Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 29 Mar 2017 (Wednesday) 16:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Has anyone visited Chile, Argentina.

Douglas ­ Conway
Joined Aug 2012
Mar 29, 2017 16:43 |  #1

Looking at going later this year. We aren't big trekkers but like to explore. I am in contact with a couple of tour organizers and am looking over what they have to say.

Ybnormel

sponsored links
Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
38,375 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Wilt. 7 edits done in total.
Mar 29, 2017 17:06 |  #2

Torres del Paine National Park (Parque Nacional Torres del Paine) in southern Chile (Patagonia) is gorgeous! You can fly into Punta Arenas near the tip of Chile, and from there get yourself to Puerto Natales, catch small van bus to the park. I rented a car at Punta Arenas, to explore the area, then drove to Puerto Natales and spent the night there, before driving to Torres del Paine.
Here's a video on youtube about the park https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=UIipViEhrsA (external link)

Here are some web shots of Gray Lake off the glacier. The southern end of the lake you can easily drive to and walk a short distance from the parking lot!
https://www.google.com ...w&biw=1789&bih=1083​&dpr=1 (external link)

I don't know if this is still offered, but before leaving the US, I booked a very inexpensive airfare 'package' rate from LAN Chile to fly within Chile during your stay, but you cannot wait to buy tickets while in Chile...consult travel agency, particularly one that specializes in trips to Chile.

I have not spent leisure time within Argentina to recommend something to you, although I have been the multiple times on business.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

Douglas ­ Conway
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2012
Mar 29, 2017 21:04 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #3

What was it like with the rental car. Did you have a hard time finding gas? Did you book your hotels or just stayed in places you found along the way.

Ybnormel

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
38,375 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Wilt. 7 edits done in total.
Mar 29, 2017 21:49 as a reply to Douglas Conway's post |  #4

I had a travel agency about 10 miles from my home develop an itinerary for me. I found them via a lady I worked with, whose husband (a Chilean) used them on more than one trip to Chile.

All the places I stayed in, the cars I rented, the air within Chile...all arranged by the travel agency It was pretty mindless on my part, I only had to drive to the hotels, and that was easy with driving instructions provided to me. I really did not need that structured of an itinerary, but OTOH it meant I spent zero time driving around looking for vacancy signs and then walking into each to find out room rates and to look at a room to decide if I wanted to continue looking. Much more time efficient, and the agency did a superb job of choosing hotels. As I stayed only one or two nights in each city that I stopped in, over the period of three weeks, I saved a tremendous amount of time in searching.

Gas was very easy to find, but then again because distances in Chile are so vast, I was flying to major stops and renting a new car at each one, so I was not buying gas multiple times with a given car.

Hablas algun español? Even a little bit helps. Growing up in CA I didn't realize how much I had simply absorbed, but I did buy a book & tape on South American Spanish before my trip...it is different from Castillian Spanish they teach in schools (where I had studied French and ancient Greek!)

The people were wonderful and I felt absolutely safe everywhere I went as a solo traveller. Hitchhiking is very common out in the countryside, although there is a national bus system, and it was entertaining and enjoyable to meet locals when giving them a ride, even with my rudimentary Spanish skills! Pulling out of the Punta Arenas parking lot in my rental car, a Chilean police officer flagged me down, so as I was stopping I got my passport and rental agreement ready. He merely wanted a ride home! :lol: During my time in Chile I picked up a number of other hitchhikers, and it greatly added to my enjoyment of Chile.

Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

Douglas ­ Conway
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2012
Mar 30, 2017 17:35 |  #5

My spanish is non existent. I will have to work on that. I will share your post with my wife who is not as hot on the idea as I am. Thanks for spending the time to reply.

Ybnormel

tonylong
...winded
54,584 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Apr 01, 2017 09:58 |  #6

Hey, interesting stuff!

I myself grew up in southern California, and so was right across the border from Mexico, had many immigrants in our community, and enjoyed times across in tijuANA and Baha, good times!

the language is a real issue, not just in the Latino/Spanish stuff, and yeah, I grew up surrounded by it alol, but I could never actually speak the language!

Then, as I grew, I turned to German in school and such. A big "lesson" was that to really get by, you need to be fluent in the "conversational language, whether Spanish or European, this is in fact an emphasis in "productive" language schools, and you want to pay attention to that!

Heck, I had friends visit me, they were from Switzerland, and the lady/wife would sit down with me and insist that I talked with her in "conversational German", wow! I made it through until some friends I had in Germany got in touch with me and complained that I was speaking "Swiss German"!

Oh Well, now I don't know how I would even make a beginning in "conversational Spanish! So don't even bother to ask, "Si habla espańol"?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

Capn ­ Jack
Joined Mar 2010
NE USA
Apr 01, 2017 10:19 |  #7

I've been there quite some time ago- some pictures here:
https://www.flickr.com ...57196537/with/43355​07600/ (external link)
Chile towards the end of the series, Argentina in there too. The pictures are geo-tagged so you can see where they were taken.
The mountains looked interesting- I could barely see them, but looked very tall.

They seem to speak Castilian Spanish there, I could understand it compared to the Mexican Spanish, but I'm no expert.

OregonRebel
865 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Vienna, Virginia
Apr 18, 2017 02:52 |  #8

I have used this agency before: http://www.latinameric​aforless.com/argentina​/ (external link)
They did a great job and took care of my (then) teenaged daughter when she arrived before me in Cuzco.

Brian N
7D, Rebel XT, G16, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 15-85 USM IS, Sigma 30 f/1.4, EF-S 60 macro, 85 f/1.8, EF 70-200 f/4L IS , Canon 1.4 TC, 430 EX, 270 EX
Bogen/Manfrotto 3001BPro/484RC2
Some pix at www.flickr.com/photos/​briann/ (external link)

Wilt
38,375 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Wilt.
Apr 18, 2017 10:23 |  #9

Capn Jack wrote in post #18316587 (external link)
They seem to speak Castilian Spanish there, I could understand it compared to the Mexican Spanish, but I'm no expert.

Various terms for things can vary, even while the fundamental language may be in common. In Castilian, cofee with milk is 'café con leche', but 'cafe solo' in parts of SAmerica.

It is like differences in expressions between French in France vs. French in Canada, or differences between English as use in UK vs. English as used in US vs. in Australia...regional colloqualisms get in the way.

sponsored links

1,720 views & 2 likes for this thread
Has anyone visited Chile, Argentina.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.