Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 27 Mar 2017 (Monday) 16:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

First Wedding. Gear?

Brandon32s
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Mar 2017
Mar 27, 2017 23:49 as a reply to post 18312906 |  #16

Good to know about the flashes!

This is something that just came up out of the blue. If my budget would allow then I would already own a full frame camera with a few external flashes and have my ranges covered from 16mm to about 200mm in four or five lenses.

The pay is cheap, $200, as I've mentioned before so it's a very low budget hiring. I feel as though it's as good as any wedding to start with.

sponsored links
Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,652 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Mar 27, 2017 23:50 |  #17

We all start somewhere and folks, please remember that a lot of people are just happy to have someone take photos of their special day that they can afford. I did my first wedding in 2002 with a Point & Shoot because my niece only cared about getting a handful of decent photos....she didn't care about high end, fancy stuff. Fortunately, I knew enough about proper lighting and a bit of posing that they came out pretty darn good.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,280 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 8 months ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 28, 2017 00:00 |  #18

Brandon32s wrote in post #18312900 (external link)
I'm shooting it for some friends I go to university with. The pay is very low at 200 dollars. So there isn't a huge amount of pressure although this is something that I want to make turn out fantastic! I'm attending classes right now and my income is pretty minuscule. The amount of gear that I feel substantial for a wedding is far out of my budget. Looking for gear that is the best bang for my buck.

Your opening post should have included this information! There are too many folks doing their 'first wedding' FOR HIRE as if they are veterans who do it professionally, and yet they ask the most basic of questions, leading us to believe they have overcommitted themselves for their level of skill. These days it is all too easy to set up a web page, pay $20 for business cards, and be in instant 'pro'.
I get that you are a college student, and so are your 'clients', and near zero money is involved from fellow student B&G. So having two of everything, like you should have when truly billing your services as a 'professional' is unlikely. Nevertheless, whatever you can do to address these things would be truly a service you provide to your 'clients'

• very good gear familiarity, and
  • ability to think quickly on your feet to solve a range of photographic problems

The idea of renting gear is a good way of getting some equipment redundancy.
I know the realism behind student budgets prevents a lot. So doing things on a shoestring, like planning your wedding, usually comes with a bit less of the idealism. But, whether we shoot weddings as professionals or simply a friend doing a favor, we need to keep in mind that weddings bring people together from far places, and often the people who come are very unlikely to ever have a repeat trip (especially grandma and grandpa) so keep in mind the responsibility that comes with photographing something that might not be able to be re-staged. Best wishes on a professional quality effort.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Brandon32s
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Mar 2017
Mar 28, 2017 00:03 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #19

I apologize for not mentioning it earlier! I understand how it changes everything, haha

I will try to take your advice! Renting gear is something I have looked into. Would love to get my hands on a 5d mark iii to familiarize myself with it.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Mar 28, 2017 00:08 |  #20

Maureen Souza wrote in post #18312910 (external link)
We all start somewhere and folks, please remember that a lot of people are just happy to have someone take photos of their special day that they can afford. I did my first wedding in 2002 with a Point & Shoot because my niece only cared about getting a handful of decent photos....she didn't care about high end, fancy stuff. Fortunately, I knew enough about proper lighting and a bit of posing that they came out pretty darn good.

Maureen,
I appreciate your point about just getting the basics.
The point that I, and I think others are, making is that wedding photography as a business is that, a business.
Someone is paying for a service, they have expectations, there is no way to know what those expectations might be.
It is however, reasonable to expect that they want the best while paying for the least. That seems to be the common service mantra today.

I, and I expect several other contributors, have been shooting wedding professionally for several years.

We, at least I, am encouraging the OP to get as close as possible to a professional approach.

It does none of us a service for someone to ask advice about how to diminish and denigrate our profession just because they want to get into the business as a low cost, low value, low quality competitor. There are too many of those already.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,652 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Mar 28, 2017 22:30 as a reply to dmward's post |  #21

I understand that you do it for a living but please be mindful that not every bride & groom want or can afford what you offer. I do not need to be scolded for having a different viewpoint and while I mainly photograph newborns & babies, I have shot my fair share of weddings and have done a lot of them for FREE (I can see you cringe) because I wanted to. If you see what Brandon is doing as diminishing your work then I think you must be very insecure about your business. Again, not every couple cares about high cost photography on their wedding day for many reasons.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Apr 20, 2017 08:34 |  #22

Well said Maureen. I think that the notion everyone should charge top $ so folk wi pay that amount regardless of who they choose is absurd. When they can't afford it, instead of hiring a newcomer a friend with a camera will do it, and the photos won't be anywhere near as good. Sounds like a loose loose situation as most newcomers will do a reasonable job.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

cubatahavana
I still don't see it
Joined Jan 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Post has been edited 7 months ago by cubatahavana.
Apr 20, 2017 11:29 |  #23

Maureen Souza wrote in post #18313727 (external link)
I understand that you do it for a living but please be mindful that not every bride & groom want or can afford what you offer. I do not need to be scolded for having a different viewpoint and while I mainly photograph newborns & babies, I have shot my fair share of weddings and have done a lot of them for FREE (I can see you cringe) because I wanted to. If you see what Brandon is doing as diminishing your work then I think you must be very insecure about your business. Again, not every couple cares about high cost photography on their wedding day for many reasons.

I'm just starting at the moment shooting weddings. I always tell the couple, that while taking a professional approach, this is my first year of paid wedding photography. I do charge less than what a senior would, but I do so by aplying discounts to my rate, not charging a lower rate. I am intending to charge the full rate when I feel confident with it and when I am more experienced. A lot of couples nowadays do not have the money to hire a senior photographer and make do with people starting up. My last customers were extremely happy with their photographs. Knowing what you can offer is very important. some customers may have overexpectations if they haven't seen your work before.

Ireland is a very small market for wedding photographers, and it is very difficult to work your way in without spending hundreds upon hundreds of euros into advertising companies. Even if you do, most of the bookings go to the most senior photographers, as they are reducing their rates lately. For a newcomer, the only weapon at their disposal is to start low with important discounts and get bookings by word of mouth,

My Flickr (external link)
My website (external link)
My instagram (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Apr 27, 2017 15:21 as a reply to post 18312902 |  #24

Best advice RENT!!!!!!!

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Apr 27, 2017 15:25 |  #25

Brandon32s wrote in post #18312917 (external link)
I apologize for not mentioning it earlier! I understand how it changes everything, haha

I will try to take your advice! Renting gear is something I have looked into. Would love to get my hands on a 5d mark iii to familiarize myself with it.

Shoot with the camera that you are familiar with.. Nothing wrong with shooting with your current camera.. Might be nice to have a back up though:)

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

InnerSong
215 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Left Coast
Jun 08, 2017 15:10 |  #26

sooooooooo howd it go ?

http://yourinnersong.c​omexternal link:: INNERSONG ::external link

majix
Joined Aug 2013
Plano TX
Aug 14, 2017 00:10 |  #27

Brandon32s wrote in post #18312901 (external link)
The 24-70 is a lens that I have been really looking into. If I find one within my budget then I will not hesitate to grab it!

24-70 is too long for crop body ,unless you have second body with wider lens
Sigma 18-35 is better choice

Majid flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
http://www.mjdpic.com (external link)

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,591 posts
Joined Nov 2005
San Diego County, California, USA
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by RPCrowe. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 20, 2017 17:11 |  #28

A few random thoughts...

There "should" always be pressure in shooting a wedding if you are the primary photographer. If you have agreed to shoot someones "once in a lifetime" (we hope) event, you owe it to them to provide a good job; whether or not you are being paid for your work.

Additionally, when I shot weddings, all of my referrals were by word of mouth. I needed to do a good job or no referralsvmad

However, handling groups of people efficiently but, without offending them is a skill that is every bit as important as photographic skills...

If you are shooting with two cameras, it is handy if they are the same model or, at least quite close.

A back up camera/lens is not a backup, unless it is handy to grab if the primary gear goes down...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

6,262 views & 25 likes for this thread
First Wedding. Gear?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.