Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk
Thread started 09 Apr 2017 (Sunday) 22:01
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Ducks eyes focusing problem

Greg_8
Joined Nov 2006
Michigan, Northern Lower & Eastern Upper
Apr 09, 2017 22:01 |  #1

Hi.

Does anyone else have a problem getting Ducks' eyes in focus? I get what is like a reflection. I do not sense it as much on other birds or in other photography.

I'm wondering what I am seeing is evidence that I need to micro focus adjust my 7DII or if there is something unique with Duck eyes giving more reflection?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Keep 'em flying,
Greg B

sponsored links
Greg_8
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2006
Post has been edited 7 months ago by Greg_8.
Apr 09, 2017 22:02 |  #2

Two more

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Keep 'em flying,
Greg B

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Apr 10, 2017 10:49 |  #3

Greg_8 wrote in post #18323862 (external link)
Does anyone else have a problem getting Ducks' eyes in focus? I get what is like a reflection. I do not sense it as much on other birds or in other photography.

I'm wondering what I am seeing is evidence that I need to micro focus adjust my 7DII or if there is something unique with Duck eyes giving more reflection?

Hi, Greg!

I do not understand what you are saying. I think that perhaps you think you are seeing a problem that does not exist?

It is really hard to see what you are talking about in the photos you posted because the ducks are so small in the frame. If you had some close-ups, then it would be possible to see what part of the duck is in focus and what part isn't. When you mention getting something that looks like a reflection, it would be especially helpful if you could post a close-up of this so that we could see what you mean.

I have not had any special difficulties getting duck's eyes in sharp focus......at least no more so than getting other bird's eyes in focus.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

teekay
Goldmember
2,595 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by teekay. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 10, 2017 18:23 |  #4

Greg_8 wrote in post #18323862 (external link)
..Does anyone else have a problem getting Ducks' eyes in focus?...

Not really, unless you mean the pupil itself, which is hard to focus on because it is of course both jet black and reflective. This is a crop from an old shot so a bit grainy, but you can see what I mean.

IMAGE: http://community.netidea.com/teekay/temp/NoImage.jpg

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011
Virginia
Post has been edited 7 months ago by Larry Johnson.
Apr 12, 2017 18:30 |  #5

You can easily test your camera/lens setup to determine if you need to micro adjust, but if you are only seeing focusing issues with one group of birds, it's not likely a camera issue. There's nothing particular about waterfowl eyes that require special focusing techniques. Don't let the camera select your focus point because it may be focusing on the water movement (not that I see that in your photos). Use one single AF point, no expansion. Put it right on the eye or the head.

Did you use a teleconverter on the last two. Could be the issue.

flickr (external link)

Bsmooth
853 posts
Joined Feb 2005
New England
Apr 14, 2017 11:42 |  #6

I've had this same exact problem myself, and I'm nor sure why. Possibly reflections from the water. I use a Canon 1DMKIV and the later version of the 100-400V2. I've tried it in AIServo and also in one shot with the same results. It seems to be very much hit or miss whether the eye is in focus or not. I can basically get within a few feet too of some of the tamer ducks.
Its a very weird thing, which I haven't figured out, but when I saw the title I knew I had to look, because I know now I'm not the only one.

Bruce

ejenner
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2011
Denver, CO
May 04, 2017 00:12 |  #7

I've had this problem with ducks with extreme change in brightness on their head, like your first shot, but not particularly otherwise.

Now I do occasionally find I just can't get anything sharp, but that is usually air currents.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

Greg_8
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2006
May 06, 2017 16:21 |  #8

Thanks to all for sharing your experiences. I have decided to get a micro focus adjustment tool, and hopefully if I don't mess the camera/lens up, I might get the tad more sharp I am looking for.

Thanks again.

Keep 'em flying,
Greg B

Bsmooth
853 posts
Joined Feb 2005
New England
May 12, 2017 08:52 |  #9

I'm not sure exactly why, but I've heard other photographers say the same thing. If everything else shoots ok and its only ducks or birds in water, I'll bet it has something to do with reflections. You could also check and see where the AF point was when you took the shot. I know theres a plugin for Lightroom thats shows where the AF point was, not sure about other ways but it does help quite a bit.

Bruce

D ­ Jacobs
33 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Jun 18, 2017 04:55 |  #10

That's interesting and I would think that I might have trouble too trying to focus on just the eye.

5D Mark II / 7D / 70-200mm f/2.8L IS / 24-105mm f/4L / 17-40mm f/4L / 600 EX-RT / Need to stop before more things are listed here...

pinball
Joined Jun 2004
Jun 23, 2017 20:09 |  #11

I think what happens it depends on how many focus points are being used, if you using more than 1 then it will adjust too which focus points are being used

Bill

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Jun 25, 2017 11:37 |  #12

Greg_8 wrote in post #18347945 (external link)
Thanks to all for sharing your experiences. I have decided to get a micro focus adjustment tool, and hopefully if I don't mess the camera/lens up, I might get the tad more sharp I am looking for.

Hey, Greg

Did you get the micro adjustment tool yet? . If so, how did it work out for you?

Also, do you have any close-ups of ducks, so that we can see the eye focus problem you were talking about? . I asked about this in post #3, back when you first started the thread, but didn't hear anything back from you about it.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Lester ­ Wareham
Joined Jul 2005
Hampshire, UK
Jul 13, 2017 11:57 |  #13

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18324235 (external link)
Hi, Greg!

I do not understand what you are saying. I think that perhaps you think you are seeing a problem that does not exist?

It is really hard to see what you are talking about in the photos you posted because the ducks are so small in the frame. If you had some close-ups, then it would be possible to see what part of the duck is in focus and what part isn't. When you mention getting something that looks like a reflection, it would be especially helpful if you could post a close-up of this so that we could see what you mean.

I have not had any special difficulties getting duck's eyes in sharp focus......at least no more so than getting other bird's eyes in focus.

I am with Tom here, I have often notice apparant eye softness in duck, the tufteds are typical. Yet the feathers around are sharp. I think they have diffused edges to the pupils that can make they eyes look soft and trigger the old wildlife photog paranoia.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

Bsmooth
853 posts
Joined Feb 2005
New England
Jul 14, 2017 11:33 |  #14

You know what I've also noticed this on as well....Cormorants.The thing is it usually happens in the air as well as on the water.

Bruce

Greg_8
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2006
Jul 15, 2017 05:07 |  #15

Hi all. No, I never did the Micro adjust. I've been enjoying dragonfly action lately and am getting sharp pictures. I am agreeing with Tom and Lester; I believe duck eyes are naturally diffused and the camera captures it accurately.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Keep 'em flying,
Greg B

sponsored links

6,810 views & 6 likes for this thread
Ducks eyes focusing problem
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.