Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing
Thread started 08 Apr 2017 (Saturday) 21:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

I want to get higher, and higher....any suggestions?

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,577 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Apr 08, 2017 21:02 |  #1

so, not weed related...but i'm looking to try and get elevated shots...i don't know why, but it's all i've been thinking about for the last 4 days...it seems as though the majority of elevated/aerial photography discussion is centered around real estate...not sure why nobody thinks about it for landscapes, but i see it giving a different perspective than the normal shots from everyone else...so here's my thoughts:

there's the megamast 25ft tripod, but it's $700, and I can't justify that

there's using a paint pole which ranges from 16-23 ft, and can be had for relatively cheap with a $20 adapter...only issue is you have to hold the pole, and do everything on your own

there's also elevator/contractors/l​aser tripods, which i'm seeing go up to about 12ft...seems to be available for $150 or so...seem solidly built, and i'm right now thinking that that would probably be the best option

and then there's the random DIY part of me that's wondering if i took the base of a laser tripod, and found a way to attach the painters pole in the center if i could get that little extra length out of it

lastly, yes i know there are drones and believe me i kinda want one...but it seems like there are so many restrictions as to where you can take them, so i'm thinking of this as an alternative to a drone, where i can legally get away with it

any advice/tips/suggestion​s? or is everyone just going drones nowadays

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,457 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Apr 08, 2017 21:13 |  #2

Drones are less expensive than a Canon lens and will record 4K, and are so much more maneuverable and versatile in my opinion. Today was the first time I had dedicated time (1 hour or so) with my new DJI 4, and it is quite a bit of fun. Now I just need to memorize the 77page regulations and take the test... :(

Past Equipment | My Galleryexternal link
Resources For Sale: High ISO Denoiser Actionexternal link | Focus Genie

DreDaze
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,577 posts
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Apr 08, 2017 21:27 |  #3

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18323076 (external link)
Drones are less expensive than a Canon lens and will record 4K, and are so much more maneuverable and versatile in my opinion. Today was the first time I had dedicated time (1 hour or so) with my new DJI 4, and it is quite a bit of fun. Now I just need to memorize the 77page regulations and take the test... :(

yeah, my buddy got a mavic pro, and just watching him fly that thing around with ease was cool(i had been thinking of the DJI 3 for cheap, but now i'm not sure)...it's just that there is so much area around me where they aren't allowed...the crazy thing is that the majority of the time i'm at these spots where i'd want to use them there's nobody else around anyways.

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been edited 4 months ago by Tom Reichner.
Apr 08, 2017 23:02 |  #4

I neet to shoot from high up in order to get proper images of birds that nest up in the trees.

After a lot of trial and error, I finally discovered that using an orchardist's ladder works quite well. Orchard ladders are typically made of aluminum, and are very light compared to other stepladders. I have a little Toyota Corolla and have no difficulty whatsoever carrying it atop the car, with the aid or a roof rack made by Yakima.

The reason that the ladder is so far superior to a very tall tripod is that in order to have the greatest control over the composition, you will want to actually be behind the camera looking through the viewfinder, and be in a position where you can make tiny little adjustments in camera position with your own hands, instead of with some type of remote device.

I drilled a hole in the top of my orchard ladder and ran a stainless steel 3/8" bolt up through it. I can mount either my Indoor ballhead or my Wimberley gimbal head to the 3/8" bolt. So, with the camera mounted to the ladder in this fashion, the ladder actually forms a tall tripod that you can stand on, enabling you to hold the camera in your hands and look through the viewfinder.

This gives the most precise degree of control when one is extremely nit-picky about composition and does not want to have to crop off one single pixel in order to get exactly the framing that is most desired.

My ladder is a relatively short 12 foot tall version, which fits nicely atop my small car. Lightweight aluminum orchard ladders also come in 14 foot and 16 foot heights, which would fit great atop a pickup truck or a sports utility vehicle.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

DreDaze
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,577 posts
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Apr 09, 2017 10:33 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #5

I have always thought about bringing a ladder to places, i can see the benefit for nest sites especially...my thought on this though is more for landscapes, and some of them are very hilly, which i think would be difficult to accomplish with a ladder...as for composure, i feel like the tilt of the camera would be the main thing to figure out, i can do any other adjustments from below with the wifi app, and can just rotate the whole set up to change the composure

It's seeming to me like the contractors tripod may be the way to go, get my feet wet with it all, it would be about 12ft up, which is certainly a different perspective than the typical 5ft or less

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by Left Handed Brisket. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 09, 2017 11:22 |  #6

I built a platform on top of my 4Runner. Standing up there puts camera level at about 11-12 feet. Used 2x2 deck rail boards as the frame and 5/8 dog ear fence boards for the deck. Tied it straight to the factory roof rack with hex bolts and fender washers. Cost about 14 bucks.

Haven't put my c-stand up there yet, but it would get the camera about 17 feet off the ground.

I have a telescoping paint poll too but have never used it for anything other than knocking cobwebs from the eaves of the house. Pretty sure my Kupo baby pin to ball head adapter that I use on my c stand would slide right on there.

Competely agree that having a higher vantage point is essential in many situations.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Apr 09, 2017 12:15 |  #7

DreDaze wrote in post #18323369 (external link)
I have always thought about bringing a ladder to places, i can see the benefit for nest sites especially...my thought on this though is more for landscapes, and some of them are very hilly, which i think would be difficult to accomplish with a ladder...as for composure, i feel like the tilt of the camera would be the main thing to figure out . . .

Stability on hillsides and camera tilt are no concern whatsoever if you use an orchard ladder. They are made for use in orchards, which are often located on steep, hilly terrain on mountain foothills.

Orchard ladders have three legs, and are easy to set up on hills. You just position the legs so that the horizontal bars (steps) are level. The third leg, the one without the steps connected to it, is attached via a pivoting joint, so that the angle of the pivot is fully adjustable, so as to account for varying degrees of hill steepness.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

NDAPhoto
134 posts
Joined Jul 2015
California
Apr 09, 2017 12:23 |  #8

DreDaze, you left out remote viewing which is essential. I use CamRanger and that narrows the options when choosing a rig. Also have a Mavic, but licensing and insurance are essential. As noted, a $4500 DSLR+lens combo on a pole versus $1200 drone is not a clear choice. Each has different factors depending on the outcome you seek. If you work commercially, the return on investment is clear. If not, the DIY approach is reasonable and part of the reward itself.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,457 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by TeamSpeed. 3 edits done in total.
Apr 09, 2017 15:36 |  #9

Licensing is $5, and take about 10 minutes or so, if you are doing it for your own enjoyment. Also, you can get a Phantom 3 with 4K video and a 3 way gimbal for $550 directly from DJI. I plan on doing the commercial license by taking the $150 test though, because I have many opportunities in the area for this kind of service.

Past Equipment | My Galleryexternal link
Resources For Sale: High ISO Denoiser Actionexternal link | Focus Genie

DreDaze
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,577 posts
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Apr 09, 2017 22:36 |  #10

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18323437 (external link)
Stability on hillsides and camera tilt are no concern whatsoever if you use an orchard ladder. They are made for use in orchards, which are often located on steep, hilly terrain on mountain foothills.

Orchard ladders have three legs, and are easy to set up on hills. You just position the legs so that the horizontal bars (steps) are level. The third leg, the one without the steps connected to it, is attached via a pivoting joint, so that the angle of the pivot is fully adjustable, so as to account for varying degrees of hill steepness.

hmm, yeah i've seen them around, but didn't really think about it like that...another thing after looking around for them, they seem to be priced closer to $300 or so for anything taller than 10ft...it would be one thing if i had land, and could use a ladder around the house, but i'm in an apt. so i'd have to store it somewhere...i could always put it at a family members house, but that just seems like it'd be more of a nuisance

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18323405 (external link)
I built a platform on top of my 4Runner. Standing up there puts camera level at about 11-12 feet. Used 2x2 deck rail boards as the frame and 5/8 dog ear fence boards for the deck. Tied it straight to the factory roof rack with hex bolts and fender washers. Cost about 14 bucks.

Haven't put my c-stand up there yet, but it would get the camera about 17 feet off the ground.

I have a telescoping paint poll too but have never used it for anything other than knocking cobwebs from the eaves of the house. Pretty sure my Kupo baby pin to ball head adapter that I use on my c stand would slide right on there.

Competely agree that having a higher vantage point is essential in many situations.

hmm...i have a 4runner too...and i'm a carpenter, so building something would be pretty easy...i'm almost thinking if i did a couple of platforms that basically just fit over the factory rack, and i could store them in the back, and just put them on top...that being said, i've already stood on top of it to get a few shots, but it makes me think if i went up 12ft on top of that i'd be even higher up :)....only issue there is the fact i have to be near a road

NDAPhoto wrote in post #18323445 (external link)
DreDaze, you left out remote viewing which is essential. I use CamRanger and that narrows the options when choosing a rig. Also have a Mavic, but licensing and insurance are essential. As noted, a $4500 DSLR+lens combo on a pole versus $1200 drone is not a clear choice. Each has different factors depending on the outcome you seek. If you work commercially, the return on investment is clear. If not, the DIY approach is reasonable and part of the reward itself.

my 70D has wifi, and it's probably the one i'd use...unless i were to get a EOSm2, which also has wifi...so the remote viewing/shooting is fine with any option...i don't even know if i have $4,500 worth of all my gear...but i've got enough to get some photos...that's the thing, i already own all that

and yeah, i shoot for myself, so the only person i'm looking to please is myself...i know at some point i will own a drone, they're just too cool not to

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18323599 (external link)
Licensing is $5, and take about 10 minutes or so, if you are doing it for your own enjoyment. Also, you can get a Phantom 3 with 4K video and a 3 way gimbal for $550 directly from DJI. I plan on doing the commercial license by taking the $150 test though, because I have many opportunities in the area for this kind of service.

yeah, and the standard P3 is only like $350...don't know if i really need 4k...but watching my buddy with that mavic...it looked like fun, and it's super compact...and of course after checking out the price of them at bestbuy, i get an email saying they're doing 24month no interest for a limited time...

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,201 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Apr 09, 2017 23:22 |  #11

I have thought about it for a while for different perspective never got any serious in actually doing it.

I would also check out mathews, lot of nice equipment for movies etc which can handle lot of load if needed. Here is a 15 feet stand for little over $300.

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...yword%7D&is=REG&A=d​etails (external link)

20+ feet for < $500.
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...7Bkeyword%7D&Q=&A=d​etails (external link)

And there are drones as mentioned.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Apr 10, 2017 00:13 |  #12

You can always get a balloon and mount a camera to it. I've seen kits that are essentially blimps with gimbals for aerial photography.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Trugga
Joined Jan 2011
West Midands, UK
Apr 15, 2017 07:21 |  #13

This photo was a 7D with a 8mm fisheye, hoisted up on the end of a mono pod, held at arms length - possibly ~14'

(yeah, I know, the lens was fogged)

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7299/9599840911_8fdac0e677_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/fCiG​ft] (external link)
Lawrence_Fowler_IMG_29​94_tn (external link) by Lawrence Fowler (external link), on Flickr

I also have, but have not used, a 30' fibreglass telescopic mast (ham radio) that fits into a tube, that is welded to a plate, that you park your car wheel onto.

Maybe not the heights you're looking for, but might kick off some ideas.

Lawrence

Canon EOS 7D, EOS 5D Mark III | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | Samyang 8mm f/3.8 VDSLR Fish-eye | Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C | Yongnuo YN-568EX, YN-568EX II

DreDaze
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,577 posts
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Apr 15, 2017 09:05 |  #14

so for now i ordered this:
https://www.amazon.com ...age_o00_s00?ie=UTF8​&psc=1 (external link)

my boss has maybe a 14-16ft painters pole, so i'm going to see about attaching it to that before delving into anything more expensive

i can also use the laser tripod we have to see if there's anyway i can make it so the pole is stabilized on a tripod like that

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Apr 15, 2017 09:54 |  #15

Is that a 1/4-20 thread? I'd think you'd want a 3/8 to mount a ball head.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links

4,334 views & 37 likes for this thread
I want to get higher, and higher....any suggestions?
FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.