Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 20 Mar 2017 (Monday) 20:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Camera in carry-on? Not if your travelling to the us

WaltA
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
White Rock, BC, Canada
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by WaltA. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 20, 2017 20:26 |  #1

For everyone who doesn't trust their camera gear to baggage handlers, this might be a problem.

http://www.stuff.co.nz​/travel/news/90677315/​.html (external link)

https://www.wired.com ...bins-may-not-worst-thing/ (external link)

http://hosted.ap.org ...CTIME=2017-03-20-20-54-57 (external link)

It appears that this only applies to some foreign airlines.

https://www.itnews.com​.au ...=rss&utm_campaign=i​Tnews+ (external link)

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

sponsored links
frozenframe
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2013
Kansas, USA
Post has been edited 3 months ago by frozenframe.
Mar 20, 2017 20:50 |  #2

It's very sad it is coming to this in the U.S. This appears as a reaction to a security threat, that might involve using electronic devices aboard an aircraft. I would rather have the ban, making it much more difficult for some horrendous plot to be carried out, and no ban and hear about whatever airline exploded, or has been hijacked.

Look at the countries the ban is targeting. It doesn't take a rocket scientist figure out why they are doing this.

Ron
My Gear List

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,010 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Post has been edited 3 months ago by kf095.
Mar 21, 2017 07:06 |  #3

About four or so years I switched to mechanical film Leica if I travel. Ten rolls of film for two weeks is enough. No electronics. I could use Sunny 16 "device" if I have to for exposure :)

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Chris ­ L ­ F
193 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Warwick, England
Mar 21, 2017 18:49 |  #4

I've been preparing for a trip to New Zealand with a few days in Australia which included buying a laptop for backing up my photographs as I travel.

Within a few hours of the US issuing the ban on certain (well most) electronic items being carried in hand luggage from certain airports it was followed by one in the UK.

Whilst the flights I'm taking are unaffected at the moment I'm travelling via Dubia and I'm worried that further bans will be introduced.

No way am I putting an expensive laptop and DSLR equipment into my suitcase given the way they are thrown around and the increased risk of theft. And worse than that finding after that my suitcase has been checked in that the taking of equipment in hand luggage is then refused.

Who knows what is going to happen, I might be OK going out, but a few weeks later things might change when coming back.

I'm leaving in a couple of days time and am unwilling to take the risk so have decided on no laptop, no tablet and no DSLR. Only thing certain so far is the compact and I'm wondering about the G16. No means of backing up, just the SD cards.

It probably sounds like a knee jerk reaction but as I said who knows and these restrictions might escalate and I just can't take the risk.

It will still be a great trip but I'm very disappointed that it won't be the photographic adventure I was planning and looking forward to.

Like others I've got no problem with increased security checks and in fact welcome them but am wondering what these bans are going to achieve? Surely it is better to check items as they go through including showing that they work rather than having them in your suitcase in the hold?

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/hinkleigh/ (external link)
EOS 650D + 3 lenses + Speedlite 600EX-RT G1X Mark II G16 SX210 IS Pixma Pro-100S

Talley
Talley Whacker
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Mar 21, 2017 19:14 |  #5

Guys.... UPS is way worse on our stuff than airlines at least we would put them in nice padded cases or pelicans

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L F4 IS | Σ 24-70A | Σ 24A | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

WaltA
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
White Rock, BC, Canada
Mar 21, 2017 19:18 as a reply to Talley's post |  #6

Yeah, many people travelling with electronics ship it as cargo ahead of their trip.

But I have seen videos of boxes being tossed out of a cargo aircraft or delivery truck (no names mentioned).

Walt

WaltA
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
White Rock, BC, Canada
Post has been edited 3 months ago by WaltA.
Mar 21, 2017 19:32 as a reply to Chris L F's post |  #7

You caution is well-deserved.

There are many pieces to this ban that will be tested.

Because the ban is against airlines (and airports) rather than countries it presents a number of issues.

I've worked in the airline industry for years and see lots of disruption coming.

Good luck on your trip.

Walt

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Mar 21, 2017 19:36 |  #8

[QUOTE=Chris L F;18307346]It will still be a great trip but I'm very disappointed that it won't be the photographic adventure I was planning and looking forward to.
QUOTE]

Make sure your insurance is in good order and take a little risk. It's just kit and it's replaceable. You can't replace your time ... you get that only once.

MrWho
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Joined Aug 2009
North of Baltimore, MD
Post has been edited 3 months ago by MrWho.
Mar 21, 2017 19:45 |  #9

The most concise version from the links posted:

A US official said the ban will apply to nonstop flights to the US from 10 international airports in Egypt, Jordan, Kuwait, Morocco, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates.

If you're not visiting the ME, then you're fine. It's not a blanket ban.

Gear

WaltA
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
White Rock, BC, Canada
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by WaltA. 3 edits done in total.
Mar 21, 2017 19:47 |  #10

MrWho wrote in post #18307426 (external link)
The most concise version from the links posted:

If you're not visiting the ME, then you're fine. It's not a blanket ban.

But what if your flight is thru the ME from else where? Like the Previous poster. Coming back to the US from Australia via Dubai?
He's not visiting the ME but is probably affected by this.

Rather than the news media this is probably a better place to look for info
https://www.dhs.gov ...-point-departure-airports (external link)

Walt

MrWho
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Joined Aug 2009
North of Baltimore, MD
Mar 21, 2017 21:19 |  #11

WaltA wrote in post #18307429 (external link)
But what if your flight is thru the ME from else where? Like the Previous poster. Coming back to the US from Australia via Dubai?

Depends on where in the US. If visiting Australia, probably on Cathay or another Asian carrier. Not being smart about it, but it wouldn't be the first time a route has become unusable.

Gear

TeleFragger
Goldmember
3,151 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Williamstown, NJ
Mar 21, 2017 21:23 |  #12

are you saying I need to get my Canon F-1 out and buy some rolls of film?

GearBag - Feedback****Flickr - my playhouse (external link)****RF-603 Discussion
Canon 7Dm2 Gripped | 32GB Transcend CF | 32GB Eye Fi Mobi SD | YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8| Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod
if I post a pic.. it is there to be picked on... (I have thick skin.. im in IT)

Chris ­ L ­ F
193 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Warwick, England
Mar 22, 2017 02:37 |  #13

Part of the problem for me is that I leave in less than 24 hours and am working today so little time for checking insurance and getting better protection for the laptop.

But after sleeping on it I'm taking the 650D and a mid-zoom and the laptop and risking it and hoping I get it to NZ OK.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/hinkleigh/ (external link)
EOS 650D + 3 lenses + Speedlite 600EX-RT G1X Mark II G16 SX210 IS Pixma Pro-100S

WaltA
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
White Rock, BC, Canada
Mar 22, 2017 13:11 |  #14

WaltA wrote in post #18307429 (external link)

Followup that answers this question about connecting flights

What about connecting flights?
If you are on a business trip from Asia to the US, it is likely that a Middle Eastern airport like Dubai could be part of your itinerary.
But the document detailing the enhanced security refers to "last point of departure airports" -
so if you change planes at one of the affected airports for the last leg of your trip, the rules still apply.
So, for example, going from Dubai to New York - a 14-hour flight - will leave you without a laptop or other device,
no matter where you started your journey from.
"TSA recommends passengers transferring at one of the 10 affected airports place any large personal electronic devices in their checked bags upon check-in at their originating airport," the official advice says.

from this site
http://www.bbc.com/new​s/world-us-canada-39336518 (external link)

Walt

Scottboarding
Joined May 2016
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Scottboarding.
Mar 27, 2017 22:23 |  #15

Going to Sweden in July. Really glad I shoot film.

EDIT: Just realized Sweden is fine. Still bringing film :-D

Canon 7D - Canon 24-105mm f4L - Canon 24mm f2.8 STM - Canon 35mm f2
Nikon FM2n - Nikon Ai-s 28mm f2.8 - Nikon Ai 50mm f1.4
Ricoh GRii

sponsored links

2,223 views & 7 likes for this thread
Camera in carry-on? Not if your travelling to the us
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.