Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental
Thread started 25 Mar 2017 (Saturday) 17:36
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Selective Color

jasonp1
Joined Sep 2005
Uvalde, Texas
Post has been edited 6 months ago by jasonp1.
Mar 25, 2017 17:36 |  #1

I was in Puno, Peru last week and got caught in the middle of a Agricultural workers protest. The Indian women were all colorfully dressed and I wondered what a selective color photo might look like. So...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Thankfully it was a peaceful protest and most of them thought I was an American reporter so t was all good.

www.penneyphoto.com (external link) & flickr (external link)

sponsored links
windpig
Chopped liver
14,551 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Just South of Ballard
Mar 25, 2017 18:20 |  #2

It's distracting

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Mar 25, 2017 18:32 |  #3

No ... but there again ... ... absolutely no, not ever!

jasonp1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2005
Uvalde, Texas
Mar 25, 2017 18:44 |  #4

DaviSto wrote in post #18310829 (external link)
No ... but there again ... ... absolutely no, not ever!

Care to elaborate lol..people used to like selective color..I guess not so much anymore. Twas an idea..

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Mar 26, 2017 06:38 as a reply to jasonp1's post |  #5

A couple of disapproving comments and you take your picture down?

There will always be those that don't like a particular piece of your work. At the same time, there will be those that do. But don't go hiding it away just because someone offers a not so flattering response. I don't care for selective color either but don't forget how subjective art can be.

Heck, I can look at a Picasso and it looks like a 5 year old did it..........to me.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Mar 26, 2017 06:46 |  #6

Sorry ... don't take it down. It didn't work for me but I am not the Lord Chief Justice of photographic art. Anything but. And others might like it.

jasonp1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2005
Uvalde, Texas
Mar 26, 2017 09:36 |  #7

saea501 wrote in post #18311105 (external link)
A couple of disapproving comments and you take your picture down?

There will always be those that don't like a particular piece of your work. At the same time, there will be those that do. But don't go hiding it away just because someone offers a not so flattering response. I don't care for selective color either but don't forget how subjective art can be.

Heck, I can look at a Picasso and it looks like a 5 year old did it..........to me.

I didn't take it down, I merely replaced it with another photo on my flickr page and forgot that it would unlink here. I put it in my gallery here so it'll be more permanent. Trust me, I've been doing this photography hobby longer than many on this site have been alive and have listened to disapproving comments (and approving) for years. Opinions are how I've learned and continue to learn.

jasonp1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2005
Uvalde, Texas
Mar 26, 2017 09:39 |  #8

DaviSto wrote in post #18311109 (external link)
Sorry ... don't take it down. It didn't work for me but I am not the Lord Chief Justice of photographic art. Anything but. And others might like it.

No reasons to be sorry, I posted and asked for opinions and got one. It was nothing more that an experiment to see how it would look. Your opinion was appreciated.

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Mar 26, 2017 10:55 |  #9

jasonp1 wrote in post #18310841 (external link)
Care to elaborate lol..people used to like selective color..I guess not so much anymore. Twas an idea..

Selective color is still popular -- among nascent photographers. To beginner photographers it's "Cool! Look what I can do". As they grow in their craft, they begin to realize that a good photograph tells a story and a successful composition directs the eyes to the point of interest. Selective color in effect says, "I'm not confident that my photo is clear in showing what's important. So I'll use selective color." In your photo, the eye is naturally drawn to the faces. The mind asks itself, "What's going on here?" Where's the story? Your use of selective color wrenches the eye away from the story.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

jasonp1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2005
Uvalde, Texas
Mar 26, 2017 19:43 |  #10

joedlh wrote in post #18311287 (external link)
Selective color is still popular -- among nascent photographers. To beginner photographers it's "Cool! Look what I can do". As they grow in their craft, they begin to realize that a good photograph tells a story and a successful composition directs the eyes to the point of interest. Selective color in effect says, "I'm not confident that my photo is clear in showing what's important. So I'll use selective color." In your photo, the eye is naturally drawn to the faces. The mind asks itself, "What's going on here?" Where's the story? Your use of selective color wrenches the eye away from the story.

agreed..

sponsored links

855 views & 2 likes for this thread
Selective Color
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.