Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 27 Mar 2017 (Monday) 16:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

First Wedding. Gear?

Brandon32s
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Mar 2017
Mar 27, 2017 16:46 |  #1

I will be shooting my first wedding in May. I own a t5i and a 50mm 1.4 lens. I just recently sold my 15-85mm and am looking for a replacement. I would like a wide angle zoom lens but also really wanting a 70-200 as well. If I owned a full frame I would definitely purchase the 70-200 since it would then be more practical. Any suggestions?

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Mar 27, 2017 17:53 |  #2

Two camera bodies,
16-35, 24-70, 70-200 zooms. Preferably F2.8 with IS.
Speedlites (2 minimum, preferably 4 for off camera flash. Associated light stands.)
Cards sufficient to hold 2000 raw files.

Lots of practice with equipment, posing, interacting with wedding party, and dealing with unexpected circumstances.
The best way to get the practice mentioned is to shadow a willing wedding photographer for 4 or 5 weddings then work with a seasoned professional wedding photographer as a second shooter for another 4 or 5 weddings.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

pbrimages
209 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Mar 27, 2017 18:17 |  #3

dmward wrote in post #18312619 (external link)
Two camera bodies,
16-35, 24-70, 70-200 zooms. Preferably F2.8 with IS.
Speedlites (2 minimum, preferably 4 for off camera flash. Associated light stands.)
Cards sufficient to hold 2000 raw files.

Lots of practice with equipment, posing, interacting with wedding party, and dealing with unexpected circumstances.
The best way to get the practice mentioned is to shadow a willing wedding photographer for 4 or 5 weddings then work with a seasoned professional wedding photographer as a second shooter for another 4 or 5 weddings.

All that and a good prayer book.

Especially if you're trying to do this without the experience that dmward recommends. Remember, this is someone's once-in-a-lifetime moment. Zero room for screwups.

1DX, 1Ds MkIII IR (FSp), 1Ds MkII, 1Ds, 1D, 1V-HS, G1x II, 550D (Running ML), Elan 7e, 300D, WFT-E2A, WFT-E1A, 17-40 L, 70-200 2.8 L IS USM, 400 DO IS USM, 50 1.4, 50 1.8 Plastique Fantastique, and a host of other less-than-noteworthy detritus

cubatahavana
I still don't see it
Joined Jan 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Post has been edited 8 months ago by cubatahavana.
Mar 27, 2017 18:26 |  #4

Brandon32s wrote in post #18312565 (external link)
I will be shooting my first wedding in May. I own a t5i and a 50mm 1.4 lens. I just recently sold my 15-85mm and am looking for a replacement. I would like a wide angle zoom lens but also really wanting a 70-200 as well. If I owned a full frame I would definitely purchase the 70-200 since it would then be more practical. Any suggestions?

Who are you shooting for? Are you being paid? Two bodies, two flashes, two zooms and lens backup at a minimum. Light stands would be a good idea too. Maybe even an umbrella, depending what you are shooting and when.

Weddings are UNPREDICTABLE. Last Saturday, the joystick of my 5d3 broke in the middle of the ceremony. Had to remember quickly how to change the AF selection to the dials. My bag with my second body was not near and the lens on it was not the adequate, so I had to think fast. Knowing your gear is extremely important.

Did I mention that the wedding was under a gazebo? I debated with myself if to add some lights attached to it to bounce them during the ceremony. I decided against it and then, 5-10 minutes before the ceremony, the whole gazebo went flying (the groom did a shoddy DIY job and did not anchor it correctly to the ground). That would've meant the probable loss of two speed lights for me.

Having said all that, my first wedding was for my sister, with a 550D and the 15-85 and sigma 30mm (1.8 I think). I had a speed light too. Photos were not horrible, but as it was for my sister, the pressure was at a minimum.

My Flickr (external link)
My website (external link)
My instagram (external link)

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,652 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Mar 27, 2017 18:46 |  #5

Definitely two camera bodies and preferably at least one with high ISO capability. I like to use the 24-70mm/2.8 lenson one and my 135/2.0 on the other.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,652 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Mar 27, 2017 18:49 |  #6

By the way, I moved this to the talk forum & out of the photo sharing forum.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

Jethr0
Joined Aug 2012
ON, Canada
Mar 27, 2017 19:05 |  #7

The thought of you shooting a wedding with the gear and presumable experience you have gives me bad chills.

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/jefflowe.ca (external link)

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,125 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Mar 27, 2017 21:50 |  #8

Impossible to answer this worth a cr_p. It's like asking the question "I'm going on vacation. What do I pack."

Weddings can be quite different, presenting different challenges and therefore requiring different equipment strategies.

Advice, make sure expectations and limitations are clearly explained, and understood, and accepted by all involved. Have back ups for everything, camera body, lenses, lights, cards, etc.

Or this advice ..... If wedding photography is somthing you wish to pursue professionally, find a qualified pro to hire (maybe with some assistance from the client) that would agree to let you second shoot with them and learn. Think of the cost as part wedding gift from you, and part investment in your professional development. Kind of a hands on learning experience. Surely the client can pony up some money for their special day.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,280 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 8 months ago by Wilt. 3 edits done in total.
Mar 27, 2017 23:35 |  #9

texkam wrote in post #18312833 (external link)
Impossible to answer this worth a cr_p. It's like asking the question "I'm going on vacation. What do I pack."

Swimming trunks, a camera, sandals, extra underwear.

Back on topic...
...2 cameras, 2 flashes, 2 lenses, extra memory, extra batteries, very good gear familiarity, and ability to think quickly on your feet to solve a range of photographic problems, clean underwear. I'm sincere about this!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Brandon32s
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Mar 2017
Mar 27, 2017 23:37 as a reply to dmward's post |  #10

I am definitely planning on purchasing at least a couple of 430 ii speedlights. I've done some work with off camera flash and am quite familiar with it. Thank you for the recommendations!

Brandon32s
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Mar 2017
Mar 27, 2017 23:39 as a reply to cubatahavana's post |  #11

I'm shooting it for some friends I go to university with. The pay is very low at 200 dollars. So there isn't a huge amount of pressure although this is something that I want to make turn out fantastic! I'm attending classes right now and my income is pretty minuscule. The amount of gear that I feel substantial for a wedding is far out of my budget. Looking for gear that is the best bang for my buck.

Brandon32s
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Mar 2017
Mar 27, 2017 23:41 as a reply to Maureen Souza's post |  #12

The 24-70 is a lens that I have been really looking into. If I find one within my budget then I will not hesitate to grab it!

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Mar 27, 2017 23:41 |  #13

Rent.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Brandon32s
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Mar 2017
Mar 27, 2017 23:43 as a reply to Jethr0's post |  #14

You're correct to presume my experience of shooting a wedding is low, although I have been into photography for nearly four years now and am very comfortable with the gear that I own. This is a low risk wedding situation (but still a wedding to say the least) with a pay of only 200 dollars.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Mar 27, 2017 23:44 |  #15

Brandon32s wrote in post #18312897 (external link)
I am definitely planning on purchasing at least a couple of 430 ii speedlights. I've done some work with off camera flash and am quite familiar with it. Thank you for the recommendations!

Based on my years of experience shooting weddings and other events, I'd class the 430II as an unacceptable speedlite for weddings. Not enough power and limited capabilities for multi-flash shooting.

For the price of two 430's its possible to purchase Godox or Yongnou speedlites with more power and capabilities.
Personally, I get Godox 860s which offer lithium batteries for quicker recycle and are Canon ETTL II compatible. Two of them are probably about the same price as 2 430s.

Frankly, the list of your gear and ideas suggests that you haven't given this enterprise much serious thought.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links

6,261 views & 25 likes for this thread
First Wedding. Gear?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.