Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions
Thread started 20 Mar 2017 (Monday) 14:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Digital Speed Challenge #456 "Material"

Ltdave
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
the farthest point east in michigan
Mar 20, 2017 14:24 |  #1

Material. Show me what Material captures your attention.

i was taken by surprise with "the win" (i never win anything and just wanted to share my pictures) so good luck with this one. i tried to come up with something that wasnt cliche like "spring, water, green, etc...

The challenge begins when posted, and will end on Saturday, March 24 at noon EDT . The winner will be announced shortly thereafter. (Or more likely, the next morning.)

CHALLENGE RULES:
1. Camera: Any DIGITAL CAMERA is allowed, (not just DSLR)
2. Time: Any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
3. Size: See standard P.O.T.N. Image Posting Rules.
4. Post Processing: Do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
5. Posting: ONE PHOTO per photographer in each challenge.
6. Details: Show camera model & lens used. Post brief EXIF data including ISO, shutter speed and aperture used.
7. Commenting: Please, NO COMMENTING DURING CHALLENGE feel free to comment in this thread after a winner is declared.
8. Content: Keep it clean, and both Family and Work safe.
9. Have questions? PM me.
10. Have FUN!
* THE WINNER ALWAYS SETS THE THEME FOR THE NEXT CHALLENGE, POSTS IT AND JUDGES IT - BE PREPARED!

A new challenge should be posted ASAP after you have been declared the winner.

sponsored links
Paul ­ B
148 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Indiana
Post has been edited 6 months ago by Paul B.
Mar 21, 2017 07:25 |  #2

All the basic material:

EOS 5DII, 50D w/18-200, 70-200 F2.8, Sony a6000

Owain ­ Shaw
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
Valencia, Spain.
Mar 23, 2017 08:18 |  #3

Material goods/values.

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5624/21055067292_b2a7378bbd_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/y5yH​XA] (external link)Madrid (external link) by Owain Shaw Photo (external link), en Flickr

| Owain Shaw Photoexternal link |
| Gear | Flickrexternal link |

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,577 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Mar 24, 2017 19:17 |  #4

Reading Material

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2897/14383906762_9165203e2a_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nV4h​ms] (external link)Village Bookshop (external link) by Mark Johnson (external link), on Flickr

Mark J.
Gear

Benitoite
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Morgan Hill, CA
Mar 25, 2017 02:12 |  #5

denim

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from Benitoite's gallery.

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
the farthest point east in michigan
Mar 25, 2017 11:58 |  #6

wow...

all good submissions, thanks!

take all of my comments with a HUGE GRAIN OF SALT. im an okay photographer but by NO MEANS an artist, art critic or even classically trained in the arts. just going to mention my thoughts on the shots.

Paul, your "all the basic materials" i like because it shows exactly that. composition wise, i would have probably cropped some of the sky out and subsequently moved the horizon to the upper third of the shot.

Owain, "Material goods/values" is the kind of street photography that i want to learn. seems if i were to take the exact same shot, i would hate it, but when others shoot them, i like them.

M_six, "reading material" is a photo very much like i would take. full of the subject matter almost to the point of overload. i like it.

Benitoite, your "denim" shot is really cool. if you didnt tell me it was Denim, i would have thought it was deep pile carpeting. im into detail oriented images too so this one speaks to me too.

the big hard decision? im going to have to go with Owain's Material Goods...

whew. glad im done with this!

dont Owain, you need to come up with a topic for the next challenge!

Owain ­ Shaw
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
Valencia, Spain.
Post has been edited 6 months ago by Owain Shaw.
Mar 25, 2017 16:26 |  #7

Ltdave wrote in post #18310552 (external link)
Owain, "Material goods/values" is the kind of street photography that i want to learn. seems if i were to take the exact same shot, i would hate it, but when others shoot them, i like them.

Thanks for the comments, and also the nod, Dave, a nice surprise I must say as I submitted the photo trying to go outside the box a little, which I actually think everyone has done - which I think also speaks well for the topic if it's got people thinking creatively. Well done everyone.

I also know the feelings you describe very well. It's perhaps something quite particular to Street photography. For a long time I admired the work of other photographers, a good few on these pages, but with the certainty that were the photograph my own I wouldn't feel the same way about it. While their work, the moment or subject captured really appealed and spoke to me, it wasn't a photograph I myself would have taken, or not in that way, but it could still really appeal to me.

I think this is actually a good thing for you. With time and application, you'll be able to develop your own way of seeing things in the streets and bringing them to the world. That you can enjoy the work of others but not want to simply produce photos visually similar to them, but instead photographs that speak to you and to others in a similar way, that's a positive. As with any type of photography, the best way to learn is to shoot.

Someone like Allen (airfrogusmc) whose work is a real inspiration, is out there shooting all the time and has been for years. Those hours spent on the streets today and those years honing both the technical craft and the artistic vision are plain to see.

| Owain Shaw Photoexternal link |
| Gear | Flickrexternal link |

sponsored links

1,241 views & 4 likes for this thread
Digital Speed Challenge #456 "Material"
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.