Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Lens Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 24 Mar 2017 (Friday) 03:18
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

New Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro with Illumination

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
Joined Oct 2008
Buffalo, NY
Mar 24, 2017 03:18 |  #1

http://www.canonrumors​.com ...-have-macro-illumination/ (external link)

Yes please.

Love the little 28mm for the EF-M system, Such a good idea to integrate a simple ringlight into the lens like that

This is pretty much a must buy for me for obvious reasons..

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

sponsored links
Robin522
Joined Aug 2009
Netherlands
Apr 03, 2017 12:36 |  #2

Personally I'm a bit disappointed about the new EF-S prime. Had hoped for something like a 18mm f/2 pancake lens.

This is what we get and I don't think that it has something unique over other lens options. The 35mm focal length just doesn't do it for me when it comes to macro photography. The working distance is so short that it makes it uncomfortable to use for anything that isn't static. It could be interesting for people wanting to get a taste of macro and its lighting techniques, but for anyone else there are better dedicated macro lenses. Other than that, I see no point in getting this over something like the 24mm/40mm STM pancake lenses or even the 35mm f/2 IS (other than the latter being significantly more expensive, probably).

Canon EOS 80D
Canon 10-18mm STM | Canon 24-70mm f/4 | Canon 85mm f/1.8
Canon Speedlite 430EX II
500px (external link)

Scottboarding
Joined May 2016
Apr 03, 2017 21:52 |  #3

Of all of the primes they could've come out with, and they chose this? With the current crop sensor line up you would think they would start offering some more professional lenses. Nikon nailed it with the 35mm f1.8. Canon could make a 28mm-35mm prime at f2 and sell it for a good price. Really the only normal field of view lenses they have is either the 28mm 1.8/2.8 IS or the 35mm f2 IS which are both really expensive compared to the Nikon DX 35mm. It seems only 3rd party brands take crop lenses seriously.

Olympus E-M1 - Mitakon 25mm f0.95 - Olympus 25mm f1.8 - Olympus 17mm f1.8
Nikon FM2n - Nikon Ai-s 28mm f2.8 - Nikon Ai 50mm f1.4
Ricoh GRii

Michael456
241 posts
Joined Apr 2016
Apr 04, 2017 00:56 |  #4

I'm not exactly thrilled by this one either. While I find (moderate) wide-angle macro interesting, I don't get why they equipped a macro lens with STM (instead of USM) and no distance scale.

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
Joined Oct 2008
Buffalo, NY
Apr 06, 2017 01:47 |  #5

Fair points.. I do like it, but yeah.. I would rather a more professional-ish 35mm f/1.8 as well..

Only lens Canon really is missing for the APS-C cameras, a fast 50mm-equivalent that isnt terrible.. the 35mm f/2 IS is pretty much the best option

vengence
Goldmember
2,097 posts
Joined Mar 2013
Apr 06, 2017 09:23 |  #6

I have a 100L and a 35 f/2 IS. I don't see a use for me for this lens. For the entry level person who wants to photograph people and flowers looking for their first prime, this is probably going to be the go to answer for someone's first prime, assuming they keep this lens affordable. If it is a 500$ lens this thing will never sell.

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
Joined Oct 2008
Buffalo, NY
Post has been edited 7 months ago by KenjiS.
Apr 06, 2017 10:33 |  #7

vengence wrote in post #18321014 (external link)
I have a 100L and a 35 f/2 IS. I don't see a use for me for this lens. For the entry level person who wants to photograph people and flowers looking for their first prime, this is probably going to be the go to answer for someone's first prime, assuming they keep this lens affordable. If it is a 500$ lens this thing will never sell.

$350

I could see applications for it, they even note a few (food and etc) or when i need a physically smaller lens or one with a wider FoV than the 100L.. i think the integrated illumination is nice, Genuinely wish the 100L had that

I mean its guaranteed to be a great sharp little lens.. the 28mm one for the EF-M is great too just... not sure im gonna blow money on it

vengence
Goldmember
2,097 posts
Joined Mar 2013
Apr 06, 2017 12:00 |  #8

KenjiS wrote in post #18321084 (external link)
$350

I could see applications for it, they even note a few (food and etc) or when i need a physically smaller lens or one with a wider FoV than the 100L.. i think the integrated illumination is nice, Genuinely wish the 100L had that

I mean its guaranteed to be a great sharp little lens.. the 28mm one for the EF-M is great too just... not sure im gonna blow money on it

Yeah, I saw that preorder prices get released after I posted that. I think 350$ it'll do quite well for it's intended market. I was hoping for a real WA or UWA like the original rumors promised, but oh well.

FEChariot
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2011
Apr 06, 2017 19:18 |  #9

I think there would be a lot less whining about this lens from people, me included, if Canon released it with another prosumer crop lens. I get the market for this and I think it will sell well, but Canon is way over due in developing good crop lenses. They have nothing wide and fast and the 17-55 is really showing its age.

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

vengence
Goldmember
2,097 posts
Joined Mar 2013
Apr 06, 2017 20:35 |  #10

FEChariot wrote in post #18321542 (external link)
I think there would be a lot less whining about this lens from people, me included, if Canon released it with another prosumer crop lens. I get the market for this and I think it will sell well, but Canon is way over due in developing good crop lenses. They have nothing wide and fast and the 17-55 is really showing its age.

I'm guessing Sigma will release an (16-18)ish-(50-55)ish f/2ish lens with IS before we'll see a 17-55 update from canon.

ma11rats
Joined Feb 2013
Az
Apr 06, 2017 23:33 |  #11

This is a freaking great addition to Canon's lens line up. A 56mm FOVCF f2.8 1:1 macro lens with IS and built in fill light priced at $350 for everyday consumers. What an awesome lens to add to a rebel kit. Throw this little guy onto an SL1(2 ever gets released??) for an afternoon walk in the forest/desert trail/rose garden, yes please.

www.matthewbeutelphoto​graphy.com (external link)
5D, 6D, 80D, 35f2IS, T 85f1.8VC, T 24-70f2.8VC, T 17-50f2.8

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
Joined Oct 2008
Buffalo, NY
Apr 09, 2017 15:14 |  #12

vengence wrote in post #18321581 (external link)
I'm guessing Sigma will release an (16-18)ish-(50-55)ish f/2ish lens with IS before we'll see a 17-55 update from canon.

Problem is, annoyingly, unless they do it right, with a ring-type HSM and stuff Im not interested. Id welcome a 30mm f/1.2 option from them, Since Sigma has shown they REALLY like giving crop shooters unique lenses (18-35 f/1.8 and 50-100 f/1.8 come immediately to mind)

Love my 15-85 still, Albeit i have thought of trading it out for the 12-60 f/2.8-4 Leica for my GX8 instead (Since what I use that lens for the GX8 is more likely to be used for, ie, travel and general walkaround)

ma11rats wrote in post #18321681 (external link)
This is a freaking great addition to Canon's lens line up. A 56mm FOVCF f2.8 1:1 macro lens with IS and built in fill light priced at $350 for everyday consumers. What an awesome lens to add to a rebel kit. Throw this little guy onto an SL1(2 ever gets released??) for an afternoon walk in the forest/desert trail/rose garden, yes please.

Or for food at a restaurant, its a big reason i like my 45mm f/2.8 Macro-Elmarit on my GX8 in restaurants

pixel_junkie
Goldmember
1,981 posts
Joined May 2007
Southern California
Apr 10, 2017 09:58 |  #13

ma11rats wrote in post #18321681 (external link)

Exactly! What is there not to like? A standard focal length with excellent macro capability. Could be a perfect do it all lens.

Website (external link) | Blog (external link)

Michael101
74 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Tucson, Az
Jul 07, 2017 03:56 |  #14

Has anyone tried this lens yet? This is the only thread on it I can find on the forums.

And how good/bad is the macrolight system the lens comes with...

LED Macro Lite
Capture detail with clarity, illuminating subjects using an LED Macro Lite built-in to the end of the lens. You can independently control the right and left lamps, as well as dial up the intensity for flexibility.

The local BestBuy (external link) has this lens, but I was hoping to find some opinions/sample images.

vengence
Goldmember
2,097 posts
Joined Mar 2013
Jul 07, 2017 07:23 |  #15

Michael101 wrote in post #18396017 (external link)
Has anyone tried this lens yet? This is the only thread on it I can find on the forums.

And how good/bad is the macrolight system the lens comes with...

The local BestBuy (external link) has this lens, but I was hoping to find some opinions/sample images.

There won't be too many people on this forum buying this lens. It is really targeted at an entry level, female, photographer who wants to take pictures of flowers. Just so we're clear, that's not my opinion, that's a description of the video advertisement canon released with this lens. For the people on this forum who tend to want to debate between L series glass, it's going to be a tough sell. The few that do pick it up, it'll be a whim to play with a new toy. For what it's worth, I'm sure it will make a great flower lens, but will be too short for most macro work involving living things.

sponsored links

1,515 views & 2 likes for this thread
New Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro with Illumination
FORUMS News & Rumors Lens Rumors and Predictions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.