Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk
Thread started 02 Apr 2017 (Sunday) 20:09
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Share your habitat improvements and projects for Wildlife

Brutejman
21 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 29, 2017 15:11 |  #31

Luckily caught them early before they girdled the whole tree which likely ends up killing it.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Brutejman
21 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 29, 2017 15:13 |  #32

2 year plums from last winter. The black plastic is a life saver and really makes them pop.

HOSTED PHOTO

Brutejman
21 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 29, 2017 15:16 |  #33

Borrowed a tree planter last spring. Sure was a life saver!

HOSTED PHOTO

Brutejman
21 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 29, 2017 15:18 |  #34

The deer and other critters eat pretty good on our place.

HOSTED PHOTO

Grizz1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Northeast Missouri
Aug 29, 2017 20:35 |  #35

Brutejman wrote in post #18440201 (external link)
The deer and other critters eat pretty good on our place.

Brutejman, you make me look like a beginner. Nice pics of your very hard work, well done. Now you should pm me the coordinates of the tower stand so I could help you watch over that alfalfa and clover during Oct and Nov. :-P

Steve
2 Canon 60D's, 70D 18-135,-55-250, Sigma 150-500 OS,Sigma 50mm 1.4 ,Sigma 120-300 Sport,Sigma 10-20. 580EXII

Brutejman
21 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 31, 2017 08:44 as a reply to Grizz1's post |  #36

Thanks! Definitely a labor of love! Just a state over to the NW from you :)

spitfirejd
Goldmember
1,442 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Delaware.
Sep 17, 2017 10:45 |  #37

Interesting thread. We recently moved to Delaware into a new house that was built on reclaimed farmland, therefor there are 0 trees on the lot. The builder made an attempt to plant a few small garden areas, but I hate almost all of their plant choices. Since I have a pretty much blank canvas, I want to use native plants and setup a habitat, mostly for birds which I like to photograph. As I know absolutely nothing about plants and have pretty much a brown thumb (and bad back) it needs to be mostly maintenance free. A little weeding and watering is about the extent of my abilities. My plan is get with the local extension office to get the names of a couple of local master gardeners and see if one of them can come up with a comprehensive master plan that I can implement in stages as I get the time and money. I need everything from shade trees to plants plus a water feature and a bit of hardscaping so there is plenty to do. The heavy stuff I'll contract out but can handle a little light planting myself.

JD
A bunch of Canon stuff. Wife says too much, I say not enough!

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011
Virginia
Sep 17, 2017 18:58 |  #38

spitfirejd wrote in post #18454170 (external link)
Interesting thread. We recently moved to Delaware into a new house that was built on reclaimed farmland, therefor there are 0 trees on the lot. The builder made an attempt to plant a few small garden areas, but I hate almost all of their plant choices. Since I have a pretty much blank canvas, I want to use native plants and setup a habitat, mostly for birds which I like to photograph. As I know absolutely nothing about plants and have pretty much a brown thumb (and bad back) it needs to be mostly maintenance free. A little weeding and watering is about the extent of my abilities. My plan is get with the local extension office to get the names of a couple of local master gardeners and see if one of them can come up with a comprehensive master plan that I can implement in stages as I get the time and money. I need everything from shade trees to plants plus a water feature and a bit of hardscaping so there is plenty to do. The heavy stuff I'll contract out but can handle a little light planting myself.

Sounds like a good plan. Add some Serviceberry (aka Juneberry) trees/shrubs to your list. Songsbirds love them and I understand they make good jam. I'd like to have a few for my yard.

flickr (external link)

Grizz1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Northeast Missouri
Sep 17, 2017 23:00 |  #39

JD, the extension center is a good place to start, share your ideas with them just as you have here and see where it leads. Too many miles separate us for me to make any suggestions or I would do just that. Once established native plants should thrive with low maintenance, keeping the invasive non-native plants in check may be where the most work is involved.
I have a small parcel of land, 3 acres, that I removed from row crop farming and it became a sod field in two years without sowing a seed. There are few native plants on it but the clover and grasses that did grow were of a desirable kind and sought after by deer so I did not spend any money to replace it. This last spring I burned the field and have seen a few native plants begin to come up. I plan to add some native seed to it this coming spring following another burn and hope that it does well with very little investment.
It is amazing how land will quickly heal itself, many times weeds will be the first to show up and we get discouraged but the wildlife will make good use of them, it is the second and third years that show big improvements. Best of luck in reaching your goals and enjoying the wildlife and photography.

Steve
2 Canon 60D's, 70D 18-135,-55-250, Sigma 150-500 OS,Sigma 50mm 1.4 ,Sigma 120-300 Sport,Sigma 10-20. 580EXII

spitfirejd
Goldmember
1,442 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Delaware.
Sep 18, 2017 13:14 |  #40

Thanks Larry and Steve. The extension office where we lived before in Va helped me with getting rid of some weeds and such so when I ran into someone from the local office setup at a home show, I grabbed their pamphlet. We just have a lot going on right now so I'll probably look at getting in touch with them in the early spring.

JD
A bunch of Canon stuff. Wife says too much, I say not enough!

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
Joined May 2007
Tallgrass prairies of northwest Minnesota
Sep 20, 2017 06:00 |  #41

As a trained Missouri Master Naturalist I've worked on a lot of conservation and educational projects. One of my favorite is when we burned prairies to keep them healthy and vibrant.

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8213/29112456954_f51f03bcc1_b.jpg

Returning back to the "scene of the crime" so to speak, I was amazed at the devastation, as well as how quickly everything grew back as abundantly as it was beforehand. The prairies are burned to keep shrubs, trees and woody plants in check and to help seeds germinate and the prairie flourish by the addition of the nutrients from the ashes.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/128037573@N07/ (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

sponsored links

3,106 views & 33 likes for this thread
Share your habitat improvements and projects for Wildlife
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.