Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 05 Apr 2017 (Wednesday) 23:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Photographing my kid is against the rules!!!

marxski
28 posts
Joined Jan 2006
New York
Apr 05, 2017 23:21 |  #1

Was hoping to get some photos of my kids colorguard competition over the next few days but according to the rules my 6D/70-200 is too "proffessional". Any suggestions on gear (for future events) that would comply to the posted rules (copied and pasted below) would be greatly appreciated!!

RULES:

"As safety is paramount to all performers, any type of flash photography is strictly prohibited. Family, friends and fans may take still photos of WGI events for personal use only. The images may not be sold or otherwise distributed or publicly displayed without the written permission of Winter Guard International. WGI defines public display as a web site, printed publication or physical location where the public at large can gain access to one or more images of a WGI participating group in performance.

Small, non-professional, single frame "point & shoot" cameras are allowed into all venues. However, use of "Professional Cameras" are prohibited at all WGI events, unless the user has appropriate media credentials and prior written approval from Winter Guard International. Any camera that has a detachable lens or lens that extends to four (4) or more inches is considered a "Professional Camera" and thus prohibited.

Tripods or other similar equipment that may obstruct the view or path of travel of others in the stands are also not allowed.

WGI media credentials are restricted to recognized local and national media. Only WGI will issue credentials to working media pursuant to WGI’s media credentialing policies."

sponsored links
kf095
Cream of the Crop
5,979 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Apr 06, 2017 10:43 |  #2

I would get Lumix LX100 from BH.
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...lx100_digital_camer​a.html (external link)

It is advanced P&S with OK low light capabilities and image stabilizing. Just check if it is not too long with lens fully extracted. Many DSLR folks like this camera.

Or check Fuji X line. Small cameras, smaller primes and good low ISO capabilities.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Apr 06, 2017 11:33 |  #3

I would check into those super zoom bridge cameras.. there are several on the market that might fit the bill.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

Lumens
349 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Mesa, AZ
Apr 06, 2017 13:24 |  #4

I have a Fuji XT-2. Put the Vertical Battery Grip on it with the 100-400 lens and I get kicked out of places. Take the grip off and put the 28 mm pancake on it and I take pictures wherever I want. Including places I am not allowed to as no one even notices I have a camera.

Your smart phone will likely solve your problem though some of the new ones do quite well.

FUJI XT1 -> XF 10-24, XF 18-55, XF 55-200, XF 27mm pancake
6D -> Canon 28mm f2.8 IS, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro IS
Canon 24-105 f4L, Canon EF 70-200 f4L IS USM, Canon EF 100-400L IS
7D -> Canon EF-S 15-85

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Alveric.
Apr 06, 2017 14:44 |  #5

I would tell the event organisers to take a hike and withdraw my child from the competition, citing their nonsensical 'rules' as the reason why.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorably in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,029 posts
Joined Mar 2012
PEI, Canada
Apr 06, 2017 15:10 |  #6

Alveric wrote in post #18321332 (external link)
I would tell the event organisers to take a hike and withdraw my child from the competition, citing their nonsensical 'rules' as the reason why.

I'm sure the kid and all their teammates would love that...

However talking to a large enough group of parents about it, and getting a majority on board for being able to use reasonable camera gear as a parent or dropping support of the event may have an actual useful impact on things.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Lucklessexternal link

texkam
926 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Post has been edited 1 month ago by texkam.
Apr 06, 2017 18:24 |  #7

Winter Guard is big in Texas. Down here, if you're in the stands, I believe you have the freedom to shoot with whatever you please, provided there is no flash, for obvious reasons. A lone parent won't have much pull, but I would think this would be a rule change that most parents and school staff could get behind.

Jethr0
Joined Aug 2012
ON, Canada
Apr 06, 2017 18:30 |  #8

I see it going like this:

"Excuse me sir, you have a professional looking camera there"

Ok.

"Sir, we have rules"

Ok.

"Sir, you can't use that here"

Ok.

7DMKII/Canon 24-105 f4L/Sigma 10-20/Sigma 24-70 2.8/Sigma 70-200 2.8/Sigma 150-500 & some Speedlites
www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/jefflowe.ca (external link)

moose10101
registered smartass
1,558 posts
Joined May 2010
Maryland, USA
Apr 06, 2017 21:05 |  #9

Alveric wrote in post #18321332 (external link)

Recommending the nuclear option is so easy when it isn't your kid who will suffer.

vraspagraphix
119 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Apr 07, 2017 09:22 |  #10

Is this really a safety issue or is it an attempt to protect a contract between a venue or organization and a photography business selling photos of your kids. Sometime this is connected to a kickback agreement. If you are not allowed to take decent photos then you are more apt to buy theirs. I have seen this done at school activities.

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Scrumhalf.
Apr 07, 2017 09:27 |  #11

Consider a SX60HS. It is a bridge camera with a pretty substantial zoom capability. It is light and unobtrusive and the lens retracts almost flush with the body. It is my 12 yo son's camera and he is able to carry it all day without fatigue because it is so light. The picture quality from it is quite good, and the zoom capability is something you would appreciate when using it from the stands.

Sam
6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
38,102 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Apr 07, 2017 09:49 |  #12

From my Olympus film days, I have a 28-200mm superzoom which is 3.5" long...I have an OM-to-EF adapter so I can use it on my Canon dSLR. As a 7:1 zoom it may no be up to the same quality as a Canon 3:1 zoom, but it meets the qualifications to get your gear into the place. I did that when a friend had has 60th b'day party at a MLB stadium during a game, and similar restrictions on lens length were enforced coming into the ballpark.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Scrumhalf.
Apr 07, 2017 09:57 |  #13

I forgot to mention that the SX60HS and its predecessor, the SX50HS, are one of the few bridge cameras with RAW capability, so it makes it convenient for post-processing.

Sam
6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Orogeny
Joined Aug 2003
Houston, Texas
Apr 07, 2017 10:09 |  #14

I ran into the same thing when my son was in HS band and they were competing in a contest put on by a group called Bands of America (BOA). First we had to pay $25/person to watch our own child perform, but I was sent packing with my "professional" Digital Rebel (the original 300D) and a Sigma 100-300 POS that I got for free and wasn't worth the money.

After the competition, the photographer was doing group photos and didn't allow any cameras other than his own. His mistake, though, was that the photo was being taken right next to a public street, so I parked my truck and stood up in the bed and took several photos. He told me I had to stop and I told him to pound sand.

I printed copies and gave them to parents that wanted them. The price of the official photo was $50/print.

The entire reason you can't take a "professional" camera into one of these events is so that someone can make even more money off of you because they know that parents will spend silly money for those photos. Those contests are not for the kids, they are for the organizations. And those organizations are money making operations.

Tim

There's someone in my head, and it's not me! - Roger Waters

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/orogeny/ (external link)

mbellot
"My dog ate my title"
3,350 posts
Joined Jul 2005
The Miami of Canada - Chicago!
Apr 07, 2017 22:47 |  #15

Not to be too pedantic, but...

Isn't really an accurate thread title, just using your preferred gear is what is against the rules.

I have to +1 Orogeny on this one, its just a money grab by the organizers.

As long as you are taking the pictures "for personal use only", as stated in the second sentence of the first paragraph, they shouldn't bar any equipment as long as it doesn't interfere with others (such as a tripod).

sponsored links

2,354 views & 13 likes for this thread
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.