Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental
Thread started 30 Mar 2017 (Thursday) 08:59
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Hammer and Nails Series

K ­ Soze
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Mar 30, 2017 08:59 |  #1

Here is the complete series as I envisioned it. These are the digital "proofs" my main goal was to shoot on medium format Ilford Pan 50 for a gallery show. The film is yet to be developed. (i know this post is over the limit for images but it was requested as one series by tow members)

IMAGE: http://jimburns.org/img/s5/v116/p2260200646-4.jpg

IMAGE: http://jimburns.org/img/s3/v39/p2260200602-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://jimburns.org/img/s4/v63/p2260200419-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://jimburns.org/img/s10/v115/p2260200418-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://jimburns.org/img/s4/v63/p2260200425-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://jimburns.org/img/s5/v124/p2260200422-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://jimburns.org/img/s5/v129/p2260200420-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://jimburns.org/img/s9/v16/p2260200522-5.jpg

I try to make art by pushing buttons

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
74,881 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Mar 30, 2017 09:04 |  #2

Interesting series!

(i know this post is over the limit for images but it was requested as one series by tow members)

Well, no, it's not since you embedded the images.
FYI, in the "Share" areas IMAGE POSTING RULES specifically state: "Do not use the forum as your image gallery, post only the best of the best and link to the rest."
This means we allow 2 attachments by the OP per thread, OR 8 embedded (linked) images, OR a combination of 2 attachments + 6 embedded (linked) images, totaling 8 per thread. (Maximum 1280 pixels on any side.) You can always just post a link to more, though, or better yet, post a link to a gallery so we don't have to click on each image link.
Some exceptions are group threads, like "Show Me...", "Post your best...", equipment reviews, Tutorials, etc.
You may add a few additional photos if requested, but only in a reply to other member's post and request.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
Joined Sep 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Mar 30, 2017 09:04 |  #3

Very creative and well executed. Great light in all of them. I think my favourite is #7 but all are great.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

K ­ Soze
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Mar 30, 2017 09:13 |  #4

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18314794 (external link)
Interesting series!

Well, no, it's not since you embedded the images.
FYI, in the "Share" areas IMAGE POSTING RULES specifically state: "Do not use the forum as your image gallery, post only the best of the best and link to the rest."
This means we allow 2 attachments by the OP per thread, OR 8 embedded (linked) images, OR a combination of 2 attachments + 6 embedded (linked) images, totaling 8 per thread. (Maximum 1280 pixels on any side.) You can always just post a link to more, though, or better yet, post a link to a gallery so we don't have to click on each image link.
Some exceptions are group threads, like "Show Me...", "Post your best...", equipment reviews, Tutorials, etc.
You may add a few additional photos if requested, but only in a reply to other member's post and request.

Ok so I am just at the limit of 8 imbedded and it's all ok? I am trying to play by the rules.

I can post a link, I have my own site, I just know a lot of members complain about that.

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
Joined Sep 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Mar 30, 2017 10:47 as a reply to K Soze's post |  #5

Yes, 8 embedded is the limit and it's all ok.

However, if you have more photos in this series I'd be very interested in seeing them here. My request means that you can post a few more if you like.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,291 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Mar 30, 2017 11:44 |  #6

A wonderful series! Image #2, new to me, is especially expressive. The poor little nail . . .

Now a couple of carps. #1 has the target nail almost perfectly aligned with a nail in front of it. This is misleading. At first I couldn't tell what the hammer was trying to do.

I would reverse the order of #s 5 and 6. 6 is more introductory; it suggests setting up for the trip. In 5, they're clearly traveling. The implication of movement is evident, and the course has come to an uphill segment.

I still think an image at the end, one that says "Mission accomplished," would close the story nicely.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

K ­ Soze
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Mar 30, 2017 12:03 as a reply to OhLook's post |  #7

Hmm. I see all good points.

I am not thrilled with image one. I should soot it with an UWA to make the hammer more menacing. I was rushed a little at the end.

I did not plan on shooting number two with that nail or with the silhouette of the hammer but it came to me while setting up. I think it works much better than my original idea.

Ya ok I can switch 5&6

Not sure how to end it. If I did add a shot at the end I would drop shot #1. People know enough about the hammer and nail relationship where shot #2 should be a good enough entrance to the story.

mrmerick
Joined Nov 2004
Lake Tahoe
Mar 30, 2017 12:16 |  #8

Very cool! I like them a lot.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,291 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Mar 30, 2017 16:02 |  #9

K Soze wrote in post #18314938 (external link)
Hmm. I see all good points.

Thanks . . .

Not sure how to end it. If I did add a shot at the end I would drop shot #1. People know enough about the hammer and nail relationship where shot #2 should be a good enough entrance to the story.

I like #1 as a scene setter, except for that accidental convergence of two nails. As it is, #1 shows what the hammer does routinely. (In reality, though, the nails would be farther apart and some would be hammered down already.) #2 shows that the hammer got particularly brutal this time. One nail was seriously mutilated. Presumably that was the last straw for its colleagues. If you start with 2, you lose the sense of a chronic and accumulating threat to the nails. Things have been bad for them for a long time, and it's getting worse.

If nine images are allowed (maybe there are rules I don't know), my opinion is: keep #1 and add #9. The nails could put the hammer in jail. Here are quick sketches for two ways:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
^ With a flatter box or a box that opens at an end, the nails could push the hammer in.

HOSTED PHOTO
^ Bubble wrap and string were handy. Wire screen and the twine you used elsewhere would be better. The material needn't be see-through if it's wrapped tightly enough to reveal the shape of the hammer. Maybe burlap to fit the overall color scheme.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

K ­ Soze
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Post has been edited 8 months ago by K Soze.
Mar 30, 2017 17:40 |  #10

Thanks for the in put.

My intent of #1 was to have the small nails look like kids and the big nail is trying to rush them away from the beast. I have a few versions of this shot. I was careful with the nail convergence most of the time I am sure i have one with out that issue. If not easy enough to PS in post.

I came up with a happy ending. (no guys, not like that) I plan on tuning the hammer into a useful thing for the nails. I will work on it soon. Then I am done. I am not sure a happy ending or conclusion is the right thing for the series but before the scene gets struck at my studio its worth shooting incase I want it later

BTW you pronoun warning makes me chuckle every time I see it.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
10,967 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Inland Empire, So. Cal
Post has been edited 8 months ago by navydoc.
Mar 30, 2017 18:21 |  #11

Well executed. When I first saw your photo series, I was reminded of the nation of Lilliput in "Gulliver's Travels" by Johnathan Swift.

Gene - My Photo Gallery ||external link My USS Oriskany websiteexternal link || My Flickrexternal link
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

K ­ Soze
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Mar 30, 2017 18:24 |  #12

navydoc wrote in post #18315206 (external link)
When I first saw your photo series, I was reminded of the nation of Lilliput in "Gulilver's Travels" by Johnathan Swift.

That for sure was the inspiration for the tied down hammer. I built the story in both directions form that image.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,291 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Mar 30, 2017 18:41 |  #13

K Soze wrote in post #18315185 (external link)
My intent of #1 was to have the small nails look like kids and the big nail is trying to rush them away from the beast.

Then I missed the point (ha ha) in #1 entirely. It's hard to do because nails don't have arms and hands. I didn't expect anything so complex. In another thread, you said #1 showed a hammer doing what hammers do, so I only thought of driving nails.

Looking forward to your happy ending.

K ­ Soze
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Mar 31, 2017 14:02 |  #14

OK,

How is this for the ending? And again, does it need a different ending from liberating friends.

I can only have 8 for the gallery show. How about eliminating #4?

HOSTED PHOTO

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,291 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Mar 31, 2017 16:06 |  #15

K Soze wrote in post #18315926 (external link)
OK,

How is this for the ending? And again, does it need a different ending from liberating friends.

I can only have 8 for the gallery show. How about eliminating #4?
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by K Soze in
./showthread.php?p=183​15926&i=i173066595
forum: Still Life, B/W & Experimental

That's a cute ending. I believe something like this is needed for a satisfying close. If they let the hammer go free, it can menace them again. Repurposing the hammer makes for a true success.

Have you thought about adding a few nails of different heights standing around in the "playground"? Overcoming the hammer was a community effort. It seems like more nails should be here to show solidarity and enjoy the fruits of their labors.

Yes, IMO #4 is the most expendable.

sponsored links

3,126 views & 34 likes for this thread
Hammer and Nails Series
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.