Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 02 Apr 2017 (Sunday) 19:47
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

DOF and obliterated backgrounds

iowajim
Joined Mar 2011
North Central Iowa
Apr 02, 2017 19:47 |  #1

Is there a way to know when we'd have a grossly out of focus background for a given condition? For instance, if I have a DOF of 2 feet, will the background be obliterated at 4 feet behind the subject? 6 feet?

By obliterated, I'm referring to a background that is obscured to eliminate distracting elements in a portrait situation. I realize that this is subjective.

I'm guessing above that there might be a rule of thumb regarding this.

Jim, in Iowa
80D / T2i / Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 / Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 / Canon 24-105 f4 / Tamron SP VC 70-200mm f2.8 / Sigma 150-600mm C

sponsored links
sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Dec 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Apr 02, 2017 19:59 |  #2

There are tables that will give you a distance guideline, but as you say much of it can be subjective.

In some of my own portrait work I've created really shallow depth of fields which have tremendously isolated the background, and then I regretted it. The background was so OOF that much environmental context was lost. I slightly greater DOF would have given more visual information of the environment without really pulling your eye away sufficiently. Yes, much can be subjective depending upon the end result you want.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITEexternal link- MY GALLERIESexternal link- MY BLOGexternal link
Artists Archives of the Western Reserveexternal link - Board

PhotosGuy
74,510 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Apr 02, 2017 20:19 |  #3

You should run your own tests as there are a lot of variables, but this will help: DOFMaster Depth of Field Calculator (external link) with apps for iphone, ipod, palm, android, windoze...

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
5,728 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Apr 02, 2017 21:24 |  #4

I use this on my phone: https://play.google.co​m ...=com.aimenrg.dofpro​&hl=en (external link)

Simple to use. Works in any units you want. Stores 3 different cameras. Makes using a manual focus UWA a breeze.

Tom

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Apr 02, 2017 21:49 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #5

Jim, important considerations are: how close do you plan to be your subject and what focal length will you be using? Both of those factors will cause a tremendous amount of variation in what you are trying to do.

GEAR LIST

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
38,810 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Apr 02, 2017 23:31 |  #6

There is a graphing program that allows you to specify FL and shooting aperture, then the curve shows how blurry at various distances behind the main plane of focus.

http://asklens.com ...f2-on-a-0.9m-wide-subject (external link)

with the preloaded examples (which you can modify) the graph shows 135mm f/2 has more blur than other lens+aperture, but only beyond 3m behind the subject plane.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
9,651 posts
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Apr 03, 2017 21:24 |  #7

sapearl wrote in post #18317913 (external link)
There are tables that will give you a distance guideline, but as you say much of it can be subjective.

In some of my own portrait work I've created really shallow depth of fields which have tremendously isolated the background, and then I regretted it. The background was so OOF that much environmental context was lost. I slightly greater DOF would have given more visual information of the environment without really pulling your eye away sufficiently. Yes, much can be subjective depending upon the end result you want.

This. I bought into the obsession over shallow DOF and bokeh for a little while... much happier with my images now that I'm over it.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Apr 04, 2017 10:10 |  #8

Experience.

Distance from camera to subject, distance from subject to background.

I use approximately the same gear and camera settings for most portraits, so if I want to change the background blur, I move myself and my subject.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Apr 04, 2017 10:53 |  #9

nathancarter wrote in post #18319198 (external link)
Experience.

Distance from camera to subject, distance from subject to background.

I use approximately the same gear and camera settings for most portraits, so if I want to change the background blur, I move myself and my subject.

Words to live by ;-)a

GEAR LIST

ManiZ
Joined Sep 2009
Mile High City
Apr 04, 2017 14:54 |  #10

Why not take a test shot and examine it on the LCD? Change the aperture and make relative compensations for light until you're happy.

5D4 Gripped | 16-35 f4L IS | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L II IS | 85 f1.8 | 600EX-RT | 430EXII | YN-468II | YN-622c | 'Stuff'

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Apr 04, 2017 15:24 |  #11

Here's an example of what I meant by aesthetics and context.

Not too long ago I did a shoot for our local NPR station right before Diane Rehm retired. Here's a typical stage portrait from that event, shot with my trusty 24 - 105 at f/4 and 105mm, with the focus point on Diane's hands. The moderator in back is clearly OOF, but sharp enough to show his reaction to what she had said. I used no Post to blur him and I only sharpened Diane slightly.

In this particular case at that distance, f/4 worked perfectly for my needs. Of course the lens only is an f/4 so I didn't have a whole lot of choice. But it still worked very well for how I envisioned the final product.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

GEAR LIST

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Apr 04, 2017 15:45 |  #12

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18318822 (external link)
This. I bought into the obsession over shallow DOF and bokeh for a little while... much happier with my images now that I'm over it.

Precisely.

I'm glad I never bought into this.

'........let's see if I can whittle this DOF down to about 10 thousanths.....it'll be great....' :rolleyes:

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
12,369 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Apr 04, 2017 17:16 |  #13

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18318822 (external link)

Congratulations on your successful recovery.

iowajim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2011
North Central Iowa
Apr 04, 2017 20:01 |  #14

Thanks for all the input! In my situation, I'm contemplating a large aperture lens for the occasional portrait shoot, and I wanted to know what was going to give me the desired effect before I dropped the cash. The link that Wilt shared showed me that there is no simple rule of thumb for this, and that for the standard focal lengths, the desired effect will be difficult to achieve, particularly on a crop in a home studio.

If I'm outside, I'll pull out the 70-200 and set the background for the appropriate level of blur.

So at least I know what I'm up against, and what to expect.

Jim, in Iowa
80D / T2i / Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 / Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 / Canon 24-105 f4 / Tamron SP VC 70-200mm f2.8 / Sigma 150-600mm C

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
38,810 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 4 months ago by Wilt.
Apr 04, 2017 22:01 |  #15

iowajim wrote in post #18319683 (external link)
Thanks for all the input! In my situation, I'm contemplating a large aperture lens for the occasional portrait shoot, and I wanted to know what was going to give me the desired effect before I dropped the cash. The link that Wilt shared showed me that there is no simple rule of thumb for this, and that for the standard focal lengths, the desired effect will be difficult to achieve, particularly on a crop in a home studio.

If I'm outside, I'll pull out the 70-200 and set the background for the appropriate level of blur.

So at least I know what I'm up against, and what to expect.

Looks like the 85mm f/1.2 would be the best selection for head and shoulders portraiture with most background blur, regardless of (reasonable) background distance

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/POTN%202013%20Post%20Mar1/headandshoulders_zpsqwtwkaji.jpg

..even out at 10km, the 135mm f/2 is the second runner-up

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

5,389 views & 18 likes for this thread
DOF and obliterated backgrounds
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.