Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing
Thread started 08 Apr 2017 (Saturday) 21:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

I want to get higher, and higher....any suggestions?

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Apr 21, 2017 21:35 |  #61

Lost my glasses at a shoot today, so only read a few of the latest posts.

But this is what you want for the threads.

http://m.loctiteproduc​ts.com/browse_products​.pl/10/15 (external link)

Just a drop of the blue should lock the threads for normal use and allow you to loosen them later. Even the red will come loose with some work.

I think that is the right color code, again, no glasses.

Plus I'm feeling especially lazy.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links
flowrider
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
Apr 21, 2017 21:59 |  #62

DreDaze wrote in post #18334264 (external link)
unfortunately the green area, which is where i normally head out, is Point Reyes National Seashore, and the Golden Gate National Recreation Area...but good info on the filing of flights beforehand...where you can and cannot go with a drone seems intimidating to figure out...i feel like if these national parks offered up a permit fee of $20 for a day or something they could make money, and allow people to shoot in there...i feel like the drones now don't make nearly as much noise as they did in the past...unless you are fairly close to one i don't think you can hear it as much...at least with my buddy's mavic

It's my understanding that you can't take off in a National Park but you can take off outside of it and fly into it.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

DreDaze
THREAD ­ STARTER
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,689 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Apr 21, 2017 22:01 |  #63

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18334413 (external link)
Lost my glasses at a shoot today, so only read a few of the latest posts.

But this is what you want for the threads.

http://m.loctiteproduc​ts.com/browse_products​.pl/10/15 (external link)

Just a drop of the blue should lock the threads for normal use and allow you to loosen them later. Even the red will come loose with some work.

I think that is the right color code, again, no glasses.

Plus I'm feeling especially lazy.

thanks, i've got some of the blue, so i'll throw it on there before i leave for the camping trip

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

DreDaze
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,689 posts
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Apr 21, 2017 22:01 |  #64

flowrider wrote in post #18334427 (external link)
It's my understanding that you can't take off in a National Park but you can take off outside of it and fly into it.

hmm...that's interesting to hear...thanks

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

NDAPhoto
139 posts
Joined Jul 2015
California
Apr 22, 2017 09:26 |  #65

flowrider wrote in post #18334427 (external link)

You are not allowed to launch, land OR operate within boundaries of a NP. People can argue about language, but what matters is how it is currently being enforced, and the National Park Service says no.

BushWacker
Goldmember
1,480 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2011
Lake Tahoe, USA
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by BushWacker. 4 edits done in total.
Jun 17, 2017 02:41 |  #66

I used an 18' extendable painters pole, took a $10 paint roller brush and cut the brush off, then threaded the metal at 20 per inch that comes out of the plastic handle (which just happens to be 1/4") then attached a ball mount to that. I use a wireless remote trigger which was also pretty cheap (I forget now but probably <$40 and I already had one). This is the pole setup.

For the pole stand I welded a flat piece of metal to a 3' metal pipe that the pole will fit into, I drive my car onto the flat piece of metal to hold it stable then lift the pole and camera and set it down into the 3' metal pipe. Now you have a stable setup that you don't have to hold onto so you can concentrate on capturing the picture. You can do all of this without the stand and I have but it's a beast and quite wobbly so I'm always afraid of dropping the whole thing!

I like to use my Canon 70D camera body because it has a tilt out screen that I can actually see the composition of the picture before I release the shutter.

This setup is the cheapest I could figure out at $ Per Foot of elevation. Not counting the camera and lenses of course, because I already owned the camera equipment. It would certainly be a different story if I was starting from scratch and just trying to get an elevation shot affordably. About $50 for the pole, $10 for the paint brush handle (needs to be cut and threaded), $40 for the remote trigger, $50 for the metal stand and pipe (needs to be welded) so about $150 for the whole thing and most likely less than $200 total including labor if you need it.

For me I had the metal, welder, remote trigger, camera ball mount, paint brush handle and threading dies so I only forked out the $50 for the painters pole making it a no brainer for me. The height with a nice wide angle lens (8m-24m range) is incredible. Most people think it is done with a drone.

Here are a couple example shots, you can see in the first one my shadow of the setup. Lens was at 11mm on a crop body so about 18mm for a full frame. I shot this one hand held without the metal stand. ps: be careful of electrical wires... :rolleyes:

IMAGE: http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss340/WackyBush/Real%20Estate/IMG_6410e_zpsfssm42gg.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://s589.photobucke​t.com ...410e_zpsfssm42gg.jp​g.html] (external link)

IMAGE: http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss340/WackyBush/Real%20Estate/IMG_6409e.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://s589.photobucke​t.com ...Estate/IMG_6409e.jp​g.html] (external link)

"When I shoot something I use a Canon!"
-------------- Flickr (external link)| Gear List --------------

DreDaze
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,689 posts
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Jun 17, 2017 11:29 as a reply to BushWacker's post |  #67

Is there a reason you bought the remote instead of just using the wifi on the 70D? I think it's pretty easy to see the composition, and fire the shutter with that...i like the idea of the mount to support it...just not sure if i'd be near my car...i've only taken the pole out a couple more times...still havent gone up the full distance

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

BushWacker
Goldmember
1,480 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Lake Tahoe, USA
Jun 17, 2017 14:05 |  #68

DreDaze wrote in post #18380587 (external link)
Is there a reason you bought the remote instead of just using the wifi on the 70D? I think it's pretty easy to see the composition, and fire the shutter with that...i like the idea of the mount to support it...just not sure if i'd be near my car...i've only taken the pole out a couple more times...still havent gone up the full distance

The reason is I didn't know it had it! Duh... I guess I'll have to look into that feature. I already had the remote setup with my 60D, now that I look back on it this shot was taken with my old 60D and not the 70D. These were taken at the full extension of 18' and the pole was hand held. It's just a balancing act, you have to concentrate 1st on the camera/pole setup and then worry about the picture composition later but never losing concentration on the pole. Kind of like driving while talking on your cell phone, come people just can't do it.

BushWacker
Goldmember
1,480 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Lake Tahoe, USA
Jun 17, 2017 14:50 |  #69

After about an hour and a half I couldn't get the wifi to work on my Galaxy Note 3 (Android). Phone shows connected but the camera says not. Back to the remote I guess...

sponsored links

5,315 views & 38 likes for this thread
I want to get higher, and higher....any suggestions?
FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.