Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 03 Apr 2017 (Monday) 21:34
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What could be corrupting my image files ???

BuckSkin
211 posts
Joined Nov 2014
Apr 03, 2017 21:34 |  #1

Were it not for my file synchronization program, Synchredible, I may have never been made aware of this situation; however, the synchronization process scans through the entire image collection and copies any differences in content from the source drive to the back-up drive and provides a notification of any problems.

The affected files, sometimes only a single file and sometimes a dozen or more, more often PSD files, but occasionally jpegs, will hang any program that tries to open them; the little blue circle will go round and round until either the program freezes or else a warning dialogue pops up with an option to abort.
The problem has been with mostly PSD and the occasional jpeg; thus far, I have not found any RAW files that have been affected.

Any attempt to copy an affected file to a different location, sort of as a quarantine until I can get this figured out will result in this :

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Looking at the list of files in the folder, there is nothing that appears amiss; the affected files "Properties" yields no clue that anything is wrong.

Photoshop Elements, the program that created the files, cannot open them and instead yields a similar notice as that posted above.

I cannot copy over these corrupted files (save over/write over); but, thank goodness, I can at least delete them.

Just to be clear, I am not having an epidemic of corrupted image files; in a collection of 50,000-plus files, the synchronization process may find between one and a dozen that are as described; and, once the process has found and I have removed, the affected files, it never finds problems in that batch again; so, that leads me to think that the synchronization process is not the guilty dog in this.

Have any of you experienced a similar situation where you have found image files that are so corrupted as to be unmanageable ?

What are the likely suspects that could be damaging these image files; could they be getting corrupted during the "Save As" process ?

Thanks for reading.

sponsored links
110yd
755 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Apr 03, 2017 23:59 |  #2

How old is the hard drive? Ever run software to check the drive for errors?
Might want to try something like Crystal Disk

Regards,

110yd

BuckSkin
THREAD ­ STARTER
211 posts
Joined Nov 2014
Apr 04, 2017 02:21 |  #3

110yd wrote in post #18318896 (external link)
How old is the hard drive? Ever run software to check the drive for errors?
Might want to try something like Crystal Disk

Regards,

110yd

Thanks for the idea !

The drive is a 1TB Transcend StoreJet external that is around two years old and has always been in the same location (as in not being jostled around from one place to another).
I have been led to believe that the actual drive contained within is a Seagate 1 TB 2.5-Inch SATA III 5400 RPM 8MB Cache Notebook Hard Drive (ST1000LM024).

No, I haven't checked for errors, but I will do that probably today.

Thus far, I have been deleting these problem files, as they just seem to lock everything up when trying to do anything else with them; just out of curiousity, I wonder if these files might be rescue-able ?

MikeJohnson
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Feb 2017
New York
Apr 04, 2017 09:53 |  #4

Virus can cause this type of problems too.
I would recommend you to install MalwareBytes (external link) (free version no need to purchase) and scan your laptop for virus.

110yd
755 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Apr 04, 2017 10:10 as a reply to BuckSkin's post |  #5

Crystal Disk will at least give you a tool to see the Health status of the disk. It is the first tool
I reach for when trying to diagnose this type of problem. I have had new hard drives with 5 year
warranties fail, in under a year.

Good luck,

110yd

tim
Light Bringer
50,861 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Post has been edited 7 months ago by tim.
Apr 04, 2017 17:54 |  #6

I had something similar. The problem was bad RAM. memtest x86 didn't find the problem, but HCI Memtest (external link) did. Run both, give them both at least 12 hours - HCI only found my RAM problem after running around 14 hours.

The range of problem is large. It could be a bad disk, a bad CPU, a bad cable, and probably other things too.

You're lucky this mirroring program didn't just copy the corruption to the backup disk - you can't be sure that it hasn't in some cases. This is why using proper backup software with an incremental backup feature is essential if you want to be sure your data is well protected. This data has to be kept offsite and offline, ie not only in your house, not only in cloud backup, etc. A hard disk at work or a friends house is ideal.

Some online backup systems provide incremental backups. However it's theoretically possible for a virus or cryptoware to deliberately delete your online backups. Incremental, offline.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

BuckSkin
THREAD ­ STARTER
211 posts
Joined Nov 2014
Apr 05, 2017 03:40 |  #7

110yd wrote in post #18319197 (external link)
Crystal Disk will at least give you a tool to see the Health status of the disk. It is the first tool
I reach for when trying to diagnose this type of problem. I have had new hard drives with 5 year
warranties fail, in under a year.

Good luck,

110yd

Thanks, everyone !
Is this the Crystal Disk you are referring to; and, if so, the choices are somewhat confusing to me, for 64-bit Win 7 Pro which of the downloads is the one I want ?

http://crystalmark.inf​o/download/index-e.html (external link)

I do have the free version of Malwarebytes and thus far it always has given a clean bill of health.

110yd
755 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Apr 05, 2017 10:51 as a reply to BuckSkin's post |  #8

Yes that is the version that I currently run.
Standard edition-CrystalDiskInfo 7.0.5

Regards,

110yd

BuckSkin
THREAD ­ STARTER
211 posts
Joined Nov 2014
Apr 06, 2017 04:44 |  #9

110yd wrote in post #18320155 (external link)
Yes that is the version that I currently run.
Standard edition-CrystalDiskInfo 7.0.5

Regards,

110yd

Thanks !

tim
Light Bringer
50,861 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Apr 06, 2017 13:59 |  #10

Have you done the two overnight RAM tests I suggested? They're as likely as a bad disk, maybe moreso.

With HCI memtest it only tests 2GB of RAM, so you need to run multiple instances. eg if you have 16GB of RAM, and 1.5GB of RAM is taken by the OS you have 14.5GB of RAM you can test. 14.5 / 2GB = 7 @ 2GB and 1 @ 0.5GB.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

BuckSkin
THREAD ­ STARTER
211 posts
Joined Nov 2014
Apr 06, 2017 23:51 |  #11

tim wrote in post #18321293 (external link)
Have you done the two overnight RAM tests I suggested? They're as likely as a bad disk, maybe moreso.

With HCI memtest it only tests 2GB of RAM, so you need to run multiple instances. eg if you have 16GB of RAM, and 1.5GB of RAM is taken by the OS you have 14.5GB of RAM you can test. 14.5 / 2GB = 7 @ 2GB and 1 @ 0.5GB.

Thanks !
Due to some unforeseen circumstances on another machine I haven't yet had a chance to test the RAM; I have 8-GB.

The problem files have thus far only been on the one external drive, and very few of them at that.

If it were memory problem, would it confine itself to the one drive ?

tim
Light Bringer
50,861 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Apr 07, 2017 00:57 |  #12

BuckSkin wrote in post #18321693 (external link)
Thanks !
Due to some unforeseen circumstances on another machine I haven't yet had a chance to test the RAM; I have 8-GB.

The problem files have thus far only been on the one external drive, and very few of them at that.

If it were memory problem, would it confine itself to the one drive ?

It's possible, but unlikely. Since memory testing is relatively easy and free it's worth doing.

BuckSkin
THREAD ­ STARTER
211 posts
Joined Nov 2014
May 18, 2017 11:39 |  #13

I got hung up in some other projects and figured I should provide an update to this situation.

All evidence pointed toward the external hard-drive in question having some issue or other that was causing the problem.

I made certain everything was indeed backed up to another source and wiped the drive clean, then re-formatted, re-installed the data, and started over.

All was good for a few days and then it got worse than it was before.

So, I put it out to pasture and started using a different drive and no more problems so far.

I have made one executive decision; all external hard-drive purchases in our future will be separate hard-drive enclosures with their own power supply and removable 3.5" hard-drives.

I believe 95% of the reason for the little molded-case external drives not living as long as they should is due to them being starved for electrical power and thus always being overheated.

Thanks for reading.

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2010
May 18, 2017 17:38 |  #14
banned

BuckSkin wrote in post #18318935 (external link)
Thanks for the idea !

The drive is a 1TB Transcend StoreJet external that is around two years old and has always been in the same location (as in not being jostled around from one place to another).
I have been led to believe that the actual drive contained within is a Seagate 1 TB 2.5-Inch SATA III 5400 RPM 8MB Cache Notebook Hard Drive (ST1000LM024).

No, I haven't checked for errors, but I will do that probably today.

Thus far, I have been deleting these problem files, as they just seem to lock everything up when trying to do anything else with them; just out of curiousity, I wonder if these files might be rescue-able ?

being external it could be a lot of things, bad cable, bad usb hub, interference (when transferring or moving files) from other devices near by

get crystaldiskinfo or other smart information reader.

Gear List

Epochaly
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Apr 2014
South Asia
Jun 04, 2017 02:35 |  #15

BuckSkin wrote in post #18318935 (external link)
Thanks for the idea !

I've not been thrilled with the Transcends - I've used 3 & 2 failed prematurely , and two assistants have lost two within a year as well. They were attractive because they were shock proof & whatnot but I'm staying away from them...at least in the South Asian region!

sponsored links

2,860 views & 0 likes for this thread
What could be corrupting my image files ???
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.