Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras
Thread started 12 Apr 2017 (Wednesday) 00:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Nikon D7500 up and for sale

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,628 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Apr 12, 2017 00:15 |  #1

http://www.nikonusa.co​m ...t/dslr-cameras/d7500.html (external link)

8 FPS, 50 shot RAW buffer, 51Pt AF system (now with Group AF), 4K video, 180K RGB meter, tilt / touch screen, D500 sensor + expeed 5. Overall, looks pretty sweet to me, definitely an upgrade over the previous models (although some will disagree). So far, the only downside is it seems to just have a single card slot. The door is half size and looking at the high res top shot, it doesn't show the little card icons.

sponsored links
tdlavigne
303 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Apr 12, 2017 01:09 |  #2

Seems like another minimal upgrade...the 8fps and buffer are nice, but if you're not shooting wildlife/sports I don't think the avg consumer will be impressed. Maybe for people already in the Nikon ecosystem, but they could've just put anything out to placate most of us; I think they should've had some sort of "wow" factor or amazing feature to get new consumers. 4k sounds nice until you realize most people's cell phones can do it now. Comparing this to other cameras at that level:

80D: 7fps, 24mp (the biggest selling feature for newbies at retail stores), 45pt x-type af, same screen...no 4k, but proven video nonetheless ~1100/900 (new/refurb)
refurb D750: FF, 24mp, same AF system, tilty/flippy screen, generally considered the best all around dslr at the moment ~$1450
D7200: 6fp, 24mp, same af just without group AF (how many people other than a specific group even know what that is?), no 4k or tilty/flippy screen $996/749 (new/refurb)
and the elephant in the room: a refurb D500 will cost you ~$1500-1600.

So for a 2-3 hundred less you can get whats likely equally good from Canon, or the last gen from Nikon that'll do ~90% of the new one, or for 2-3hundred more you can get the top of the line DX, or best overall FX.

Don't get me wrong...it's nice to see them do something after being a no show for the last couple major shows, but at that price point and at this point in time when they're looking stagnant on both innovation and just releases in general (no new DX lenses, no viable mirrorless, 1-2 years late for D8XX, D75X, D6XX upgrades) they could've done better. Different strokes and all, and I'm sure a lot of people will love it but it's not for me.

RussellJ
Joined Jul 2013
San Diego, Ca
Apr 12, 2017 19:53 |  #3

I just saw that this new camera wont allow for a battery grip, and only has one SD card slot. Seems like a downgrade really over the 7200.

Outdoor Adventure Photographer
Darktide Photo - darktidephoto.com

tdlavigne
303 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Apr 12, 2017 23:32 as a reply to RussellJ's post |  #4

Yeah, just saw that too...not sure what they're thinking. They're crippling it a little too much, perhaps for fear that it'd compare with the D500? I think that'd be a dumb reason as the D500 AF is really what puts it in a class of it's own.

No AI coupling (won't meter with the older manual lenses)
Less resolution on screen
No battery grip
No 2nd SD slot
UHS-I only? (rumors so far say this)
Less battery life
Less resolution (yeah, the 20mp sensor might be amazing, but the avg consumer doesn't think that way...more = better)

Hopefully they guessed right and this is a homerun, as I'd hate for another failure to cause them to start second guessing the other bodies that I want upgrades to (D6XX and D8XX)

RussellJ
Joined Jul 2013
San Diego, Ca
Apr 13, 2017 00:14 |  #5

Ya I love the D500, amazing camera and just me but I think best camera Nikon has really. This was not a smart step Then again having 3 DX consumer models is bad. They need one DX camera that is the 3xxx, 5xxx, and 7xxx. Then they need the D500 for pro shooters who use crop.

tdlavigne
303 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Post has been last edited 7 months ago by tdlavigne. 3 edits done in total.
Apr 13, 2017 01:49 as a reply to RussellJ's post |  #6

Totally agree. The trend seems to be to push towards FX (makes sense considering the lack of support for DX lens-wise other than kit zooms); so they should condense D3xxx and D5xxx into one body, and then leave the D500 as the pro body for those that need the crop. I'd also kill the D6xx series, and just have D7xx and D8xx in addition to two Dx series flagships: one super high res/low fps for commercial/studio photographers and one low res/high fps (basically the D5 as is). Kill the DF as well and make a proper mirrorless body similar to what Canon did and that'll give them 3 price points for dslr's, no overlap, and ideally all needs met.

In a perfect world:

D3xxx/5xxx hybrid: 24mp, working snapbridge or a better way of sharing photos...maybe directly to FB and IG, basic 4k video implementation, 120fps 720 for a gimmick, tilty-flippy touchscreen. ~$750
D500: leave as is, the high fps, best AF body for sports/wildlife ~$1800
The tricky part is there's room for the D7xxx series to exist in between the two, so they could theoretically keep it if they can make it worth $1250.

D6xx/7xx hybrid: 24mp or even 30mp, 8fps, same AF as D750, working snapbridge, tilty-flippy touchscreen, 4k and all the fancy video features (10bit 4:2:2 at high bitrate/flat profiles/peaking/zebra​s/etc) you'd find in a GH4/5 for example. Targeting video centric people who are leaking to Canon/Sony/Panasonic ~$2200
D8xx: 54mp, 4fps, D5 AF system, touchscreen ~$3400

*With the exception of the 3xxx/5xxx body, the other 3 should be more consistent in their build quality. Maybe D500 style for all, with varying levels of mag/alloy as you move up the ladder. Consistency body-wise has been a big issue for Nikon.

D5: keep it and it's update the same, low res, rugged, super high fps body ~$5000-5500
D5x: same as D5 but with 70-80mp, give it the tweaked 51pt AF, 16bit color, and low fps. Target commercial shooters who are renting MF or those looking at the new Fuji, price at ~$7500-8000

Mirrorless options to rival the M5/M6, an entry level and upper level, both ~24mp DX, one with EVF, one w/o. Give them touchscreens, decent video, and electronic shutters with decently fast fps. Must have working snapbridge (ideally something better). Pretty much follow what Canon did, but with one big caveat: make it take f-mount lenses. No adapter if possible. Size the lower level around an A6000, and the upper level around an A7.

And last but not least, follow that up with some smaller f2 DX primes (which benefits those that still use the D3xxx/5xxx, D500, and the new mirrorless options. 14mm, 18mm, a 2.8 pancake 28 or 30mm, update the 35mm, and then add an updated wide/standard f2.8 lens like the old 17-55mm.

IF they could do all that, they'll consolidate the lines a bit and differentiate them a bit more. Working mirrorless, that has access to all of the F-Mount stuff would essentially kill every other mirrorless option if they don't screw up the body itself. Adding some new primes that are smaller and target DX and the mirrorless users also shows that Nikon intends to support the format (DX) and the new mirrorless (because no one knows what's going on with the 1 series)

smythie
I wasn't even trying
Joined Jun 2009
Sydney - Australia
Apr 13, 2017 06:53 |  #7

Some good ideas in there

Gear List

ICee
Joined May 2006
Newcastle upon tyne uk
Apr 13, 2017 14:17 |  #8

Minor upgrades from D7200 and only one card slot.

RussellJ
Joined Jul 2013
San Diego, Ca
Apr 13, 2017 16:40 |  #9

Ya anyone was to ask me about it i would say save up a few more months and get a D500 or save some money and get a 7200

rick_reno
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
44,628 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Apr 13, 2017 23:10 |  #10

they have eliminated the AI index ring on the lens mount. this is a not a camera I'd buy.

mwsilver
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Central New Jersey
Post has been last edited 7 months ago by mwsilver. 5 edits done in total.
Apr 15, 2017 00:18 |  #11

rick_reno wrote in post #18325680 (external link)
http://www.nikonusa.co​m ...t/dslr-cameras/d7500.html (external link)

8 FPS, 50 shot RAW buffer, 51Pt AF system (now with Group AF), 4K video, 180K RGB meter, tilt / touch screen, D500 sensor + expeed 5. Overall, looks pretty sweet to me, definitely an upgrade over the previous models (although some will disagree). So far, the only downside is it seems to just have a single card slot. The door is half size and looking at the high res top shot, it doesn't show the little card icons.

Let's see. It's using a 20mp sensor rather then the fabulous 24mp sensor of the D7200. It only supports one card slot instead of two. It doesn't support the use of a battery grip. The resolution of the LCD screen has been lowered a full 25% to 922,000 dots from the 1,228,800 in the D7200! The rated battery life has been reduced 15% to 950 shots from 1110 in the D7200. The AI index ring on the lens mount is gone. Finally, the D7500 body has a carbon fiber chassis rather than the magnesium alloy panels of the D7200. When you look at the specs, the new features, and what has been removed, its clear the D7500 is not a successor to the still wonderful D7200, but rather something brand new which should more aptly be named the D500 Lite.

Mark
Canon 7D II, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, and 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM. Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, Lightroom 6, Elements 15

Boringjay
22 posts
Joined Apr 2017
Apr 21, 2017 19:31 |  #12

Get d500 or d7200

sponsored links

1,191 views & 3 likes for this thread
Nikon D7500 up and for sale
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.