Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Food Photography Talk
Thread started 28 Mar 2017 (Tuesday) 09:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Shooting 5,000 products

Shawn_BS
Joined Oct 2009
New Jersey
Mar 28, 2017 09:02 |  #1

So I was recently contacted for a job, and the client is looking for 5,000 photos. They run a small grocery store and would like to put all of their products online. I've never shot anything that big before, so any suggestions would be great.

I'm figuring it will be a multi-day shoot, maybe 3 or 4 days?

Would you charge by breaking down cost per photo, or just an overall price?

I have two bodies, Alien Bee lights and a variety of lenses, so my thoughts are to setup two locations to shoot from.

Canon EOS 7D, EOS 80D | Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini (2nd gen.) | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon Speedlite 580EX II, Dedicated flash ST-E2 controller

sponsored links
peeaanuut
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Mar 28, 2017 09:20 |  #2

I charge per photo just in case the scale of the job changes. The upside is that mostly it will be cookie cutter shots so knocking them out rapidly is pretty easy.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/external link : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotosexternal link : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotosexternal link
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,152 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 7 months ago by Wilt. 3 edits done in total.
Mar 28, 2017 10:08 |  #3

Sounds like a tough situation to bid, no matter how you figure it as a Photographer...

• Assuming 1 minute per shot, that's 2500 minutes or 83 hours. Even at a very modest $25/hr, that is $2100 .
  • Assuming you charge by item, even $0.50 per item is $2500

Compare that to 'day rate' pricing often used in commercial photography, those would be bargain prices paid by commercial clients for photography to be used on a web site. TWO WEEKS of commercial photography simply assuming 1 minute average per item shot.

But put $2000-2500 into the Grocery Store management point of view, and the slim margins on most items,
  • how many items would they need to sell to break even on the expense?! A
  • nd how much volume do they really think they would do via web shopping?!
  • So how long would their pay-back period be, before generating net profit from the expense?

...big difference for a chain store vs. a mom-and-pop neighborhood store. Do you have any idea of the client's preconceived notion of cost to have the photography done? You might want to simply sit down with them, explain what you think what the consumed time would be on a day rate vs. a piece rate. They may not realize the magnitude of effort! In fact, YOU may not comprehend the magnitude of effort, and might want to do this little exercise for yourself so you have an idea of what it takes to photograph a variety of items taken from your own pantry shelves...

• Initial setup of lighting and camera and set
  • time to shoot each item (average of 20 items taken from your own pantry shelves), adjusting light as necessary, for good web depiction of product
  • teardown of set, and lighting and camera

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

PhotosGuy
74,826 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Mar 28, 2017 10:18 |  #4

The nice thing about a day rate is that down time that is not your fault doesn't cost you anything. I'd be inclined to charge a day rate & ask them to provide an assistant to bring/remove/setup each shot as you work with the other one.
Don't forget to allow for hand holding time before/during/after the shooting, as well as post-production.
Have you asked them the critical question, "What's your budget"?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

tcphoto1
Joined Sep 2005
Madison, Ga
Mar 28, 2017 13:23 |  #5

I think the question should be, what is their budget? How valuable are the images to the client? Do they want shots of produce, soft goods, private label canned goods? Will you be editing the images? I cannot imagine producing quality images shooting 5000 items in just a few days. Besides, I understand that major producers have artwork available to their vendors. Off the top of my head, I would think about the actual workflow and delivering the images. Would you subcontract someone to process and edit them? I think the volume alone would justify a fee of $1250-$1500 per shooting day and editing at $500-$750 a day. Even though there is minimal Stock value, I would have a defined term of use and leverage that to secure the highest rate possible.

www.tonyclarkphoto.comexternal link
www.tcphoto.orgexternal link

Shawn_BS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2009
New Jersey
Mar 28, 2017 22:00 |  #6

So the client finally got back to me. Here are some more details:

- The shoot is for 5,000 items to be sold in-store, as well as on sites like Amazon. Photos would be used online, as well as possibly in print for flyers.
- Shot on location in the grocery store they own.
- Wants photos of each item to include front, back, side and a zoom in shot of nutrition facts.
- No budget per say, said he is contacting a few local photogs for rates and will go with "best price."
- Wants all photos edited and cropped.
- Would like all shot against white background. Items range in size from 20 lbs. bag of rice to grapes.

Canon EOS 7D, EOS 80D | Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini (2nd gen.) | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon Speedlite 580EX II, Dedicated flash ST-E2 controller

PhotosGuy
74,826 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Post has been edited 7 months ago by PhotosGuy.
Mar 29, 2017 08:45 |  #7

Shawn_BS wrote in post #18313712 (external link)
- No budget per say, said he is contacting a few local photogs for rates and will go with "best price."

RUN AWAY! ; D

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

tcphoto1
Joined Sep 2005
Madison, Ga
Mar 29, 2017 09:13 |  #8

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18313966 (external link)
RUN AWAY! ; D

+1 because they'll post the shoot on craigslist and some hack will lowball, shoot it and it will be a train wreck.

www.tonyclarkphoto.comexternal link
www.tcphoto.orgexternal link

Hannya
Goldmember
1,026 posts
Joined Apr 2008
UK
Post has been edited 7 months ago by Hannya.
Mar 29, 2017 10:30 |  #9

Must be lots of stock shots of rice, grapes etc available for a small amount. That, and an iPhone to do the rest. I would imagine from what's been said the cost of doing this would be way beyond what the chap wants to pay. And none of that so far takes into account downloading, processing, saving for web et. No siree. +1 on RUN AWAY :-)

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sports Picsexternal link

Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
Joined Dec 2013
Detroit, MI
Mar 29, 2017 10:57 as a reply to Hannya's post |  #10

Don't run away- put in a quote for what you would actually be willing to do the work for (if you actually want the job), and hope the other photographers he got quotes from run away.

The description/scope alone will scare off a lot of people- you might be the only one who gives him a price. If he can't pay the price, or offers you less than you want, THEN walk away if you can't come to an agreement.

Giving an actual quote also lets him know what photography costs and time required will be for a project of this scope- something they may not know until someone tells them.

I'd be quoting either a per image cost, or a per day cost at 20 days minimum- that's around 2 minutes per product, so 30 seconds per image at 4 images each, 8 hours a day. If they don't provide a helper/assistant to be moving the products back and forth, the time required goes up.

Support the forums - donate here

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,152 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 7 months ago by Wilt. 6 edits done in total.
Mar 29, 2017 11:15 |  #11

ShawnBS wrote:
- Shot on location in the grocery store they own.
- Wants photos of each item to include front, back, side and a zoom in shot of nutrition facts.
- Would like all shot against white background. .

IOW, you have to set up and take down the shooting set every day including lighting and background (or is there some location in the store where you will be permitted to set up shop for 2-3 weeks?!)
That adds to the time required each day before and after you shoot the products.

And it is not '5000 items' with a single shot of each, you have three sides to shoot AND you have to carefully zoom in very tight to shoot the nutrional facts information, too!
How long do you think THAT will take just to do a single product, it is not merely

A. place a product, B. shoot it, C. remove that product (to back to A)

It is, instead:

1. Place product to shoot side X
  2. shoot it
  3. rotate product to shoot side Y
  4. shoot it
  5. rotate product to shoot side Z
  6. shoot it
  7. rotate product to shoot side W close focus nutritional data
  8. move camera to tightly frame nutruitional info
  9. shoot it
  10. move camera back to starting position
  11. remove product

(go back to step 1...5000 times)

The job is suddenly about 5x-6x in magnitude...four sides, one of them ultra close framing

I would certainly make NO EFFORT to provide this service on the cheap

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Post has been edited 7 months ago by nathancarter.
Mar 29, 2017 15:15 |  #12

Whew, that's a ton of work.

You'll need an assistant who is familiar with the store and the products, otherwise your time investment will triple.

If you have to do it on-site, you'll need a secure location in which to work. Not just a storage closet - you need room to stage everything, set up lights, and maintain a reasonable camera-to-subject distance. A large office or a medium-sized conference room.

One minute per item, five shots per item, will be working really quickly. That'll be exhausting but do-able on packaged goods like cans and boxes.
Soft packages like bags of rice will need several minutes each to stage the product so it looks good to the camera in each of the five shots.
One minute for five quality shots will be absolutely impossible on fresh foods, fruits, prepared foods.

That also doesn't include time spent to process, crop, export, deliver. It's imperative to get it right in camera in order to minimize this effort.
They'll probably want them all renamed too, which is hours more effort. (might be some way to put this in a spreadsheet to automate renaming, not sure).

If you quote them 3-4 days, you're gonna regret it. 3-4 weeks will be closer, but still a full day of hard work every day.

I agree with Wilt's suggestion to pull 20 random items from your kitchen to photograph.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Post has been last edited 7 months ago by ksbal. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 29, 2017 15:40 |  #13

^^^ what these two said.

He'll want it done as all it takes is to 'push the button', probably, unless he's ever had work with a real commercial photographer before.

4 weeks easy for time.. My day job pays more than $2500 in 4 weeks. I wouldn't bid it for less than a dollar per item, and I think that is way too cheap.

Put it this way.. just to review each image, (15,000 of them) at 20 seconds a piece, is ~80 hours. It's going to be 1-5 minutes per item to photograph, on average say 3 minutes x 5000 = 15000 minutes= 250 Hours

we haven't downloaded, copied, backed up or edited a darn thing yet.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Mar 30, 2017 00:23 |  #14

I would suggest including the cost of renting a second camera/macro lens. The first camera is used to shoot the main packaging shots and the second is used to shoot the close up label shot without having to mess about changing lenses or settings on the first camera.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Mar 30, 2017 06:17 |  #15

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18314613 (external link)
I would suggest including the cost of renting a second camera/macro lens. The first camera is used to shoot the main packaging shots and the second is used to shoot the close up label shot without having to mess about changing lenses or settings on the first camera.

If this, which makes good sense, then how best to keep cataloguing and matching the labels to the products? This needs to be a very simple straightforward process or you are either going to lose a lot of time on paperwork while shooting or on trying to tie everything together later.

Would just making sure that the clocks in the two cameras are exactly synchronised be enough? Then everything would automatically be grouped sequentially by time of shot once transferred to computer.

I've no experience to draw on here ... just musing.

Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

sponsored links

3,398 views & 18 likes for this thread
Shooting 5,000 products
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Food Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.