Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk
Thread started 18 Mar 2017 (Saturday) 17:23
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Texas Woman in Midst of Modeling Shoot When Struck by Train

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Mar 18, 2017 17:23 |  #1

I know that taking photos on train tracks is a common, albeit hackneyed, idea, but be careful, people!

http://abc13.com ...-struck-by-train/1801753/ (external link)

Sam
6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

sponsored links
RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
12,492 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Post has been edited 7 months ago by RDKirk.
Mar 19, 2017 16:20 |  #2

A lot of people still refuse to accept the fact that it can be darned hard to realize that a train is bearing down on you in time to get away.

Trains outside of city areas are moving at highway speeds--they're moving fast.

Most of the noise of a train is generated by its wheels on the tracks. A bit (fairly small) is generated by the engine. The track noise is directed to the sides, the engine noise is directed to the rear. We are accustomed to hearing a train from the side and think that we'd hear as much noise from the front. Wrong. Very little noise is directed toward the front.

As well, the visual print of an oncoming train is also very small, and the headlight can be hard to see if there is the slightest curve that points the center of the beam away from you.

The bottom line is that all these occurrences should illustrate that realizing a train is coming clearly has a trick to it.

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
1,969 posts
Joined Nov 2009
It's Grim Up North
Mar 20, 2017 06:31 |  #3

Quite frankly it beggars belief that anyone in their right mind would think that it is OK to stand on a live running line to do a photo-shoot. That story is a prime example of why you should not stand on a railway line. Apparently she moved out of the way of a train heading one way along the tracks and got hit by another train going in the opposite direction. The mind boggles at the incredulous stupidity of these people.

And let’s not forget that it is not just her family and friends that are affected by the aftermath of her wanton selfish behaviour, but the train driver will be left traumatised. Then there are the Police and Ambulance crews that have to attend the scene and recover the body. Finally there is the ground-crew that has to clean up the engine and wagons after the incident. For those people reading this that have never had the pleasure of pulling the remnants of a human body from the underside of a train you should try it sometime it might make you think twice before venturing onto a live railway.

Some days I'm the dog, other days I'm the lamppost

jeffryscott
Joined Jan 2012
Tucson, Arizona
Mar 20, 2017 09:09 |  #4

So sad for the people involved, but no talk of the liability the photographer faces. The responsibility/blame lies with that person as well. Are criminal charges possible? Trespassing charges? I've shot on train tracks before, but only because I knew they were deactivated and hadn't been used in years and in the middle of the city.

I feel for all involved, but since this is a photography forum I thought I'd solicit info on what role we play when something like this happens.

A few of my photos here: http://jeffryscott.com (external link) http://jeffryscott.zen​folio.com (external link) or http://tucsonbirder.ph​oto (external link)

photosbytw
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Blue Ridge Mountains
Mar 20, 2017 11:38 |  #5

I would think at the very least reckless endangerment.

Don't even begin to think I'm criticizing your images.
Just a natural curiosity.
tw
www.photosbytw.net (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Post has been edited 7 months ago by nathancarter.
Mar 20, 2017 12:44 |  #6

In the "Midnight Rider" train fatality case, a producer and director were both convicted of involuntary manslaughter and criminal trespassing.

https://en.wikipedia.o​rg/wiki/Midnight_Rider​_(film (external link))

edit: The parenthesis in the URL messes up the link, I don't know how to fix it, but if you click it Wikipedia will show you the correct link.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,608 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 7 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Mar 20, 2017 13:41 |  #7

Sad story.

In this case, as I understand from what I read, the idea and decision to do the shoot were the Models. She was looking to get the shots. But no idea how that effects any of it from a legal standpoint. It is not however the same as your boss telling you top get out on the train tracks..

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Post has been edited 7 months ago by Nogo.
Mar 20, 2017 14:37 |  #8

I would think a civil suite is much more likely than a criminal charge more serious than trespassing. Texas is a contributory negligence state so the court would need to decide what percentage of fault lies with the photographer. Being a professional the proprietor is expected to know what laws apply to their business.

If this was simply a friend taking photos the expectation would be that of a normal person or in my opinion maybe 50/50. But if the photographer is a well paid established business owner it should be assumed he knows he is trespassing and would thus bear a high percentage of the blame.

Either way, the best thing we can take from this is stay off the tracks.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

photosbytw
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Blue Ridge Mountains
Post has been last edited 7 months ago by photosbytw. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 20, 2017 15:21 |  #9

Nogo wrote in post #18306121 (external link)
Being a professional the proprietor is expected to know what laws apply to their business.

I would question whether the individual was professional or just a "I got a camera professional"

tw

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Post has been last edited 7 months ago by Perfectly Frank. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 20, 2017 15:51 |  #10

Very sad story, yet not uncommon...

http://www.up.com ...fie-tragedy-12-7-2016.htm (external link)

http://www.mirror.co.u​k ...n-mum-girl-killed-6669646 (external link)

https://www.yahoo.com ...death-very-060038930.html (external link)

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,608 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Mar 20, 2017 16:30 as a reply to Perfectly Frank's post |  #11

OMG, this is brutal.. :( :( :(

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Snydremark
Myth-informed
17,855 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Issaquah, WA USA
Mar 20, 2017 16:56 |  #12

Tragic but, ultimately, dumb and completely unavoidable. Train tracks and their right of way are private property and not any place that you belong without consent and coordination from the railways.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

photosbytw
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Blue Ridge Mountains
Mar 20, 2017 18:01 |  #13

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18306209 (external link)

I can't think of a better response............:cry::cry::cry:

tw

MatrixBlackRock
24 posts
Joined Aug 2017
La Belle FL USA
Aug 13, 2017 11:56 |  #14

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18306209 (external link)

This belonged to a 14 year old boy who played chicken with a train.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Chicago, Illinois
Aug 16, 2017 16:39 |  #15

When there are double And triple train tracks its easier than you think to not see or hear another train.

sponsored links

3,523 views & 7 likes for this thread
Texas Woman in Midst of Modeling Shoot When Struck by Train
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.