Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 12 Apr 2017 (Wednesday) 08:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Question

Tom1946
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Apr 2017
Apr 12, 2017 08:02 |  #1

I have a canon 40d camera
However I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.
Put transmitter on my camera to fire studio light which didn't go off.pressed the test switch and light went off. Same thing happened again. I then put on flash gun in case something was wrong with hotshoe however flash went off ok.
Tried studio light again but still had same problem.
Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Tom1946

sponsored links
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Apr 12, 2017 09:25 |  #2

Have you tried a different transmitter?

If the hot shoe is working fine with other things then I would think it is the transmitter.

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Post has been last edited 8 months ago by ksbal. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 12, 2017 10:51 |  #3

There are lots of questions.. what model of transmitter? are you sure the sync speed of the shutter will see the flash? Did you try the pc port on the camera?

so model of triggers, model of strobes model of speedlight would be helpful to trouble shoot.

Did you triple check trigger on camera hot shoe is pushed in all the way and on correctly? (sometimes they let you put it on the wrong way, sometimes the pins are sticky and don't seat properly)

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Apr 12, 2017 12:15 |  #4

I'm with Allen (Airfrogusmc) in thinking you have a problematical transmitter.

You should have got a PC sync cord with the studio strobes, and your 40D has a PC socket, so I would first test the strobes by using the cable for sync. If you get a good result from that you will know that your issue is with the radio trigger system. Based on some of your comments I think it is the Tx that is the issue, but I would still try this to check anyway. Then if you get issues in the future you know you have a backup system. I use a cheap unbranded Chinese RF trigger, and in one industrial location there is a lot of interference from machinery, which triggers the flashes, so I use the PC cord in that location.

When you say you used the test button, was that on the Tx? If it was then it seems as if the TX is able to send the radio signal correctly to fire the strobe. In that case my next move would be to take a small length of wire, an unfolded metal paper clip will do, and use it to connect the pin in the center of the Tx hotshoe foot with the contact in the groove at the side of the foot. This should trigger the flash, since all the camera does is make this switch at the correct point during the exposure when the shutter curtains are fully open. If this works, and other flashes work in the hotshoe, then it would seem as if you have a problem with the alignment of the contact pins, either it goes not far enough on to the hotshoe, so the contact doesn't make, or you have gone on too far, and the contact is past where it should be.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Tom1946
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Apr 2017
Post has been last edited 8 months ago by Tom1946. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 14, 2017 07:47 |  #5

Thanks for the help I don't know what the make of lights or the transmitter are. However the guys in front of me had a Nikon and other had a canon camera.
Don't know the model but lights went off ok for them.

Camera on manual
Iso 100
Speed 125
Shutter f4

Lights and transmitter belong to the camera club so I don't have any other transmitter to test it on.

Tom1946

Tom1946
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Apr 2017
Apr 14, 2017 07:54 as a reply to Tom1946's post |  #6

Camera was set for flash. Is there anything else I need to set from the menu on my camera?

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,739 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Apr 14, 2017 13:29 |  #7

Tom1946 wrote in post #18327627 (external link)
Thanks for the help I don't know what the make of lights or the transmitter are. However the guys in front of me had a Nikon and other had a canon camera.
Don't know the model but lights went off ok for them.

Camera on manual
Iso 100
Speed 125
Shutter f4

Lights and transmitter belong to the camera club so I don't have any other transmitter to test it on.

Tom1946

This doesn't make sense. Is that what you meant to type? My guess is: Aperture f/4.

Tom

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Apr 15, 2017 12:31 |  #8

Tom1946 wrote in post #18327632 (external link)
Camera was set for flash. Is there anything else I need to set from the menu on my camera?

This statement confuses me, since when using manual studio flash, there are no "Flash" settings to use on the camera. With the manual studio strobes the flash contacts will be triggered for every shot regardless of settings. As Tom noted I expect you meant aperture f/4, with a shutter speed of 1/125, which is well within the sync speed of the 40D. Even using rear curtain sync should at least trigger the strobe, even if it didn't necessarily correctly sync to the shutter.

One additional issue with basic studio strobes, no matter how they are triggered is that the EXIF data will not show that the flash fired. Flash fired is only added to the EXIF data when using ETTL flashes.

If the others were working OK then all I can suggest is that you did not have it mounted in the shoe correctly. Although it uses the center pin and side common connectors on the shoe, if you were able to mount the Tx backwards in the shoe there is a potential for the pins to not be correctly aligned. If the Tx is working on other Canon cameras, and you can trigger a flash in the shoe this is about the only thing I could possibly think of that was causing the problem.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

2,692 views & 3 likes for this thread
Question
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.