icy or not.

DC Photographer (external link)

sponsored links

1,038 views & 0 likes for this thread
Transport Canada clamps down on Drone users & R/C flying too.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.