Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 11 Apr 2017 (Tuesday) 13:40
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Need suggestions Tethering camera and stacking software

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,397 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Apr 12, 2017 14:21 |  #16

Panamaszr12 wrote in post #18326146 (external link)
I don't know if this is your arena but I'm looking to hack the T1i with magic lantern, as it appears it would solve a lot of the issues with exposure time, and maybe even the cropping. I'm just looking into it now to get the full rundown.
Also I just struck a deal for the camera for $150. It was used by this persons wife, and was hardly used at all. So it's like new with filters, bag, cables, software, battery & charger, as well as sd card. How is that for a deal.

Well I'll say good luck !! Hope your experiment works out the way you want it to . For the type images your doing nothing in astronomy here can help you . Yes you can use the stacking software but as Mal said the turbulence from heat what you call a mirage will be false evidence unless you can see the image well enough to already see a bullet hole through a 6" scope at 600 yds . Not only does your scope have great optics but your eye-sight is pretty darn good . Good luck !

Panamaszr12
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2017
Apr 12, 2017 14:41 as a reply to post 18326115 |  #17

I do understand the optical problems involved with bullet location, but for our purposes if I can see that our hits are in the 10 ring I'd be happy. It would be a far cry from not being able to see holes at all. Also my sweetie has an eye condition, and anything I can do to keep her from straining her eyes, and looking at a computer screen would be a big plus.

jgoetz4
Joined Dec 2005
Hanover, Pa-Baltimore, Md
Apr 25, 2017 07:54 |  #18

Celestron wrote in post #18325279 (external link)
All those cameras you mentioned are discontinued lines from Canon . You might still be able to buy some of them like on ebay or amazon or a few places on the web but just remember they are old . Also too I don't think any of those cameras take video so if you want to take a 30-sec video you need a video cam or camera that is capable for video . Still images yes it can be done but i don't know if there is a software that retrieves your camera images instantly on your computer . Besides if 30-secs is your goal then planets and individual stars will be about all you can do but if your wanting deep space objects like nebulaes or galaxies or star clusters you really are looking at about 30-sec/frame for any object and even then about 200 thirty second images to stack and make a good image . Is your scope on a tracking mount ? If not you cannot get anything cause in a 6" scope objects will move fast enough to just cause a blurred or star trail image . So you might go back and check out cameras again and get something more updated or new . CHeck out the cameras at Canon and you can see at least what is still under production . Cameras like the XT and XTi and XSi are all Rebel lines from Canon which this line Canon makes a certain amount of different ones for this line and every year when they come out with a new Rebel line the camera on the end usually gets dropped and classified as discontinued .

https://www.usa.canon.​com ...oducts/list/cameras​/dslr/ (external link)

Canon refurbished gear: shop.usa.canon.com I buy here on a regular basis. Comes with 1 yr warranty :-)

6D, SL1, 10-22 (modified for the 6D) 50 1.8 STM, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, 70-300L IS, Da Bigma, Kenko Pro 1.4x tc
Fuji X-E1 and a bunch of glass
Fuji X100
Sky-Watcher 8'' Dobsonian

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,397 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Apr 25, 2017 08:39 |  #19

jgoetz4 wrote in post #18337862 (external link)
Canon refurbished gear: shop.usa.canon.com I buy here on a regular basis. Comes with 1 yr warranty :-)

Your right , I forgot about that . Mainly cause I haven't bought or been interested in a new camera in a long time and the other factor that i'm retiring from AP . Just observing for me now ;) .

1,913 views & 7 likes for this thread
Need suggestions Tethering camera and stacking software
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.