Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports
Thread started 27 Mar 2017 (Monday) 15:31
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Shooting at the Master Golf?

ust82gopher
259 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Mar 27, 2017 15:31 |  #1

I have the opportunity to attend the Tuesday practice day at the Masters this year. The Patrons guide states that still photographs for personal use are permitted on practice days. But that is the total amount of info available - no details on what is allowed (size of camera, lens, etc)

There are rules on backpacks, etc. So I am assuming all I can bring is lens attached to camera.

I would LOVE to bring my 7DII and 100-400mm lens and take photos. But I am concerned that my gear might make me look "professional" and have it ruled inappropriate.

Has anyone here taken photos at the Master's? Any insight as to what gear is allowed?

Tim

Tim
Gear List: Canon 5Dmk II and 7D, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM, EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF 85 mm f/1.8 USM, EF 135 f/2.0L USM, Extender EF 2x II, Speedlite 580EX and 430EX

sponsored links
ronlane
Joined Dec 2015
Mar 28, 2017 15:16 |  #2

I'd like to say that I knew the answer but I'm just posting to wish you luck and to tell you how jealous I am.

Ron Lane

Scott ­ West
Joined Jan 2014
Wisconsin
Mar 28, 2017 19:37 |  #3

Check out the golf thread and you may find your answer there from gonzogolfl. Seems he took a 70-200 without issue. Maybe you should message him

mcluckie
I play with fire, run with scissors and skate on thin ice all at once!
Joined Jul 2009
Chicago & Samsonite
Post has been last edited 6 months ago by mcluckie. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 28, 2017 20:25 |  #4

I used to shoot the PGA (and some LPGA) tours. Back in the Lee Travino and Nancy Lopez days. We all had 350, 500, 800mm lenses. I'm sure the 100-400 is just fine. Put it on a strap over your shoulder and no one will look. Its roughly the same size as a 70-200 2.8.

Yet another reason why I kept a 200 2.8 prime so long. Small and unassuming.

multidisciplinary visual guy | id/bauhaus alum | traveler on the 8-fold path | seeker of the spark | walker of the dog
all dingus | dslr canon 5DIV w/EgS, 5DIII w/EgS, 35LIIƒ1.4, 16-35Lƒ4IS, 70-200LIIƒ2.8IS
zeiss
distagon 15ƒ2.8, 21ƒ2.8, 25ƒ2, 28ƒ2, 24-85N; apo sonnar 135ƒ2; makro planar 50ƒ2, 100ƒ2; milvus 50ƒ1.4

ust82gopher
THREAD ­ STARTER
259 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Mar 29, 2017 10:07 as a reply to Scott West's post |  #5

Thanks Scott. I will PM gonzogolfl

Tim
Gear List: Canon 5Dmk II and 7D, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM, EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF 85 mm f/1.8 USM, EF 135 f/2.0L USM, Extender EF 2x II, Speedlite 580EX and 430EX

RobotDoctor
123 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Colorado
Mar 30, 2017 19:31 |  #6

I took my Canon 60D with three lenses, a 100mm-300mm, 18mm-200mm and 10mm-20mm. All fit in my camera bag and had no issues taking it in. I went on the Monday practice round in 2015. Have a great time. The National and The Masters is an experience like no other. AMAZING!!!

Canon 60D, Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM

Pigpen101
Joined Mar 2017
Mar 31, 2017 19:14 as a reply to RobotDoctor's post |  #7

I would definitely try to get the 100-400mm in. You can never have "too much reach" shooting golf. It sounds like mcluckie had credentials. If so, that's a completely different story. Also, it depends on the guys working the event. I've actually seen someone with photo credentials get hassled. A man started standing in front of his lens until he finally had enough and called in someone to explain to the volunteer that he was media and aloud to take photos. I've also witnessed people, usually the caddies, persistently telling people "no pictures, please put away your cellphones". It's all about copyrights and making money. I have a friend who will be covering his 18th Masters this year for SI. Media usually can get "inside the ropes" credentials but that is not even available at the Masters. Another thing to keep in mind is that crowds, like the rules, tend to get tougher to deal with as the week goes on. Something that you can get away with on Monday may not be allowed come Thursday. Augusta is a beautiful course so don't be afraid of some wider angles. A player on the green/tee with the clubhouse or a huge crowd in the background can really tell a story. As photographers it is constantly drilled into our heads to get as close as possible and then crop on top of that. Just remember to be courteous, it will get you further than loosing your temper. If an official or volunteer gives you a hard time, move on to another hole/position because you will never win that argument. Just relax and enjoy the moment. Sometimes if you are too worried about getting the shot you really aren't "being" there. Have fun, I'm jealous.

NDAPhoto
142 posts
Joined Jul 2015
California
Mar 31, 2017 19:53 |  #8

I have never shot at the Masters, but other PGA events do not have any restrictions on long lenses during practice rounds. So long as you do not distract or interfere with players or other spectators, and stay in designated areas, you are okay. No tripods, no flash obviously. Some photographers are credentialed, so you can't necessarily do what they do, but they are obvious to spot. One tip, go to the driving range and putting green an hour before the top players tee off. Depending how the range is set up, you may get some good shots there. In the gallery, go low or go high. You'll know what I mean.

ust82gopher
THREAD ­ STARTER
259 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Mar 31, 2017 20:36 |  #9

Thanks Guys for all the thoughts. Decided to take several lens and see what I can bring in. Worse case if they go back into the car. I'll try and post a few photos next week.

Tim

Yaryman
Joined Feb 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
Apr 01, 2017 07:07 |  #10

I've gone to US Open practice rounds over the years and had no problem bringing in a lens. Just remember to shoot your photos as though
it was a regular round. ( don't start the motor drive in the middle of the back swing ) Even though it's practice it will bother the golfer.
This was from the 2012 US Open at the Olympic Club during a practice round. All those people behind the golfer with cameras wouldn't be allowed during a regular round.

IMAGE: https://prophoto.discount/Images/2012-US-Open.jpg

Napa Valley Wedding Photography (external link)
ProPhoto Blog Discount (external link)

i-G12
Wat?
1,358 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Seattle, WA
Post has been last edited 6 months ago by i-G12. 3 edits done in total.
Apr 01, 2017 11:58 |  #11

I'm heading to Augusta this Monday. Will be attending the Tuesday and Wednesday practice rounds + the Par 3 tournament.

I guess it depends on what you're trying to accomplish with your photography. For me it's all about the golf course. I have always wanted to see Augusta National in person and finally I'm doing it.

I've been to many golf tournaments including the US Open and the PGA Championship but to be honest never felt the need to bring a camera. This is different. Augusta is just beautiful beyond compare. I hope it lives up to its reputation.

So I finally decided to bring my 18-135 the first day along with a camcorder. I can better judge just how important more reach is going to be once I'm actually there. I am not interested per se in getting close up shots of the actual golfers so the wider side seems more necessary for me. I am also bringing my 70-300 L and if i think it's appropriate I'll being it on Wednesday or depending how much of a pain it is to go back to the car I may good back and get it on Tuesday. We'll see.

As for the 100-400 I don't think it will be an issue bringing it on the grounds for the practice rounds. The biggest thing I've heard is that they are pretty strict about the size of bags -

Here is a list of the don't from the Masters Website:

Prohibited Items List

Cell phones, cellular capable devices, beepers, electronic devices and tablets are strictly prohibited on the grounds at all times. Cameras are strictly prohibited on Tournament days. Violation of these policies will subject the ticket holder to removal from the grounds and the ticket purchaser to the permanent loss of credentials.
Cell Phones/Cellular capable devices/Beepers/Electr​onic devices/Tablets
Any device capable of transmitting video
Backpacks, Bags and Purses larger than 10” X 10” x 12” (in its natural state)
Cameras*
Weapons of any kind (regardless of permit)
Radios/TVs/Noise or music producing devices/Two way or other talk radios
Folding armchairs/Rigid type chairs
Flags/Banners/Signs
Strollers
Food/Beverages/Coolers
Golf shoes with metal spikes
Ladders/Periscopes/Sel​fie sticks
*Cameras (still photography/personal use only) are allowed on Practice Round days-Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Anyway hope this works out OK. Looks like the weather is going to be good on Tuesday and Wednesday. It's been touch and go with all the rain and lousy weather they have been having.

Pigpen101
Joined Mar 2017
Apr 01, 2017 12:50 |  #12

i-G12 wrote in post #18316663 (external link)
I'm heading to Augusta this Monday. Will be attending the Tuesday and Wednesday practice rounds + the Par 3 tournament.

I guess it depends on what you're trying to accomplish with your photography. For me it's all about the golf course. I have always wanted to see Augusta National in person and finally I'm doing it.

I've been to many golf tournaments including the US Open and the PGA Championship but to be honest never felt the need to bring a camera. This is different. Augusta is just beautiful beyond compare. I hope it lives up to its reputation.

So I finally decided to bring my 18-135 the first day along with a camcorder. I can better judge just how important more reach is going to be once I'm actually there. I am not interested per se in getting close up shots of the actual golfers so the wider side seems more necessary for me. I am also bringing my 70-300 L and if i think it's appropriate I'll being it on Wednesday or depending how much of a pain it is to go back to the car I may good back and get it on Tuesday. We'll see.

As for the 100-400 I don't think it will be an issue bringing it on the grounds for the practice rounds. The biggest thing I've heard is that they are pretty strict about the size of bags -

Here is a list of the don't from the Masters Website:

Prohibited Items List

Cell phones, cellular capable devices, beepers, electronic devices and tablets are strictly prohibited on the grounds at all times. Cameras are strictly prohibited on Tournament days. Violation of these policies will subject the ticket holder to removal from the grounds and the ticket purchaser to the permanent loss of credentials.
Cell Phones/Cellular capable devices/Beepers/Electr​onic devices/Tablets
Any device capable of transmitting video
Backpacks, Bags and Purses larger than 10” X 10” x 12” (in its natural state)
Cameras*
Weapons of any kind (regardless of permit)
Radios/TVs/Noise or music producing devices/Two way or other talk radios
Folding armchairs/Rigid type chairs
Flags/Banners/Signs
Strollers
Food/Beverages/Coolers
Golf shoes with metal spikes
Ladders/Periscopes/Sel​fie sticks
*Cameras (still photography/personal use only) are allowed on Practice Round days-Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Anyway hope this works out OK. Looks like the weather is going to be good on Tuesday and Wednesday. It's been touch and go with all the rain and lousy weather they have been having.

I think you'll be fine, other than the camcorder "*Cameras (still photography/personal use only) are allowed on Practice Round days-Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday."

mcluckie
I play with fire, run with scissors and skate on thin ice all at once!
Joined Jul 2009
Chicago & Samsonite
Post has been edited 6 months ago by mcluckie.
Apr 05, 2017 10:16 |  #13

NDAPhoto wrote in post #18316199 (external link)
I have never shot at the Masters, but other PGA events do not have any restrictions on long lenses during practice rounds. So long as you do not distract or interfere with players or other spectators, and stay in designated areas, you are okay. No tripods, no flash obviously. Some photographers are credentialed, so you can't necessarily do what they do, but they are obvious to spot. One tip, go to the driving range and putting green an hour before the top players tee off. Depending how the range is set up, you may get some good shots there. In the gallery, go low or go high. You'll know what I mean.

All shots look the same. You can shoot a golfer at a practice tee or early round and it looks the same as the final event.

Learn what golfers are left- or right-handed. Learn what they do after they sink a putt. Some turn around right away and you'll get back. Never shoot when a golfer has approached the ball. Only shoot after the strike is made.

I had a finger on a motor-driven Nikon a few decades ago and was halfway down waiting for the strike, when the wind blew (or something) and I went click whir click whir. I met Lee Travinos huge caddy that day, and was chastised in the press tent.

multidisciplinary visual guy | id/bauhaus alum | traveler on the 8-fold path | seeker of the spark | walker of the dog
all dingus | dslr canon 5DIV w/EgS, 5DIII w/EgS, 35LIIƒ1.4, 16-35Lƒ4IS, 70-200LIIƒ2.8IS
zeiss
distagon 15ƒ2.8, 21ƒ2.8, 25ƒ2, 28ƒ2, 24-85N; apo sonnar 135ƒ2; makro planar 50ƒ2, 100ƒ2; milvus 50ƒ1.4

ust82gopher
THREAD ­ STARTER
259 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Post has been edited 6 months ago by ust82gopher.
Apr 09, 2017 14:32 |  #14

Had an absolutely marvelous time on Tuesday. There was NO PROBLEM bringing in the 7DII, 70-200 2.8 IS and the 2xIII. Even saw a couple of people with small camera bags - but I wouldn't try it myself.

A few photos

IMAGE: http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m184/ust82gopher/Masters%202017/IMG_7840_zpshcrghogt.jpg

IMAGE: http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m184/ust82gopher/Masters%202017/IMG_7827_zpsib3kzz1h.jpg

IMAGE: http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m184/ust82gopher/Masters%202017/IMG_8101_zpsjgoa1ywh.jpg

Tim

Tim

i-G12
Wat?
1,358 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Seattle, WA
Post has been edited 6 months ago by i-G12.
Apr 09, 2017 14:50 |  #15

I'm back too!

Words escape me with regard to the entire experience.

BTW, this notion that you can't have enough reach at a golf course is incorrect. In fact my 70-300 L was too much for what I was trying to accomplish! My little 18-135 was perfect.

And yes, Tuesday was perfect. Wednesday, not so much wether wise. Nevertheless, one of the best experiences of my life. So happy i did it.

I'll post some pictures soon.

sponsored links

2,373 views & 4 likes for this thread
Shooting at the Master Golf?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.