Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 04 Apr 2017 (Tuesday) 18:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sabotaging Reviews.

Colin ­ Glover
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Colin Glover.
Apr 04, 2017 18:24 |  #1

I've noticed a trend on Amazon reviews relating to cheap photography equipment, be it flashguns, Tripods and other budget equipment. We are all aware of big name players, be it camera manufacturers, or makers of other high end gear costing hundreds. There are several items that are equal to if not better than the big brands. I'll show you one such cheap product's reviews https://www.amazon.com ...Viewpoints=1&pageNu​mber=1 (external link) You'll notice that most reviews are glowing 5 star, compared to the big brand at 3-5x the cost. Then there are two terrbible reviews that in my opinion are deliberately written to put you off the product. I'm not saying thay are not actual purchases, but are they there to sabotage these products? I'm just curious as to whether you've ever thought the same. If you have, post examples.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, Metz 36 AF-C flashgun, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
5,271 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Apr 04, 2017 18:37 |  #2

Amazon pays people to write reviews. Lots of retail sites do that. Look at established professional reviews.

Tom

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Yucca Valley, CA
Apr 04, 2017 18:50 |  #3

Colin Glover wrote in post #18319610 (external link)
I've noticed a trend on Amazon reviews relating to cheap photography equipment, be it flashguns, Tripods and other budget equipment. We are all aware of big name players, be it camera manufacturers, or makers of other high end gear costing hundreds. There are several items that are equal to if not better than the big brands. I'll show you one such cheap product's reviews https://www.amazon.com ...Viewpoints=1&pageNu​mber=1 (external link) You'll notice that most reviews are glowing 5 star, compared to the big brand at 3-5x the cost. Then there are two terrbible reviews that in my opinion are deliberately written to put you off the product. I'm not saying thay are not actual purchases, but are they there to sabotage these products? I'm just curious as to whether you've ever thought the same. If you have, post examples.

Have you ever bought something that was both cheap and well reviewed, only to have it fail on you? I see this all the time. A cheap knock off of a known (and more expensive) product that will have glowing reviews from the people who received functional product and poor reviews from the people who lost the "quality control lottery".

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Alveric.
Apr 04, 2017 19:59 |  #4

I bypass reviews. I go by price and place of origin/manufacture. When evaluating claims that X selling for $50 is better than X' selling for $500, I let logic triumph over wishful thinking and pony up the $500.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorably in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,008 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Apr 04, 2017 21:04 |  #5

Are you writing review on Amazon reviews here?
I followed link and it is totally average review on Amazon. Most of reviews are fine and two strange ones. It is within "statistics".
No conspiracy here. Move on.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
30,885 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed. 4 edits done in total.
Apr 04, 2017 22:24 |  #6

Bassat wrote in post #18319616 (external link)
Amazon pays people to write reviews. Lots of retail sites do that. Look at established professional reviews.

I am not sure where you get your info?

People write large reviews to reach a level where sellers send them their products for reviews, but Amazon doesn't pay for those reviews. I am an avid Amazon buyer and seller. In fact Amazon is cutting down on this hard, and have sued programs and sellers that try to pay others for reviews. No, Amazon DOES NOT pay for reviews, and as of last Oct, they took a hard stance against sellers on Amazon trying to get fake reviews. All sellers were notified of this.

https://techcrunch.com ...e-or-discounted-products/ (external link)

Past Equipment | My Galleryexternal link
Resources For Sale: High ISO Denoiser Actionexternal link | Focus Genie

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
5,271 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Apr 05, 2017 05:59 |  #7

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18319768 (external link)
I am not sure where you get your info?

People write large reviews to reach a level where sellers send them their products for reviews, but Amazon doesn't pay for those reviews. I am an avid Amazon buyer and seller. In fact Amazon is cutting down on this hard, and have sued programs and sellers that try to pay others for reviews. No, Amazon DOES NOT pay for reviews, and as of last Oct, they took a hard stance against sellers on Amazon trying to get fake reviews. All sellers were notified of this.

https://techcrunch.com ...e-or-discounted-products/ (external link)

Google "Amazon merchandise for review". Here is one: http://vonbeau.com ...s-to-review-on-amazon.htm (external link)

You'll get pages of this stuff. Giving free or deeply discounted merchandise for reviews is common place. That is tantamount to paying for reviews, isn't it? "Oh, boy! If I write more BS reviews for products I never took out of the box, I get more free/cheap stuff."

Tom

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
30,885 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Apr 05, 2017 07:00 |  #8

Again, that isnt Amazon. Sellers directly, and indirectly through 3rd party services are doing this. This practice is what Amazon is trying to stop. I cannot make it any clearer.

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
1,789 posts
Joined Nov 2009
It's Grim Up North
Post has been edited 2 months ago by john crossley.
Apr 05, 2017 07:14 |  #9

Colin Glover wrote in post #18319610 (external link)
...Then there are two terrbible reviews that in my opinion are deliberately written to put you off the product. I'm not saying thay are not actual purchases, but are they there to sabotage these products?....

I think you are talking out of your aperture there mate. So two people didn't like the product and gave it a low ratting, so what.

#BillyWhizz

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
30,885 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed.
Apr 05, 2017 07:24 |  #10

Amazon also pays for negative reviews, I suppose. :)

Neweer is like the Emerson of the TV world, products are hit or miss in their quality i have personally see it. You are in a lottery buying these 3rd party knockoffs so negative reviews are expected.

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Apr 05, 2017 07:44 |  #11

Cheaper also means less QC, and I think that is where you have the good - good - very bad - good item experience happen. Same with flashes in particular, and third party is getting better but build quality is less overall, so you get the clunkers with the diamonds.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Apr 05, 2017 08:12 |  #12

I assume a sizeable percentage of reviews are grinding an ax. I can get a sense of when a review is biased one way or the other. The best reviews note both good and bad about a product. Biased reviews are either super-good or super-bad; nothing in between. Once past that filter, I put more stock in reviews that are well-written and have no grammatical or spelling errors.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Tom Reichner.
Apr 05, 2017 09:35 |  #13

john crossley wrote in post #18319969 (external link)
I think you are talking out of your aperture there mate.

This is one of the funniest and cleverest things I have ever read here on POTN!

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18319959 (external link)
Again, that isnt Amazon. Sellers directly, and indirectly through 3rd party services are doing this. This practice is what Amazon is trying to stop. I cannot make it any clearer.

I agree, and the evidence completely backs this up.

I do not understand why this idea persists - this idea that Amazon pays for reviews. It is erroneous. We are supposed to purge our minds of erroneous ideas when we are shown that they are false, not continue to cling to them.

Tell us about your avatar here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=62390
Wildlife Photographed in the Wild: http://www.tomreichner​.com/Wildlife (external link)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/9036119@N02/ (external link)
Please feel free to send me a PM, or to email me at tomreichner@yahoo.com

OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,455 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Apr 05, 2017 10:50 |  #14

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18320069 (external link)
We are supposed to purge our minds of erroneous ideas when we are shown that they are false, not continue to cling to them.

Tom, prepare for a mind-purge. The idea that people act rationally in dealing with information is erroneous. I could give examples of common mistakes and biases that have been researched, but they might not apply to Amazon specifically.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Luckless
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Mar 2012
PEI, Canada
Apr 05, 2017 12:18 |  #15

Personally I find that the negative reviews are the ones that are actually useful in judging a product. The 4 and 5 star reviews typically are worthless "Everything's fine and dandy, I haven't used it enough to notice any problems yet."

For the "Brand name" vs "Knock off" products, which are typically "Large established company" vs "Third party with less capital trying to edge their way in", side of things there is also the problem of false inflation. - "I just paid 10-50x what the 'lesser' products cost, therefore this is CLEARLY so much better, and I'm going to convince myself of this to reinforce my decision to spend this much..."

Reviews, good and bad, should always be taken with a grain of salt. There is a lot of cheap kit out there that is more than good enough for the needs of many people or projects. And some of the "Third party" products, sold for a fraction of the price, really are not only great and reliable products, but cheap enough to readily afford having a second on hand as a backup. And those "Brand name" items can, and do, fail at times.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Lucklessexternal link

sponsored links

3,785 views & 27 likes for this thread
Sabotaging Reviews.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.