Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk
Thread started 19 Mar 2017 (Sunday) 21:36
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Possible trip to Uganda

NebrGuy
Joined Nov 2010
Nebraska
Mar 19, 2017 21:36 |  #1

I've been asked by an organization to consider traveling with them to Uganda in a few months to photograph their work there. The trip might involve a visit to one of the wildlife refuges while we are there, but it is geared toward other work. I searched and only came up with two older threads on traveling to Uganda and wondered if others have any advice. Not looking for info on places to go, but rather safety concerns traveling with photo gear and what voltage the electricity is for charging batteries. Also interested in the best way to do back up while there. Is anyone aware of laws about photographing the people and if so, how would I go about finding them? Other thoughts on the technical aspects of a trip like this would be appreciated.

Gear that I have includes a 6d; 24-70mm f/4 L; 70-200mm f/2.8 (non-IS) L; Sigma 150-600mm C; 50mm and 85mm primes. If I go, I will probably either pick up another 70d (killed mine a month ago) or an 80d and then would have a few more lens options as well. Not certain if I want to lug the 150-600mm around so I might consider a 2x tele for the 70-200mm.

Flickr (external link) | Gear | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
EOS-Mike
Joined Oct 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Mar 22, 2017 11:32 |  #2

Once you leave we'll be able to say "Uganda Uganda."

You gone to uganda.

Canon 6D, 24-105L, 50mm 1.8 stm

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Mar 22, 2017 17:39 |  #3

NbrGuy, best wishes on your journey.

You will encounter the poorest of the poor there. Many orphans. Girls and women are treated in many areas as second (or third) (or fourth) class humans. Uganda has a young population... due to the genocide of Idi Amin in the 1970's and later the AIDS epidemic that turned into the global pandemic present today (Uganda still has a very high rate of AIDS). I've been told that the vast number of adults are only around 40 years old. Gangs are definitely prevalent, with kids being very street smart with a survivalist mentality in many areas. There is still a tribal society there. Bigamy is still practiced. I would use care in traveling and definitely stick with locals who know which areas are safe to go into and those to stay away from. Few doctors are there, especially away from the city areas, but even in the cities there are not that many. Mail delivery is very poor...don't send any valuables via mail. Etc., etc.,.

You are going to a place, that if you are able to see the *real* country will change your life forever. We take so much for granted here in the USA...a bed, a toothbrush, toilet paper, food..... What your group is working may very well turn into more meaningful photography than a trip to a wildlife refuge.

Again, best wishes to you and yours on the trip,
Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Mar 22, 2017 17:53 |  #4

They've got an unusual plug pin configuration, different from Europe and a good bit of Asia. The voltage should be fine, 240V, which pretty much every charger can handle.

Sam
6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

NebrGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2010
Nebraska
Mar 22, 2017 21:13 as a reply to Intheswamp's post |  #5

I think you were one of two people who has started a thread prior to this on travel to Uganda. I appreciate your comments and from what I've read in the last I completely agree with your perspective on the culture. I'm still working on details to determine if I even go, but I'm hopeful it will work out.

Flickr (external link) | Gear | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

S2kAtTracks
Joined May 2008
Nashville, TN
May 09, 2017 21:57 |  #6

Did you go? Or are you going? If so where to?

My wife and I adopted a little boy from Kampala. We spent most of our time in Jinja, when not in Kampala for the adoption stuff. We ended up there for just under 6 months.

I did not do much photography of people, was told it was not the best idea.

You'll meet the poorest of poor, but some of the happiest people on Earth.

There are many many beautiful areas.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from S2kAtTracks's gallery.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from S2kAtTracks's gallery.

Gear:
Bodies - Canon 5dm2 w/ grip
Lenses - Canon 17-40L, 28-135mm, 35-80mm, Niffy 50
Accessories - Filters, Manfrotto Tripod

NebrGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2010
Nebraska
May 10, 2017 20:35 as a reply to S2kAtTracks's post |  #7

Getting ready to go. Leave in a few weeks. We will be spending most of our time in and around Jinja as well. One or two days at the end of the trip will take us to Murchison Falls.

NebrGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2010
Nebraska
May 10, 2017 20:59 |  #8

S2kAtTracks wrote in post #18350580 (external link)
I did not do much photography of people, was told it was not the best idea.

I'm curious if you were given a reason. I'm wondering if it had to do with the adoption itself or just a cultural thing with the area.

S2kAtTracks
Joined May 2008
Nashville, TN
May 11, 2017 10:57 as a reply to NebrGuy's post |  #9

Awesome! We went to Murchison falls. We did a 3 day Safari. Pretty much saw everything. Was a fantastic time.

Gear:

S2kAtTracks
Joined May 2008
Nashville, TN
May 11, 2017 10:59 as a reply to NebrGuy's post |  #10

As far as photos of people, I heard it was cultural. Although, I'm not sure how much they would care really.

Adoption had nothing to do with it.

Jinja has so.e great eating spots.

Also there is a good Ice cream place. It's not on main Street, it's at a house(can't recall the name now).

Gear:

NebrGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2010
Nebraska
May 11, 2017 22:22 |  #11

S2kAtTracks wrote in post #18351938 (external link)
Awesome! We went to Murchison falls. We did a 3 day Safari. Pretty much saw everything. Was a fantastic time.

We will only be there two nights and one full days as far as I can tell from the schedule.

S2kAtTracks wrote in post #18351941 (external link)
As far as photos of people, I heard it was cultural. Although, I'm not sure how much they would care really.

Adoption had nothing to do with it.

Jinja has so.e great eating spots.

Also there is a good Ice cream place. It's not on main Street, it's at a house(can't recall the name now).

I'm actually going with an organization that is trying to establish some non-profit work in the area geared toward orphanages. Most everything is pre-arranged. They wanted someone to go along and document it. That said, I don't know if they've considered that part of the conversation. I'll certainly be checking into it before I do too much shooting.

sponsored links

3,452 views & 8 likes for this thread
Possible trip to Uganda
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.