Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 29 Mar 2017 (Wednesday) 10:18
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Lens switches keep turning off.

Martin ­ Dixon
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
Ealing
Mar 29, 2017 10:18 |  #1

My IS and AF switches keep turning off.

I use a cheap shoulder sling/rapid type of camera strap, which is a godsend especially using 70-200 lens - no more sore neck. But there is one down side, the switches on the lens always seem to be knocked to the off position, and this is very annoying!

I am thinking of using gaffer tape to stop this, but I was hoping someone has a better way to prevent switchs being knocked and yet be able to switch if I really do want to.

Thanks!

flickrexternal link Editing OKexternal link

sponsored links
Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
37,898 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 28 days ago by Wilt.
Mar 29, 2017 10:27 |  #2

I just looked at my 70-200 f/4L IS and I find that the switches are so flush with the barrel of the lens that I have to be very deliberate in moving the the switches to any different position...I have to aim my fingernail into the switches to get any bite on them.
I am puzzled why you have a problem in that regard.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

Martin ­ Dixon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
Ealing
Mar 29, 2017 10:38 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #3

I have a canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM where the switches look prety similar to yours, but the AF and IS switches have a (~2mm) raised section where the indicator line is, thus making the swich very vulnerable to being accidentally knocked.

I also tried rotating the tripod mount to ffer some protection, but hasn't had a noticable effect.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Mar 29, 2017 10:56 |  #4

I would put a neoprene sleeve over the barrel of the lens. Doesn't have to be custom made, or even fit very properly. Just any piece of neoprene tubing that will fit over the barrel but not so loosely that it falls off.

Lots of hunting supplies and accessories are made of neoprene (usually camouflage) so you just have to look in the sporting goods department at your local Walmart and you should be able to find something that can be used as a lens sleeve. Three of my lenses have neoprene sleeves on their barrels now, and I can't even remember what the neoprene was taken from.

If for any reason you can't find neoprene, then a real heavy winter sock should keep the strap from being able to catch on the switches. Just cut the sock to the length you need and slide over the barrel of the lens - I have done this plenty of times as a way of adding some extra protection to my 100-400 zoom, which is about the same size as your 70-200mm (assuming you use an f2.8 model).

Tell us about your avatar here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=62390
Wildlife Photographed in the Wild: http://www.tomreichner​.com/Wildlife (external link)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/9036119@N02/ (external link)
Please feel free to send me a PM, or to email me at tomreichner@yahoo.com

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
37,898 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 28 days ago by Wilt. 4 edits done in total.
Mar 29, 2017 10:57 |  #5

I see the problem in a photo on the web (Ken Rockwell), one can readily see the raised wide ridge clearly visible in profile in this photo, that protrude above the level of the surrounding collar...

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/POTN%202013%20Post%20Mar1/70200%20f28_zpstglq7ejx.jpg

On my f/4L IS it is absolutely flat! The engraved line on the switch actually is in a shallow valley between slightly raised parallel narrow lines which form the high point of the switch and which provide zero 'grab' when brushed against anything

As an alternative to neoprene, I would go to a fabric store and get some elastic strip (for the waistband of clothing), cut to right length and then stitch the ends together so the elastic is somewhat stretched when it is on the barrel...or just gaffer tape!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

Martin ­ Dixon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
Ealing
Mar 29, 2017 11:00 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #6

Not a bad idea - just to protect the switches I would need a cut-out for the focus window I have an old wetsuit somewhere!

Nathan
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Boston
Mar 29, 2017 11:03 |  #7

Weird. When I had that lens, I never had the problem. Are your switches loose, by any chance?

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

Martin ­ Dixon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
Ealing
Mar 29, 2017 11:15 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #8

I saw. Perhaps an improved design :)

Martin ­ Dixon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
Ealing
Mar 29, 2017 11:19 as a reply to Nathan's post |  #9

Not loose. I didn't have problem before changing camera strap, I guess it just gently knocks onto my hip. As I said I much prefer this strap.

gjl711
master of the brew-ni-verse.
51,767 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Mar 29, 2017 11:29 |  #10

Gaffers tape sounds like a very viable solution though I am surprised that they switch so easily. I've tried several of my lenses and they are not easy to move at all.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Mar 29, 2017 13:01 |  #11

Martin Dixon wrote in post #18314073 (external link)
Not a bad idea - just to protect the switches I would need a cut-out for the focus window I have an old wetsuit somewhere!

On a couple of my lenses the neoprene sleeve fits rather loosely, so I can still focus without having a window cut out - I just turn the neoprene along with the focus ring.

The neoprene doesn't need to fit snug - just not so loose that it falls off.

Tell us about your avatar here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=62390
Wildlife Photographed in the Wild: http://www.tomreichner​.com/Wildlife (external link)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/9036119@N02/ (external link)
Please feel free to send me a PM, or to email me at tomreichner@yahoo.com

Martin ­ Dixon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
Ealing
Post has been edited 26 days ago by Martin Dixon.
Mar 31, 2017 05:37 |  #12

After attempting a too complicated elastic and neoprene solution I used gaffer tape to attach a strip of neoprene. This allows me to change switches if needed. Fair trudge round with it yesterday and no unexpected switching. Seems still firmly attached. Success!

A transparent alternative to neoprene would be neat.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Echo63
Goldmember
2,837 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Perth - Western Australia - Earth
Mar 31, 2017 06:49 |  #13

I don't think i ever touched the switches on my 70-200
set them once, put a big stripe of 1" gaffa tape over the top and left it
never had any issues.

did the same to my 24-70 and 16-35 too.

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​comexternal link
Gear listhttp://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=2463426&postcou​nt=385

tonylong
...winded
54,571 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Apr 01, 2017 00:07 |  #14

Hmm ... I've had switches go "off" on different occasions. To me, it's just "normal" when shooting to keep my eye on things via the viewfinder, and, sure, the AF/MF switch is there, and I can tell at a glance if it's been nudged, and then I can make the switch if I want to MF a shot! As to the IS switch, well, I do value Image stabilization! I have on occasion noticed that it's not operating, especially when using a tripod, but it's something I notice, and again at a glance I can see if the switch got nudged, whatever, it's just something that I learned early on, you can glance and "correct" things in a heartbeat!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

welshwizard1971
981 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Southampton Hampshire UK
Apr 01, 2017 01:38 |  #15

Velcro straps, instant on and off, always the right fit, adjustable for any lens....

https://www.amazon.com ...11&keywords=velcro+​straps (external link)

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

sponsored links

2,056 views & 7 likes for this thread
Lens switches keep turning off.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.