Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases
Thread started 03 Apr 2017 (Monday) 15:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Walkaround solutions (not lens related)?

Coppatop85
Goldmember
1,900 posts
Joined May 2007
Apr 03, 2017 15:48 |  #1

Hi everyone,

I'm going to Italy in a few weeks, and I intend to be on my feet all day taking photos. Here's my issues though: In past trips, walking around all day with a camera on your neck gets tiring, and also, the thing bounces around like crazy. I do have a backpack, but I don't want to keep taking it off and putting it on to get my camera out.

Is there anything like a harness or strap system that lets the camera / lens rest a bit differently, so that it is easier to walk around all day with it, and still have the camera be easily accessible?

Thanks so much for your input!

5D3, lenses, tripod, and a flash.
Wobsite: www.coppatopphotos.comexternal link

sponsored links
happy2010
Looking for the light first
540 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by happy2010. 6 edits done in total.
Apr 03, 2017 17:05 |  #2

Perhaps not exactly what you are looking for, but a very viable solution that works well for both men & women…

Lowepro PASSPORT SLING III [Mfr # LP36657]:
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...port_sling_iii_blac​k.html (external link)
(bags are such a subjective & personal choice, but after a lot of years & bag iterations, this is my casual-travel choice which has seen a lot of miles/kilometers, by foot, train, vehicle & air - both domestic & abroad)
-easy to access camera, or just rest your camera on top of the bag
-handy, for when backpacks are prohibited at some tourist sites (such as some museums), etc.
-the economical price is right too!

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=d90NWhuLffc (external link) (1:57 minute video)
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=VttN-cOzW6E (external link) (4:51 minute video)
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=5_4REaFKF2M (external link) (3:57 minute video)
for example of capacity: https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=2weitp63ly0 (external link) (9:45 minute video)

Or, perhaps a lighter-weight camera is in your future, for travelling.
(hmmm… maybe your body is indicating to you: not to be a slave to your assets/photography).
Less is often more - enjoy the journey.

Just one view…
Have fun & happy travels to you!

Mary

MARY

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Apr 03, 2017 20:53 |  #3

Heya,

I use two things.

1. Rifle sling style strap. Takes it off your "neck."

2. Backpack that opens from the inside, like the fast-backs from Lowepro, you simply turn the back while wearing it, unzip, get in there, zip it up, turn it back. It never gets taken off.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

PhotosGuy
74,272 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Apr 03, 2017 21:32 |  #4

I just hang mine from one shoulder. (Watch out for the grab & run guys!) ; )

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

5280Pics
Goldmember
1,579 posts
Joined Feb 2010
A Mile High
Apr 03, 2017 22:43 |  #5

Spider holster is my go to set up. lays on your hip, and takes all pressure off your neck/shoulders. It locks with a flip of a switch, so you don't have to worry too much about it being snatched.

MatthewK
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
Post has been edited 2 months ago by MatthewK.
Apr 04, 2017 05:03 |  #6

MalVeauX wrote in post #18318800 (external link)
Heya,

I use two things.

1. Rifle sling style strap. Takes it off your "neck."

2. Backpack that opens from the inside, like the fast-backs from Lowepro, you simply turn the back while wearing it, unzip, get in there, zip it up, turn it back. It never gets taken off.

Very best,

#1 for sure. Basically, just stick one arm through and loop the end over your neck. What do you call that: shoulder sling? Whatever the case, it allows you to hang the camera to your side when you want to free up your frontside. Definitely check out the Peak Designs SL2 strap. Life changing.

As for bag, I wholly recommend a sling type for travel. I used the Tamrac Velocity 8x for travel for years (to Italy once, actually). Very easy to sling it around, open top, change lens, sling back. I don't believe the Velocity is available anymore, unfortunately, but a more modern option is the ThinkTank TurnStyle 20. Very light weight, but if you're away from base for too long the lack of space to carry other essentials begins to wear on you.

Last time I did some urban travel I converted from the sling-style bag to a backpack. It's definitely cumbersome having to unsling it to switch lenses, but I also appreciate the extra bit of storage for phone, wallet, light jacket, water bottle, sunglasses, etc. I went with the ThinkTank Trifecta 10. The Thule Aspect is good for this too (which I also have, for sale no less :-) )

flickrexternal link

NateD
Joined Mar 2015
Tucson, AZ
Apr 04, 2017 08:48 |  #7

5280Pics wrote in post #18318869 (external link)
Spider holster is my go to set up. lays on your hip, and takes all pressure off your neck/shoulders. It locks with a flip of a switch, so you don't have to worry too much about it being snatched.

+1 for the SpiderPro!

Just trying to be better than I was yesterday.

mlbsport
37 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Apr 10, 2017 21:47 |  #8

I used peak design strap for my eurotrip and it was very convenient!

ErgoSpacePig
Joined Apr 2010
St Louis, Mo
Apr 11, 2017 09:57 |  #9

I use the Luma Cinch, it is the original over the shoulder cinch strap for cameras and has served me well. it can be attached to your camera the same as your normal strap at two points and allows you to pull up the slack so it does not move around when you walk. wearing it over you shoulder is very comfortable and does not pull on your neck like a traditional strap will. the Peak design came out a few years after Luma and is very similar except that the strap is not neoprene but i have a few friends that own it and are very pleased with its comfort. there several sling straps out there and most of them attach at a single point (tripod mount) but these tend to swing around when you are walking.

https://luma-labs.com/products/cinc​h-2 (external link)

Cotton Carrier makes a harness that goes over both shoulders that will secure your camera well enough for you to go jogging but may be too much for walking around the town.

bob

5D III | 5Dsr | TS-E 24 f/3.5L II | EF 35 f/1.4L USM | EF 135 f/2L USM | EF 85 f/1.2L II USM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Rokinon 14 f/2.8 | Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 ZE
Speedlite 580EX II | Flash Point Streaklight 360 TTL | Feisol CT 3441T | Photo Clam PC-40NS | Domke F4AF pro | Click Elite Escape | Think Tank Airport Takeoff
Flickr (external link)

armyslowrdr
Joined Dec 2012
Apr 21, 2017 11:49 |  #10

I like the Think Tank speedbelt and harness with a few pouches solution. Camera basically hangs from a sternum strap---much better then around neck.

6D,70D, 3Ti, Original Rebel, G7XMkII, Tamron 150-600, Tamron 15-30, Canon 400 F5.6L, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX DG, Tamron 200-500 F5-6.3, Canon 35 F2, Canon 50 F1.8, Canon EF100 F2.8 USM, Tamron SP 85 F2.8, Tamron SP 10-24 F3.5-4.5, Tamron 28-75 F2.8. Rokinon 12 F2.8. Sirui and Manfrotto tripod and monopod. Canon 600EX-RT, 430EXII, MR 14-EX. Tamrac and Peak Design bags.
Flickr (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Apr 21, 2017 12:03 |  #11

Really, in Italy, you should not have your camera in view unless you are taking pictures. Stuff it into an inconspicuous bag that is easily accessible, and get the camera out as necessary.

Hasselblad 500 C/M with 80mm/2.8 Zeiss Planar; Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
Stamp out unnecessary question marks! (external link)
Picture editing OK

dave_bass5
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2005
London, centre of the universe
Apr 24, 2017 10:31 |  #12

Would just a normal messenger style bag be the answer? Something top loading that you can also have on the side of your body to keep things in check.
Ive always used this type of bag as i dont like having my camera out all the time, but dont like the inconvenience of a back pack.

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon 80D | Canon 650D | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

Coppatop85
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,900 posts
Joined May 2007
Apr 25, 2017 16:52 |  #13

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I went with one of the Peak Design Capture clips, along with a Peak Design slide camera strap. It was super convenient, and exactly what I needed. The Peak Design capture clip was super helpful in securing the camera to me so that it wouldn't get stolen, and didn't bobble around when I walked.

5D3, lenses, tripod, and a flash.
Wobsite: www.coppatopphotos.comexternal link

sponsored links

953 views & 2 likes for this thread
Walkaround solutions (not lens related)?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.